I'm adding Taurine

Old February 1st 13, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default I'm adding Taurine

I received the Taurine I ordered from Vitaglo. It's Now Foods pure
Taurine powder. Noone could tell me how much to add so I am starting
with 1/8 teaspoon to one 6 oz can of Wellness turkey. The cats haven't
noticed that I added anything to their food. I am doing this because
Amber doesn't eat a lot and I want to make sure she gets enough Taurine.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old February 1st 13, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 2/1/2013 8:29 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I received the Taurine I ordered from Vitaglo. It's Now Foods pure
Taurine powder. Noone could tell me how much to add so I am starting
with 1/8 teaspoon to one 6 oz can of Wellness turkey. The cats haven't
noticed that I added anything to their food. I am doing this because
Amber doesn't eat a lot and I want to make sure she gets enough Taurine.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I hope it puts your mind at ease.

Of course, I don't know Amber or Tiger. I will say this: not all cats
eat a lot. My neighbor's cat, Fedders (RB 1/2013), was a tiny slip of a
cat who maybe weighed 7 lbs. When I'd cat-sit he *always* acted like he
hadn't eaten in a week. When I'd go over in the morning to feed them,
Fedders would be headbutting my hand and purring like crazy as I tried
to dish up the food. On the flip side, Schwartzie is a much bigger cat
(at least 4 lbs. heavier) with a very laid back attitude about eating.
He couldn't have cared less. "Oh, she's here to feed us." yawn LOL

Jill
Old February 2nd 13, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I received the Taurine I ordered from Vitaglo. It's Now Foods pure
Taurine powder. Noone could tell me how much to add so I am starting
with 1/8 teaspoon to one 6 oz can of Wellness turkey. The cats haven't
noticed that I added anything to their food. I am doing this because
Amber doesn't eat a lot and I want to make sure she gets enough Taurine.

------
Do phone your vet to see whether this is a good idea. I understand the
reason why you've done it but I'd be scared to do it myself.
What if, even if she was not eating much, she had enough taurine in her diet
already?
Did a vet tell you she needed more taurine or was it just your idea?
Please be careful about this, Mike and think very carefully about
self-diagnosing a cat. Often we are right but sometimes we are not.

Tweed

Old February 2nd 13, 02:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default I'm adding Taurine - Tweed

After a lot of google searching, I learned that Taurine is water soluble
and a cat will excrete any "surplus" Taurine in their urine. My vet
couldn't answer my question about if or how much to add. General
opinion is that adding Taurine would NOT be harmful. I am only adding
1/8 teaspoon twice a day for two cats. Remember that Taurine is an
essential Amino Acid - a protein - not a drug.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Taurine supplements ---MIKE--- Cat anecdotes 6 January 24th 13 05:22 PM
Taurine for humans Barry Cat health & behaviour 2 June 25th 07 01:55 AM
Adding new cat Jacqueline Cat health & behaviour 2 July 29th 05 11:27 PM
Taurine Mary Cat health & behaviour 10 March 16th 05 01:55 AM
taurine and microwave Aquagrrl Cat health & behaviour 4 February 29th 04 08:34 PM