Sugar the miracle cat survives 19-story fall

Old March 24th 12, 04:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

Default Sugar the miracle cat survives 19-story fall

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ag=re1.channel

(CBS News) BOSTON - Rescuers are calling her a miracle cat. Her name is
Sugar, a white ball of fluff that survived a fall from her owner's window on
the 19th floor of a Boston high rise, reports CBS News affiliate WBZ-Boston.

"I look out my window all the time and I think, 'Wow, this is really high,'"
Sugar's owner, Brittany Kirk told WBZ. She believes in the old saying about
nine lives. "I think she probably used one or two or maybe eight."

When workers with the Animal Rescue League examined the cat, they found it
had minor bruising on the lungs, but no broken bones, no cuts, and no
serious injuries. They estimate she fell between 150 and 200 feet.

Surprisingly, rescuers say studies show cats have a better chance of
surviving falls when they're from higher than nine stories.

"The cats were able to relax, orient themselves in a flying squirrel
position with the legs spread out. It slowed their descent down," said
rescue manager Brian O'Connor

Old March 24th 12, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ag=re1.channel

(CBS News) BOSTON - Rescuers are calling her a miracle cat. Her name is
Sugar, a white ball of fluff that survived a fall from her owner's window
on the 19th floor of a Boston high rise, reports CBS News affiliate
WBZ-Boston.

Wow! Cats are truly amazing creatures. I tripped over the cat steps and
was hurt worse than that little fuzz-ball was

Jill

Old March 24th 12, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
[...]

I saw that on the news here in California. It is amazing!

Joy

Old March 24th 12, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 03/24/2012 09:32 AM, Matthew wrote:
[...]

Poor baby, I'll bet its nerves are shaken , MLB
Old March 25th 12, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Matthew" wrote in message
g.com...
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ag=re1.channel

(CBS News) BOSTON - Rescuers are calling her a miracle cat. Her name is
Sugar, a white ball of fluff that survived a fall from her owner's window
on the 19th floor of a Boston high rise, reports CBS News affiliate
WBZ-Boston.

"I look out my window all the time and I think, 'Wow, this is really
high,'" Sugar's owner, Brittany Kirk told WBZ.

Yep, that's right, Brittany. 19th floor is really high. So keep the
window shut so your cat does not fall out of it (or is that just me being
too careful?) FGS.

Tweed

Old March 25th 12, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"Matthew" wrote in message

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...ag=re1.channel

(CBS News) BOSTON - Rescuers are calling her a miracle cat. Her name is
Sugar, a white ball of fluff that survived a fall from her owner's window
on the 19th floor of a Boston high rise, reports CBS News affiliate
WBZ-Boston.

"I look out my window all the time and I think, 'Wow, this is really
high,'" Sugar's owner, Brittany Kirk told WBZ.

Yep, that's right, Brittany. 19th floor is really high. So keep the
window shut so your cat does not fall out of it (or is that just me being
too careful?) FGS.

No kidding. Maybe a cat has a *better* chance of surviving after falling
19 stories, but it's still 19 stories, and that cat is damn lucky! I'm
amazed at how minor the cat's injuries were.

--
Joyce

A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.
Old March 25th 12, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Matthew" wrote in message

[...]

I've never lived in a high-rise building but I have to wonder why there
weren't some sort screens or bars over those windows. What if Brittany had
a young child?! That is one fortunate feline.

Jill

Old March 25th 12, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Matthew" wrote in message

[...]

Didn't this same thing happen to Eric Clapton's child, who died, of course?
http://www.contactmusic.com/news/cla...emoirs_1046123

If you are in high rise and have precious people/cats in there I suggest
you make sure the windows are shut.

Old March 25th 12, 11:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Bastette" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Matthew" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I remember when that happened. What a tragedy.

If you are in high rise and have precious people/cats in there I suggest
you make sure the windows are shut.

Absolutely. I don't know if you get Home & Garden Television (HGTV) in the
UK. There's a show called 'House Hunters'. On occasion I'll see people
looking at high rise apartments or condominiums with balconies. Invariably
these people have a dog. I'm always disturbed because my first thought is
my gosh, the dog could spot a bird flying by and leap right over that
railing. (shudder)

Jill

Old March 25th 12, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 02:08:37 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
Yep, that's right, Brittany. 19th floor is really high. So keep the
window shut so your cat does not fall out of it (or is that just me being
too careful?) FGS.

But on your side of the pond, that would only be the 18th floor.