I'm a bit worried, too (OT)

Old March 22nd 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default I'm a bit worried, too (OT)

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Those of you who have been posting here for some time will remember the
major surgery I had to have last year.

I have a similar incision and a similar hernia from surgery five years
ago. I look a little strange in a knit top because the lump/bulge it forms
is off center. But my doctor is unconcerned and uninterested in me having
it repaired. So I just try to ignore it.

Doesn't it cause you some discomfort, though? Mine does, although yours
sounds to be larger.
Were you offered the option of a repair? It's all very well for your doctor
to be unconcerned, it's not him/her that's got it, is it?

Tweed

Old March 22nd 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Marina" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I need big hugs, I am so fed up with not being able to get out the cycle
of some sort of illness for long.

I know exactly what you mean, Tweed. You're just thinking, 'yeah, I beat
that one' when something new crops up. This is my life. {{{{{Tweed}}}}}
Hang in there!

Yep, just thinking that *just maybe* it's all over and I can start getting
on the up again, when something else happens.
Although I do think that you are worse off healthwise than me, Marina, and I
admire the fact that you keep as cheerful as you do. You are an inspiration
really.
Although sometimes it feels as if I will never be well, I know I probably
will ;-) sometime in the future.
I would not swap all my operations for your diabetes.
hugs and purrs
Tweed

Old March 22nd 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default UPDATE I'm a bit worried, too (OT)

On 2006-03-22, Christina Websell penned:

I always have to lift heavy things. I buy 60 kgs of food weekly for
my poultry and there is no-one except me to lift each 20kg sack out
of the car on to a trolley and lift them again to empty them into
the food bins.

As my aunt's large dog got older, he had trouble getting into the back
of her car. She bought a ramp that he can use.

I wonder if you couldn't get something similar and roll a dolly (is
that the US version of a trolley?) up the ramp.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 22nd 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Well, I decided I ought to make an appointment with my doctor, so I
phoned
yesterday after I got home from work. It took half an hour to get
through,
their phone was continually engaged.
"Could I make an appointment to see one of the doctors, please?"

"If you want an appointment this week, you have to phone at 8 a.m each
day."

"Okay, thanks.."

In your situation and with that kind of a wait time, I would make a
direct approach to the secretary of the consultant who treated you and
explain in detail your history and your concerns. May be able to get
some feedback that way and either bypass the GP practice or find out it
will be OK to wait for an appt. It should be possible to speak directly
to the consultant's secretary either via the switchboard or maybe
looking on the hosp website for a number.

I did consider that but I don't really want to bother my consultant. I made
a personal visit to my GP's surgery today to make an appointment. The
earliest I could get one was Monday 3 March so I booked it. If I'd wanted
to see a particular GP, it would have been longer, I said I wasn't bothered
who I saw, so I got my appointment with the least popular doctor in the
practice, Dr N.

The reason he is unpopular is because his English is very poor, it's very
difficult to understand what he says. I've heard lots of patients say that
they don't want to see him as they come out of the consultation no wiser
than when they went in.
I have a soft spot for him. It was he who admitted me immediately to
hospital with bad abdominal pain and therefore effectively saved my life
last year.
A few years ago, a dog fight erupted here, so severe that I had to prise
open some jaws to make them let go. I got bitten on the hands in the
fracas. I popped down the the surgery and saw Dr N. I explained what had
happened very carefully as I didn't want him to think my dogs had actually
*bitten* me.
He listened, then leaned forward in a very confidential manner and whispered
"Why were you fighting with a dog?" !!

Tweed

Old March 22nd 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

I did consider that but I don't really want to bother my consultant. I made
a personal visit to my GP's surgery today to make an appointment. The
earliest I could get one was Monday 3 March so I booked it. If I'd wanted
to see a particular GP, it would have been longer, I said I wasn't bothered
who I saw, so I got my appointment with the least popular doctor in the
practice, Dr N.

He sounds like a good guy to me :-)
You should not be worried about 'bothering' your consultant - don't be
old-fashioned ;-) That's what his secretary is there for, to field such
calls and he is there to look after his patients, of whom you are one.
You are entitled to ask for help and with the NHS sometimes you need to
shout to get it ;-) Anyway, hopefully Dr N will make sure you receive
the appropriate care ASAP, and if anything worsens in the meantime don't
hesitate to demand a more urgent appointment. Speaking as a medical
artist, who gets to see things from the medics' side from time to time!

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old March 22nd 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jo Firey" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Those of you who have been posting here for some time will remember the
major surgery I had to have last year.

I have a similar incision and a similar hernia from surgery five years
ago. I look a little strange in a knit top because the lump/bulge it
forms is off center. But my doctor is unconcerned and uninterested in me
having it repaired. So I just try to ignore it.

Doesn't it cause you some discomfort, though? Mine does, although yours
sounds to be larger.
Were you offered the option of a repair? It's all very well for your
doctor to be unconcerned, it's not him/her that's got it, is it?

Tweed

I have some discomfort, but most of that I think is from adhesions from the
surgery. Considering the surgery itself nearly killed me, and the very long
time it took for the incision to heal, I'm in no mood to fix anything that
doesn't absolutely have to be fixed. I have four or five other very small
incision hernia's as well but they cause no trouble at all.

Given that I now look like I have four navels, I don't much worry about how
the rest looks. I'm just glad none of the scars are red anymore. Just pale
lines and dots.

My sister-in-law did just have surgery to repair an incision hernia from
abdominal surgery she had about five years ago. No problems at all.

Jo

Jo

Old March 22nd 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

Well, I decided I ought to make an appointment with my doctor, so I phoned
yesterday after I got home from work. It took half an hour to get through,
their phone was continually engaged.
"Could I make an appointment to see one of the doctors, please?"

"If you want an appointment this week, you have to phone at 8 a.m each day."

"Okay, thanks.."

Now why did I say that, and then put the phone down?? It's not convenient
for me to phone at 8 a.m. I am in the shower then, to leave for work at
8.15 to get there for 9.
At one minute past 8 (I've done this before) the phone is continually
engaged until about 9, and by that time all the appointments are gone.

snip

Unfortunately getting an appointment to see my GP is about as hard for
me as it is for you, Christina
Lots and lots of purrs and best wishes for you to get lucky and get an
appointment to see your GP really soon,
Polonca and Soncek

Old March 22nd 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Dr N sounds like a great doctor and I am glad you are going to see him.
If he helped you to be admitted to the hospital, I'm sure he is going to
help you now.
Lots and lots of purrs and gentle calming hugs,
Polonca and Soncek