Kitten has been sneezing for 3-4 weeks now

Old September 6th 03, 08:37 PM
blkcatgal

Default Kitten has been sneezing for 3-4 weeks now

My 3 month old kitten has been sneezing now for close to 4 weeks. I had him
for about a week when he began sneezing. I immediately took him to the vet
but, because the kitten was acting and eating normal, the vet recommended
that we do nothing an let the virus either 1) run it's course or 2) develop
into a full-blown URI and then treat. The kitten never developed any other
symptoms and still is acting and eating like a normal kitten. My other cat,
however, did get the cold which we treated with antibiotics. He;s fine now.
It's been almost 4 weeks now and the kitten is still sneezing. Still no
other symptoms. He was at the vet again about a week ago and once again the
vet recommended we do nothing and said sometimes these viruses take a little
long to get out the system.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Sue

Old September 7th 03, 12:50 AM
Sherry

[...]

Here are my thoughts...but I'll preface this with saying Im probably the least
knowledgeable about health issues on this board. But anytime I've ever had a
cat who either had a recurring URI or one that wouldn't go away, it was always
bad news, and always due to an immune deficiency problem. FeLV, FIV. Herpes
even. I *hope and pray* your kitty just has an ordinary cold that he's having a
hard time getting over. I'd get a second opinion, I think, if he doesn't
improve pretty soon. OTOH, don't some cats have allergies? Good luck.

Sherry

Old September 7th 03, 01:58 AM
whayface

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 15:37:44 -0400, "blkcatgal"
wrote:

My 3 month old kitten has been sneezing now for close to 4 weeks. I had him
for about a week when he began sneezing. I immediately took him to the vet
but, because the kitten was acting and eating normal, the vet recommended
that we do nothing an let the virus either 1) run it's course or 2) develop
into a full-blown URI and then treat. The kitten never developed any other
symptoms and still is acting and eating like a normal kitten. My other cat,
however, did get the cold which we treated with antibiotics. He;s fine now.
It's been almost 4 weeks now and the kitten is still sneezing. Still no
other symptoms. He was at the vet again about a week ago and once again the
vet recommended we do nothing and said sometimes these viruses take a little
long to get out the system.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Sue

Take it to another vet!!!

http://www.ameritech.net/users/lestark/my-babies.htm

Old September 7th 03, 03:05 AM
blkcatgal

He's tested negative for FeLV, not sure of FIV. Vet mentioned herpes, but
said that there should be more symptoms. Sneezing seems to be less
frequent, so maybe he's getting over whatever he's got. He's got another
vet appointment next week, so we'll see then.

Sue

Old September 7th 03, 04:29 AM
IBen Getiner

"blkcatgal" wrote in message ...
My 3 month old kitten has been sneezing now for close to 4 weeks. I had him
for about a week when he began sneezing. I immediately took him to the vet
but, because the kitten was acting and eating normal, the vet recommended
that we do nothing an let the virus either 1) run it's course or 2) develop
into a full-blown URI and then treat. The kitten never developed any other
symptoms and still is acting and eating like a normal kitten. My other cat,
however, did get the cold which we treated with antibiotics. He;s fine now.
It's been almost 4 weeks now and the kitten is still sneezing. Still no
other symptoms. He was at the vet again about a week ago and once again the
vet recommended we do nothing and said sometimes these viruses take a little
long to get out the system.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Sue

I had a dog as a kid that went thru a sneezing fit like this once. It
went on for weeks. Near the end, he would slam his head violently into
the ground as he would sneeze. I soon found out why.. Finally, upon
one supreme sneeze, a small green shape started to emerge from one of
his nostrals. It was a long single blade of saw grass. It had
backwards slanting fibres on it that ran it's entire 8 inch length,
allowing it to move forward but not back. It just took time to work
itself thru his nasal system to a logical outlet.
Do you let your cat outside?

Old September 8th 03, 01:05 AM
Cheryl

In ,
blkcatgal composed with style:
He's tested negative for FeLV, not sure of FIV. Vet mentioned
herpes, but said that there should be more symptoms. Sneezing
seems to be less frequent, so maybe he's getting over whatever he's
got. He's got another vet appointment next week, so we'll see then.

Sue

The FeLV/FIV test are given in a combo. They should have told you neg
to both. If it's herpes (common in kittens) l-lysine given in his
food will help. Capsules come in 500 mg doses. Split between two
meals per day for a week or so. Did his eyes get swollen, goopy? My
feral got just the URI after being spayed and I understand herpes can
flare up from just stress. Her eyes were never affected. I started
her on l-lysine at the first sign of drippy, snuffly nose and I did
get ABs for her because her breathing got really raspy. She cleared
it all in a week. I had to hand feed her during this because she
could not smell.

Guest Cat & Kitten LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM
Resident female cat does not accept new kitten Help!!!!! Dan Coleman Cat health & behaviour 4 July 23rd 03 04:55 PM