Hematoma

Old October 18th 05, 03:04 PM
Perry Justus

Default Hematoma

Hi,

One of my cats has a hematoma (very swollen ear). I really want to
take him to the vet to have it profesionally cared for, but we're on
such a tight budget that there's no way we could afford the procedure.
What would you recommend doing?

I just found out today that the wrinkly ear thing is caused by
hematoma; his *other* ear is like that, but we never saw it happen to
him. Similarly, one of my other cats has the same wrinkled ear, and
we never saw that one develop either. (Some of my cats cats are in
the garage at night.)

Could any one explain why something like this could go on for weeks
(as some experiences I've read suggest), while others happen in the
blink of an eye? Would the ear really look less disfigured if it were
surgically treated? Again, I would love to take him to the vet, but
it would be nearly impossible to afford.

Thanks,
Perry
Old October 18th 05, 04:00 PM
cybercat

"Perry Justus" wrote in message
[...]

Aren't these caused by scratching a lot? If your cat is scratching that
much you really do need to take him to the vet.

Old October 18th 05, 09:18 PM
Paul M. Cook

[...]

The procedure is not especially expensive. It involves making a slit in the
ear allowing the site to drain and heal. You need to call your vet, explain
the financial issue and work something out. Any good vet will do this. If
our vet won't then find one who will. The ear will never look the same but
it has to be treated. Not having it treated is not an option. It could get
infectedm rupture or cause necrosis if not properly cared for.

Think of all the things you spend money on that cost the same or less than
the procedure. It's not such a lot of money spread out over 3-4 months.
Work with the vets, they will help you.

Paul

Old October 18th 05, 10:35 PM
Perry Justus

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:00:33 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"Perry Justus" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

What's really weird is that he *doesn't* scratch his ears that much.
I just wonder if he got in a fight or something...

Perry
Old October 18th 05, 10:38 PM
cybercat

wrote:

What's really weird is that he *doesn't* scratch his ears that much.
I just wonder if he got in a fight or something...

Maybe--but BOTH ears? In any case, Paul is right. He really needs to go to
the
vet. I am sure one of your vets would work it out with you so you could pay
in installments. You might consider keeping your cat inside so that he is
not
exposed to things like fights and disease--but for sure he needs to see the
vet
now. He might be in pain, and his ears might get infected. I can tell you
care
about him, so I know you will help him now. Do let us know how it works out.

Old October 19th 05, 10:21 PM
Phil P.

"Perry Justus" wrote in message
Hi,

One of my cats has a hematoma (very swollen ear). I really want to
take him to the vet to have it profesionally cared for, but we're on
such a tight budget that there's no way we could afford the procedure.
What would you recommend doing?

Tightening your budget a little more and reevaluating your priorities so you
can take your cat to the vet.

I just found out today that the wrinkly ear thing is caused by
hematoma; his *other* ear is like that, but we never saw it happen to
him. Similarly, one of my other cats has the same wrinkled ear, and
we never saw that one develop either. (Some of my cats cats are in
the garage at night.)

Could any one explain why something like this could go on for weeks
(as some experiences I've read suggest), while others happen in the
blink of an eye?

Because some hematomas are small and sometimes heal on their own and others
are large and chronic- it depends on the amount of damage. Shaking his head
and/or scratching his ear can fracture the cartilage of the earflap (pinna)
and the delicate blood vessels inside the cartilage. Once the bleeding
starts inside the cartilage- it usually continues until the pressure causes
the blood to clot. Scratching his ear and shaking his head will only
increases the pressure inside the hematoma- which will separate the
fractured cartilage even further and cause the hemorrhaging to begin again.
If the hematoma is left untreated, the fibrin in the blood starts to
dissolve leaving a bloody mass inside the pinna.

Would the ear really look less disfigured if it were
surgically treated?

If you get him treated right away- there might be no disfigurement- not even
a scar. But if you don't have it treated, it will get bigger and deform the
ear (cauliflower ear) as well as become infected. If the infection gets
into
the bloodstream it can travel to other organs and anywhere in the body. Not
to mention the continuous discomfort.

You also need to find the *cause* that's making his ear itch- he may have
otitis externa that might be secondary to some underlying primary ear
disorder such as ear mites.

Again, I would love to take him to the vet, but
it would be nearly impossible to afford.

The cat needs to seen by a vet *now*. Treatment probably won't be expensive
if you get him treated *now*- but it will be later.

If you have a decent relationship with your vet, I'm sure he'll accept
partial payments.

Old October 21st 05, 01:45 AM
Perry Justus

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:21:23 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:
[...]

Update...

My Mom initially did not want to take him to the vet, thinking that it
would probably run its course. However, it turns out that our vet is
really good about letting people pay things out. So today, we took
him in for surgery and they're going to keep him until Monday (so he
doesn't sling blood all over the house!).

I'm afraid that his ear may be a little screwed up, since we didn't
take him in immediately (as I actually did, before I knew what it was
and thought it might be life-threatening), but hopefully he'll be
fine.

The doc said that he's seen four or five cats and six or seven dogs in
the past week or two with hematomas... said it's really common right
now. Weird, eh?

Perry
Old October 21st 05, 02:38 AM
Cheryl

On Thu 20 Oct 2005 08:45:06p, Perry Justus wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(news
The doc said that he's seen four or five cats and six or seven
dogs in the past week or two with hematomas... said it's really
common right now. Weird, eh?

I heard the same thing from our vet recently when I took a one year
old male in for swollen paw pads. He was licking and chewing them,
had some inflammation and some blister-looking sores that looked
almost like burns. In between the pads was inflammed. She said she's
seen a lot of this over the last month or so, and attributes it to
allergy - either ragweed or mold spores. Depending on where you're
located, definately seasonal.

--
Cheryl
Old October 21st 05, 08:45 PM
Becky

Hiya

My siamese cat Fawn developed a hematoma 2 weeks ago.
(I think it was arose due to him scratching/headshaking and worrying at a
small cut on his head)
He has been treated but im still worried about him...if anybody knows more
about this please may i ask your opinion?
The vet told me if it is left untreated, it can disperse on its own but is
likely to recurr and if so, will cause 'complications', cailiflower
ear,pain,possible infection. They immediately recommended surgery which
involved draining the ear, stitching it up with plastic tubes both on the
outside and underside of the ear flap, looked very messy but apparently the
tubing is to put pressure on the cartilege layers to stop the ear from
filling up again.
Unfortunately, they seemed to have left a gap with no tubes/stitches and
another smaller lump developed within 4-5 days after surgery :-(
Took him straight back to the vets and they had to do the operation again,
this time they stiched the whole ear, plastic tubes all over, looks very
messy and very uncomfortable for the Fawn :-(
This 2nd operation was 3 days ago and im worried as his earflap looks
generally thicker than the other, even underneath those plastic tubes. Im
really worried the hematoma is returning again....is this likely? Surely it
cant recurr after 2 operations, i dont know what else they can do! I cant
put him through surgery again!
Any advice/opinions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Becky

Old October 23rd 05, 02:38 PM
cybercat

"Becky" wrote in message
Hiya

My siamese cat Fawn developed a hematoma 2 weeks ago.

Becky, how is Fawn today?