Another rat hunt (not too OT)

Old March 28th 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Another rat hunt (not too OT)

It was necessary to have another rat hunt yesterday morning. This time
three men came with 3 terriers (one 18 weeks old just to observe)
The rules were the same. Shut all the chickens up and keep the cats inside
from the previous night, in case the terriers catch them and they might well
do, as they get very revved up during a rat hunt.
So I shut the door firmly at 10 pm, with both cats safe inside and a
temporary litter box made from an old turkey roasting tin filled with earth
in the kitchen. They were snoozing by the fire and everything was hunky-dory
when I went to bed.
I'd only just dropped off to sleep when Boyfriend woke me at about 12.30
a.m. by meowing very loudly outside the bedroom door to advise me that I had
forgotten to leave the back door open so he could get out. I ignored him
and he went back downstairs. Twenty minutes later he was back and said it
must have been an oversight on my part, and could I possibly get up and let
him out as he needed a wee. I ignored him again, and he went away for ten
minutes. He could not believe that I didn't hear his pleas so he came back
every few minutes to meow louder and louder ALL NIGHT!
When I got up, having had practically no sleep at all, the litterbox
appeared unused, but when I had to nip back to the house for my rat
thwacking stick after the rat team had been here a while, I caught the poor
lad unawares with his nether regions over the box for at least 3 minutes
with a look of great relief on his face.
After that, he retired upstairs to sleep on the spare bed and didn't get up
until 4 pm.

I have to go on strike tomorrow, I work in local government and they are
trying to alter our pension scheme (I pay about 80 pounds a month for it and
have done for 17 years) so we have to work longer, in some cases until we
are 70.
I can ill afford to lose the days pay but hey. Public service is fairly
badly paid but the one thing we could look forward to was a reasonable
pension in our old age, and now they want to save money by not giving it to
us at the proper retirement age. I have been in full time work since I was
15 and paid what is called "full stamp" all the time and I still cannot
retire until 62.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall at work tomorrow. In a building that
normally has around 250 workers in lots of different departments, I doubt
more than a dozen will be in, and those will be picketed.

Tweed

Old March 28th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
[...]

That's really shocking !!!! Good luck with the picketing, no-one should be
forced to work until 70. And good luck with the rat elimination.

Old March 28th 06, 11:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

It's not very often that I agree with strikes, but in this case I'm 100%
behind the council workers. Most of the time they do an excellent job for a
very low wage, the least they can expect is a reasonable pension at the age
they were told they'd get it when they started the job.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old March 28th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 02:34:32 +0100, "Christina Websell"
yodeled:

[...]

Best of luck to you, but the times seem to be against labor and the
social contract. Solidarity forever.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old March 28th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Christina Websell wrote:

snip
[...]

Good luck with the strike!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Baby Eyes' successful hunt Pat Cat anecdotes 12 December 27th 05 09:41 AM
Mouse Hunt ClowderCat Cat community 196 March 31st 05 09:10 PM
Items for Scavenger hunt Tanada Cat anecdotes 6 May 30th 04 04:48 AM
Mousie Hunt!!!! KitTen Cat community 12 January 28th 04 12:19 AM