Coco is here

Old April 4th 13, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default Coco is gone-welcome Swazzie

Today I picked up Swazzie from a shelter in my town. She is ten years
old and very friendly. Right now she is in hiding mode between my two
couches so I can reach down easily to pet her. I haven't heard any
spitting and Tiger seems unconcerned. I think Swazzie is a bit scared
of the new house (and Tiger). I'm hoping she will come out of hiding
soon.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44� 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old April 4th 13, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"---MIKE---" wrote in message

Today I picked up Swazzie from a shelter in my town. She is ten years
old and very friendly. Right now she is in hiding mode between my two
couches so I can reach down easily to pet her. I haven't heard any
spitting and Tiger seems unconcerned. I think Swazzie is a bit scared
of the new house (and Tiger). I'm hoping she will come out of hiding
soon.

---MIKE---

Mike,

When introducing a new cat to a home with another cat, it is a good idea to
keep the new cat in a room by herself for a few days. This is best both for
the new cat (Swazzie) and for the existing cat (Tiger). Introductions
should be very slow and careful. It can be a recipe for disaster when a new
cat is simply placed in the same room with the existing cat with the hope
that "everything will work out." When I adopted Duffy, I placed him in a
comfortable room, and I alternated between sitting in the room with him and
staying in the rest of the house with Holly. Don't try to pet Swazzie if
she seems nervous--just sit in the room and wait for her to come to you
instead of you going to her. Have food and water nearby plus plenty of toys
(and, of course, a litter box). If you have a feather on a stick, gently
move it back in forth in front of her to attract her attention. You could
also slowly move a string around (but *do not leave it someplace where she
can reach it on her own--you need to be on the other end of the string at
all times). A laser pointer or ball that makes noise is a good option.
Placing Swazzie in a single room for awhile will allow her to slowly become
accustomed to the house and will also give both cats an opportunity to
accept the scents of the other. Use a cloth to pet each cat, thereby
transferring scents back and forth between the cats. It can be helpful to
leave a TV or radio tuned to classical or easy-listening music when you are
out of the room. Don't worry if it takes Swazzie awhile (even a few days)
to come out of hiding. In my case, I waited several weeks before I left
Holly and Duffy alone when I was out of the house, but that was because
Holly had previously shown extreme "attitude" toward other cats that
approached me. Remember, everything is new to her--you, Tiger, the house,
even toys and litter box. Don't expect too much too soon. Give her time!

Good luck with Swazzie, and thank you for adopting her from a shelter.

MaryL

Old April 5th 13, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Today I picked up Swazzie from a shelter in my town. She is ten years
old and very friendly. Right now she is in hiding mode between my two
couches so I can reach down easily to pet her. I haven't heard any
spitting and Tiger seems unconcerned. I think Swazzie is a bit scared
of the new house (and Tiger). I'm hoping she will come out of hiding
soon.

---MIKE---

Great news. Let us know how it goes.

Old April 5th 13, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Coco is gone

"HiThere" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Debbie was uncomfortable with Coco not eating or drinking so she wanted
to take him back. As soon as she appeared, Coco seemed relieved and did
eat a little. I will miss him but he is 14 years old and will be much
happier in his old home. Tiger seems happier now too.

You gave up too soon.

Inappropriate comment, Tweed.

Please do not try to tell me what you feel it's an appropriate post for me
to make. I'll make that decision for myself. At the time I made the post
it was appropriate, now the thread has moved on.

Tweed

Old April 5th 13, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

"Christina Websell" wrote:
"HiThere" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Debbie was uncomfortable with Coco not eating or drinking so she wanted
to take him back. As soon as she appeared, Coco seemed relieved and did
eat a little. I will miss him but he is 14 years old and will be much
happier in his old home. Tiger seems happier now too.

You gave up too soon.

Inappropriate comment, Tweed.

Please do not try to tell me what you feel it's an appropriate post for me
to make. I'll make that decision for myself. At the time I made the post
it was appropriate, now the thread has moved on.

Tweed

You can be very arrogant at times.
--
Adrian
Old April 5th 13, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Swazzie is still hiding. She is behind the bunk bed where I can't reach
her. I have provided food, water and a litter box. This is in the
basement. Tiger has been staying upstairs and is now acting normally.
If I were to follow the advice here, that is where I would place her.
The only difference is I have not closed the door. This is not
necessary since Tiger is not going in there.

Old April 6th 13, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote:
"HiThere" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
Debbie was uncomfortable with Coco not eating or drinking so she wanted
to take him back. As soon as she appeared, Coco seemed relieved and
did
eat a little. I will miss him but he is 14 years old and will be much
happier in his old home. Tiger seems happier now too.

You gave up too soon.

Inappropriate comment, Tweed.

Please do not try to tell me what you feel it's an appropriate post for
me
to make. I'll make that decision for myself. At the time I made the
post
it was appropriate, now the thread has moved on.

Tweed

You can be very arrogant at times.
--
Adrian

I know that..but 2 days was - and is not - enough time to settle a 14 year
old into a new home. You may disagree.
Of course he will be scared about his new home, what elderly boy wouldn't?
Of course he refuses to eat and drink because he wants his previous life
back and is grieving for it.
I would give him longer than two days. He will eat and drink soon in his
new home, he won't starve himself.
I think that is a missed opportunity for this cat to get a good home.
Perhaps I am wrong. If I took on a new cat I'd expect weeks to settle it
in.
Boyfie took years, not months or weeks or two days.

The idea that you take away an old cat after two days in a perfect home
because he is sulking and not eating is ridiculous.
He will eat and drink when he gets hungry and thirsty (unless he is ill)
Let him sulk for a while and take him back to Mike.

A candle for, Coco. Adrian[_4_] Cat anecdotes 0 January 31st 13 11:27 PM
Coco wants me to know: What? Pat[_4_] Cat anecdotes 10 November 17th 09 05:26 PM
Coco has vanished.... Pat[_4_] Cat anecdotes 3 August 29th 09 11:36 PM
I held Coco Pat[_4_] Cat anecdotes 7 August 27th 09 11:55 PM
Coco has been trapped! Pat[_4_] Cat anecdotes 7 August 26th 09 01:19 AM