[OT] Age Appropriate Dress?

Old January 28th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Age Appropriate Dress?

CatNipped wrote:
I'm watching "The View" and one of their "hot topics" was whether women
should stop wearing certain types of clothing as they get older (the example
used was women who were over 40 shouldn't wear "Juicies" work-out clothes.
Someone said that *nobody* should wear sleeveless blouses or dresses if they
have flabby upper arms (here in Houston where it sometimes gets to be 115F
with 2000% humidity this flabby-upper-armed MaMere *really* objects to that
objection!).

What do you guys think? Should you not wear a mini skirt - even if you have
killer legs - past a certain age?

Honestly, I think people should wear whatever they want. But that
beinmg said - I find some styles unattractive. Miniskirts on "older"
women make them look like they are trying to be younger, which to me
disrespects their maturity - I believe a woman should love her body as
it ages and appreciate the changes that happen, and even if she
maintains a "killer" feature, it's sort of silly to wear something that
is really geared toward the 20-something and younger crowd, when there
are so many beautiful clothing syles which can be worn at any age.
Same for belly shirts and stilleto (sp?) heels. Those articles just
say "young girl" to me. However, I would much rather see a
40-something woman wear these styles that a pre-teen, which is becoming
more and more common these days shudder.

I also think heavier women should wear clothing that looks good on
their size. I think a heavy girl with fat rolls exposed is unsightly -
it looks like she borrowed her little sister's shirt and pants. Hip
huggers are also a problem for heavier women. I don't like clingy
clothing on anyone as I think it sort of defeats the purpose of wearing
clothing, and usually isn't attractive. Exposed arms doesn't bother me
as I don't see that as an age-related clothing style and arms are sort
of utilitarian, so to speak.

And, IMO, thongs are gross on anyone. Butt floss is just nasty.

-L.

Old January 28th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Age Appropriate Dress?

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I'm watching "The View" and one of their "hot topics" was whether women
should stop wearing certain types of clothing as they get older (the
example used was women who were over 40 shouldn't wear "Juicies" work-out
clothes. Someone said that *nobody* should wear sleeveless blouses or
dresses if they have flabby upper arms (here in Houston where it sometimes
gets to be 115F with 2000% humidity this flabby-upper-armed MaMere
*really* objects to that objection!).

What do you guys think? Should you not wear a mini skirt - even if you
have killer legs - past a certain age?

Depends on who you are, where you live and what you want to do.

When summer comes around here, there is no dress code.

It takes more than a short sleeve to cover up flabby upper arms. Besides
what one person would consider flabby another might not.

Personally, I believe that a lot of "overweight" people live virtually in
hiding because of the judgmental way there are treated by society. And I
think its pretty sick that they have to.

Again, the definition of overweight as hardly an absolute.

As for mini skirts, anyone who wants to wear one should. As long as they
are agile enough to keep the bare essentials covered.

Jo

Old January 28th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Hey, if we had a staff of hair dressers, dressers and make-up artists
following us around making sure we look glam, and a publicist who made
sure only our most flattering photos got published, we'd ALL look
fabulous. =o) It's just a tragedy that most women are woefully
understaffed in that regard. Although I think I'd get REALLY tired of
all that attention, after a while. Sometimes I just want to stick
something on, wash my face brush my teeth and hair and go "as is."

But I agree, Tina Turner does not belong in shapeless clothes, granny
glasses and a rocking chair. She's got it, she's entitled to flaunt it,
as far as I'm concerned.

Melissa

Old January 28th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"dopekitty" wrote in message

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

After reading everyone's comments and opinions - all I can say is:

http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/ju.../chicks_101_2/

that video won't work for me either in firefox or IE

Kristy

It's a commercial for Niquil. I've seen it on TV serveral times - the
"roommate" one.

Joy

Old January 28th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

CatNipped wrote:

I'm watching "The View" and one of their "hot topics" was whether women
should stop wearing certain types of clothing as they get older (the example
used was women who were over 40 shouldn't wear "Juicies" work-out clothes.
Someone said that *nobody* should wear sleeveless blouses or dresses if they
have flabby upper arms (here in Houston where it sometimes gets to be 115F
with 2000% humidity this flabby-upper-armed MaMere *really* objects to that
objection!).

What do you guys think? Should you not wear a mini skirt - even if you have
killer legs - past a certain age?

I'm not a guy, but I will never forget a lady in the church
where I sang, back when mini-skirts were fashionable the
last time. She had a gorgeous figure, shoulder-length
platinum blonde hair, and wore very trendy, youthful
clothes. She could get by with it from far enough away, or
when you saw her from the back, but then you'd catch sight
of the seventy-plus face, to which no amount of heavy
make-up could impart youth! She was a wealthy widow-woman,
whose constant attendant was a handsome young black man. He
may not have been her gigolo, but you know what everyone
thought!

I agree with you about dressing to be comfortable - once we
reach a certain age, it doesn't really matter what we wear,
we are NOT going to look like sweet young chicks. However,
"comfortable" is one thing, "grotesque" is another - I think
most women recognize the difference, but there are a few.....

Old January 28th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Age Appropriate Dress?LONG

dnr wrote:
I can't stand anything on my bod except 100% cotton either. I
still dress appropriately when I leave the house. But only because I
have to. I don't like it!

Sherry

You know, years ago I worked with a guy who told me once that
he wore/bought only cotton clothes and would tolerate only "natural"
(this was long before "organic" became popular) fabrics next to his
bod. I thought that was a little strange, but could totally relate to what
he said, in *reverse*.......I have never, since childhood, been able to
tolerate silk, silk-like, nor slick acrylic cloth on my skin. No reason.

Part of my 100% cotton hangup comes from childhood. My grandmother
*just loved* to sew with polyester double-knit. She made all my
clothes. And I hated that stuff, even when it was fashionable. I swear,
if my closet had caught on fire, it would have smoldered for weeks.

Sherry

Old January 28th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Well, I think nobody should wear dresses. ;-)

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 28th 06, 08:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Well, I think nobody should wear dresses. ;-)

--
Victor M. Martinez

I almost never do. The one exception is for some Toastmasters speech
contests. In one District there is a man who has a lot of influence. He
feels that women should always wear dresses or skirts and men should wear
skirts and ties. He has enough influence that not dressing as he considers
appropriate can actually hurt your chances of winning. When I compete in
his District, I wear a dress. Otherwise it's jeans for everyday and slacks
for dressup.

Joy

[OT] Most bizzarre thing you've seen Yowie Cat anecdotes 10 December 22nd 05 08:24 PM
[OT] A Generic Greeting [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 December 21st 05 10:27 AM
[OT] Why we love children - humor CatNipped Cat anecdotes 9 November 28th 05 04:27 AM
the dress Miss Violette Cat community 29 October 3rd 04 08:29 AM
[OT] Yowlet Update 4/4/4 20:30 Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 April 5th 04 11:49 PM