OT, but I love it

Old April 11th 04, 07:00 AM
Yoj

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

Marina wrote:

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers"

wrote
The BBC has an online article about the farm in Alaska which

injects dye
into
chicken eggs so that when the eggs hatch, the chicks come out in

various
colours, such as green, pink, blue and the like. The article is at

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3615191.stm

The bit I find hilarious is towards the end it says, "The dye,

which the
farm
insists does not contain chemicals, is injected into ordinary

chicken eggs
few weeks before Easter."

Err, just what do the farm people think a dye is made of?

*Everything* is
made
of chemicals ;-)

LOL! Reminds me of the brand of chick peas that I used to buy. The
manufacturers solemnly declared on the packet that they had been

"grown
biologically". Excuse me? Growth is always a biological process,

however
much e.g. insecticide you spray on the plant. ;o)

The term that cracks me up is "organic" - for the same reasons.
Especially "organic milk" - so long as it comes from a cow, what else
COULD it be but "organic"? But you now find "fat free half-and-half"

in
the dairy case, too - an oxymoron if ever there was one! (For our non
USA readers, "half and half" is a mixture of half cream and half

milk -
how can you have "fat free" cream?)
--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

There's also "fat free" sour cream. I've seen that in the stores, too.
I guess that's what they call "spin".

Joy

Old April 11th 04, 10:22 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

The term that cracks me up is "organic" - for the same reasons.

There is actually a *specific* meaning to the term "organic" in relation to
food - certainly over here in the UK. It means the food has been produced
subject to very strict criteria, such as the animals having no routine dosing
with anti-biotics, no growth hormones, only fed on feedstuffs that have had no
pesticides and the like on them. Unlike foods produced via "non-organic" means
which is basically intensive agriculture.

Especially "organic milk" - so long as it comes from a cow, what else
COULD it be but "organic"?

See above - in relation to how the cow was raised, housed, fed etc., there
really is a *specific* meaning to the term.

But you now find "fat free half-and-half" in
the dairy case, too - an oxymoron if ever there was one!

Now that one *is* a decidedly strange one :-)

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old April 11th 04, 02:44 PM
Kreisleriana

On 11 Apr 2004 05:05:22 GMT, itty (Sherry ) yodeled:

What I'm saying is that another word needs to be found for the
relevant set of farming practices so we can quit with the misuse of
"organic". Any plant is grown "organically", since plant growth occurs
via organic chemical processes. :-)

Well, language evolves. What used to be "misuse" of lots of words now have
acceptable alternate definitions. Sounds like this is one:
Main Entry: [1]or·gan·ic
Pronunciation: or-'ga-nik
Function: adjective
(snipped for brevity)
(2) : of, relating to, yielding, or involving the use of food produced with
the use of feed or fertilizer of plant or animal origin without employment of
chemically formulated fertilizers, growth stimulants, antibiotics, or
pesticides organic farming organic produce

Sherry

I agree with you, Sherry. Anyone in a specialized field just has to
live with the expanded and perhaps more imprecise meanings that their
terminology might have for the general public.

For example, I come from a musical background. For me, the words
"song," "crescendo" and "cadence" have very specific meanings which
are not grasped by the general public, and also further stretched for
literary purposes. If I spent my life trying to correct every lay
person's "misuse" of these words, I'd die of exhaustion.

Theresa
alt.tv.frasier FAQ:
http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old April 11th 04, 02:44 PM
Kreisleriana

[...]

Ladies Love Outlaws (The Saga of Sheba and Maximilian) GraceCat Cat anecdotes 11 March 2nd 04 06:04 PM
Cat Love Bites jmcquown Cat anecdotes 6 November 16th 03 11:15 AM
cats and why I love them Butternut_Jo Cat anecdotes 4 November 15th 03 10:36 PM
Love Calls in the Driveway Bev Cat anecdotes 11 October 17th 03 01:36 AM