Cat Won't Stop Pawing Doors

Old January 3rd 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

Default Cat Won't Stop Pawing Doors

number 5 is a last resort let me make that clear

"Matthew" wrote in message
Jill there are several ways to deal with this.

1 let the furball in or out of the carrier

2 as some one else pointed out it could be a behavioral by product of the
declawing depending on how long ago it was. but this I doubt from what I
have read so far

3 you can get them more toys to keep furball occupied

4 IMO sounds like the furball is training you for the attention that it
wants. It paws you open door and pay attention to it.

5 There are several ways to stop them from doing this take a coffee can
full of marbles when furball does it rattle that can like no tomorrow or
you can take a hair dryer and set it up by the door with an extension
corded the furball paws than plug in hair dryer pussy cat in both
incidents runs like the sky is falling most stop after second or third
time If not than it becomes death from above ( water )

6 Try setting up a scratching post maybe the door feels good to him
stretching his paws

7 Also try give him more attention some how some way earlier in the
evening cats are nocturnal sleeping up to 18 hours a day.

8 If this just started is there anything that has changed in the household
cats can pick up on stressful situation and act on it in our terms
peculiar ways. Example new furniture new boyfriend girlfriend new daily
routine

Me I gave up along time ago and let them in the room and put up with the
wake up calls. If they get too bad I use the OH MY GOD VOICE and they
scatter not coming back for awhile. But like most cat slaves most of us
have become tolerant of our masters needs

Ohh pss all cats our independent dogs have masters cats have slaves

"Jill" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello, I have had my cat from over a year now. He's been declawed and
neutered since I've owned him. He's never been affectionate towards me
expect when I first come home from work (and thats for about 5 mins).

Over the last 4 days, he's taken on a bad and very frustrating/annoying
behavior. Every late night/early morning (I'm talking about 3 or 4
am), he starts pawing on the closet door until he wakes me up then he
runs and hides. If he had claws it would be like he's sharpening his
claws in turbo mode.

The first time, he ran out into the kitchen where his bowl was and I
saw he was low on food and water so I topped his bowl off, thinking
that was his way of saying I'm hungry, then laid back down. About 20
mins later, he started it again. I sat up, he ran and hid. This will
continue until I'm up for the day; every 10 to 15 mins he's pawing a
door to wake me back up.

If it was just the one closet door, I'd think there was something in
there he wanted. However, I moved his carrier in front of the door, so
he then moved to the 2nd closet door. If I shut him out of the
bedroom, he paws the bedroom door until I wake up and let him in. If I
move out to try and sleep on my living room couch, he paws the front
door or the entry way coat closet door.

I've tried everything from giving him a light swat on the butt and
telling him no TO tossing a shoe at the wall near him (NOT at him, to
try and scare him away from the door; he runs, but comes back a few
mins later) TO putting him in his carrier (which he just paws at the
carrier door which is more annoying)....

I don't know what else to try, but I'm EXHAUSTED after being woken up
constantly...He doesn't like to play during waking hours and again he's
not an affectionate cat (very independent).

Can anyone suggest another idea? I'd love to get some sleep tonight.

Old January 3rd 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Wed, 03 Jan 2007 00:16:45 GMT, Cheryl
wrote:

And, thank you. This wasn't a message to Jill because I read that
her cat was already declawed when she adopted him. That's another
thing that I hope people learn, that if they really feel they need
to have a declawed cat, there are plenty in the shelters to adopt.
The problem then is that they will learn *why* they are in the
shelters. Too many behavioral issues that come along post-surgery.
And many times, *years* post-surgery. I hope that people can learn
that cats need to be able to stretch, and they do it by hooking
their claws into something. When they have something that is
totally theirs, they learn quickly (the cat; not us stoopid hoomins
LOL) that it is theirs and continue to exercise this way. Ugh,
don't get me started. LOL

I agree with you again!

Also, I know your message wasn't to Jill and was to someone who was
shrieking at her. The thing is, that wouldn't be appropriate even if Jill
was the one who had the cat declawed IMO. Most people who do this simply
don't understand (as you pointed out) and it is far better to educate than
to alienate.

--
Lynne

Old January 3rd 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cardarch

If he has no claws and so cannot damage the doors he wishes to open
then he cant be making much noise so you could just keep some earplugs
next to your bed and insert them into your ear canals when ever he
makes this little racket.

Old January 3rd 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Charlie Wilkes

On 2 Jan 2007 15:05:18 -0800, "bookie"
wrote:

Jill wrote:
Bookie, he was already declawed when I got him from the humane society.
I asked for help, not a nasty response about declawing....So RUDE!

like i said to you personally, your message implied that he had been
declawed whilst in your care

I didn't read it that way.

and therefore it would appear to myself,
and many others reading, that you had been responsible for this
declawing, so what the hell do you expect me to say? be clearer in your
posting in future especially when referring to declawing or you will
get a sharp response from myself and a fair few other people on the
matter (am I the only person here who can actually read English?)

I am not apologising for someone else's inability to communicate
correctly

She communicates just fine. You went off half-cocked and made
yourself look like a sanctimonious twit.

Charlie
Old January 3rd 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Wed, 03 Jan 2007 01:25:50 GMT, Charlie Wilkes
wrote:

I didn't read it that way.

Neither did I.

She communicates just fine. You went off half-cocked and made
yourself look like a sanctimonious twit.

BING!

--
Lynne

Old January 3rd 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 02 Jan 2007 05:35:04p, Matthew wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

5 There are several ways to stop them from doing this take a
coffee can full of marbles when furball does it rattle that can
like no tomorrow or you can take a hair dryer and set it up by
the door with an extension corded the furball paws than plug in
hair dryer pussy cat in both incidents runs like the sky is
falling most stop after second or third time If not than it
becomes death from above ( water )

But never mix a turned-on hairdryer with water.

--
Cheryl

Old January 3rd 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 02 Jan 2007 08:22:01p, cardarch wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com:

If he has no claws and so cannot damage the doors he wishes to
open then he cant be making much noise so you could just keep
some earplugs next to your bed and insert them into your ear
canals when ever he makes this little racket.

Thank you. You have the best point of all! How noisy can it be to
have a declawed cat pawing at a door? I've never had a declawed cat,
so it didn't occur to me that it can't be at all noisy. My gang is
noisy at everything they do, so nothing fazes me any more.

--
Cheryl

Old January 3rd 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Tue 02 Jan 2007 08:22:01p, cardarch wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com:

If he has no claws and so cannot damage the doors he wishes to
open then he cant be making much noise so you could just keep
some earplugs next to your bed and insert them into your ear
canals when ever he makes this little racket.

Thank you. You have the best point of all! How noisy can it be to
have a declawed cat pawing at a door? I've never had a declawed cat,
so it didn't occur to me that it can't be at all noisy. My gang is
noisy at everything they do, so nothing fazes me any more.

--
Cheryl

What cat doesn't make a show of what they are doing ;-)

Old January 3rd 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew

"Matthew" wrote in message

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Tue 02 Jan 2007 08:22:01p, cardarch wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com:

If he has no claws and so cannot damage the doors he wishes to
open then he cant be making much noise so you could just keep
some earplugs next to your bed and insert them into your ear
canals when ever he makes this little racket.

Thank you. You have the best point of all! How noisy can it be to
have a declawed cat pawing at a door? I've never had a declawed cat,
so it didn't occur to me that it can't be at all noisy. My gang is
noisy at everything they do, so nothing fazes me any more.

--
Cheryl

What cat doesn't make a show of what they are doing ;-)

Or is that just Barry ;-)

Old January 3rd 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

wrote:

Jill wrote:
Bookie, he was already declawed when I got him from the humane society.
I asked for help, not a nasty response about declawing....So RUDE!

like i said to you personally, your message implied that he had been
declawed whilst in your care

I didn't read it that way.

and therefore it would appear to myself,
and many others reading, that you had been responsible for this
declawing, so what the hell do you expect me to say? be clearer in your
posting in future especially when referring to declawing or you will
get a sharp response from myself and a fair few other people on the
matter (am I the only person here who can actually read English?)

I am not apologising for someone else's inability to communicate
correctly

She communicates just fine. You went off half-cocked and made
yourself look like a sanctimonious twit.

read her post again, if you had the even the most basic grasp of
english and it's intricacies then you would realise that she WAS
implying that she had had the cat declawed whilst in her care.
also do you know what sanctimonious actually means? probably not