I captured a feral tom in my house last night

Old March 31st 06, 07:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default I captured a feral tom in my house last night

223rem wrote:

The question is why didnt he learn that there is a lot of danger
associated with this particular source of food.

Because there wasn't. It might have scared him to be trapped inside,
but it didn't harm him, so really, there was no actual danger.

Do you know if there are any feral rescue groups in your area? Your
vet might know if there is. They would probably be very helpful to you.

Joyce
Old March 31st 06, 08:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

And he'll father far fewer unwanted kittens!!

Natch :-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 31st 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

223rem wrote:
snip
1. take him to the vet to have him neutered.
The problem is that he's a wild animal, so
the vet may get hurt.

2. take him to the humane society: they'll
kill him, so not an option

3. drive him 20 or 30 miles into the
boonies and release him there.

Any other options?
Thanks.

Take him to the vet and have him neutered, it is the kindest thing to do.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old March 31st 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

223rem wrote:

-------------------------
The question is why didnt he learn that there is a lot of danger
associated with this particular source of food.

He must be very hungry.

Rhonda

Old March 31st 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 30 Mar 2006 14:02:51 -0800, "223rem" wrote:

I keep a ground floor window open at all times for my cats to
get in and out as they please.

In the last several months, a feral tom has been getting into the
house
through that window at night, and the sounds of him fighting my
cats used to wake me up 2 or 3 times a week around 3 am.
I would get out of bed and run into the kitchen but by the time I
would get there, I would only see his tail disappearing through the
window
into the night.

So I propped the window up with a stick, tied a cord
to the stick, and ran the cord into the bedroom.
About a month ago, I heard them fighting, and I pulled
the cord trapping him inside. He went completely wild,
screaming, bouncing off walls, knocking furniture and
objects down, etc.

In the end, he hid in a cupboard where he spent the night, and
I released him in the morning, thinking that he'd be scared enough
of the experience to not come visit again.

Last week, he started coming inside again. Last
night, I again trapped him inside, but this time
I managed to get him into the cat carrier. It
wasnt easy or pretty--I had to use an improvised
noose on a stick thing, like the dog catchers
use (I used 2 tubes from a vacuum cleaner and
plastic clothesrope). I'm sorry I had to do it that way, but
he was again so utterly nuts and wild that I couldnt
handle him.

So now the question is: what should I do?

1. take him to the vet to have him neutered.
The problem is that he's a wild animal, so
the vet may get hurt.

2. take him to the humane society: they'll
kill him, so not an option

3. drive him 20 or 30 miles into the
boonies and release him there.

Any other options?
Thanks.

Option 1. Get him neutered. Just make sure you take him to a vet
that deals with ferals. Some do all the time, and they know how to be
cautious around ferals.

If you take him away from his territory, he may not survive (Option
3). So this is not good. He needs to stay where he knows where food
sources are, etc.

You might want to try alleycatallies.org for more info. Also see if
there are any groups in your area that work with ferals.

Best of luck,

Ginger-lyn
who adores her former feral Brando

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Animals in Movies Website)
Old March 31st 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

223rem wrote:

Warm house. Open window. Other cats. Cat food.

So I should have kept the windows shut and my cats
confined indoors?

A lot of people here will say "yes"! I'm not one of them -
I believe in allowing my cats to be indoor/outdoor, if at
all possible. ("The authorities" seems to be divided on the
subject - quite a few of them claim that cats do better if
NOT confined.)

Old March 31st 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

223rem wrote:

Not at all. Just can't really blame the poor guy for taking advantage.

-------------------------
The question is why didnt he learn that there is a lot of danger
associated with this particular source of food.

Define "danger". Perhaps the advantages outweighed the
disadvantages, in his mind.

Old March 31st 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

223rem wrote:

Warm house. Open window. Other cats. Cat food.

So I should have kept the windows shut and my cats
confined indoors?

A lot of people here will say "yes"! I'm not one of them - I believe in
allowing my cats to be indoor/outdoor, if at all possible. ("The
authorities" seems to be divided on the subject - quite a few of them
claim that cats do better if NOT confined.)

Our new family member seems to be weighing in on the subject. Kayla the
five month old BC pup. For whatever reason, trying to keep her "herd"
together, or knowing I'm more relaxed when the cats are in or what, she
makes a effort to keep the cats from going outside. And if they try to
relax in the back yard that is her domain, she tries to get them back
inside.

Their Royal Highnesses and a bit miffed by the whole routine. But tend to
come in and stay in more just so she will leave them alone. They have not
however conceded her portion of the house to her.

Jo

Old April 3rd 06, 10:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 30 Mar 2006 14:02:51 -0800, "223rem" wrote:

1. take him to the vet to have him neutered.
The problem is that he's a wild animal, so
the vet may get hurt.

Definitely the option I'd choose. Who knows, if he tests clean you may
eventually find that you have a real treasure. There is really nothing
like watching a true feral learn to trust us hoomins. Your situation
is very much like mine when I first started feeding Rocky. Although it
took a couple years before he decided to trust me, once he did he
became very special.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy, Little Bit and Spot

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: