Scarlett and Bonnie News

Old October 8th 15, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Default Scarlett and Bonnie News

Hi guys. Rarely get here lately.

First, Scarlett had a dental today with 2 teeth extracted. She's STILL
out of it from the anesthesia. Not sure how tonight is going to go, and
I'll have to feed everyone separately to keep her away from dry food for
2 weeks. She came to me as a kitten with some health issues,
calisivirus being one of them so she's always had problems with her gums
and teeth.

Now on to the good news! I've been able to pick up Bonnie a few times
lately! I started noticing that she wasn't running immediately when I
was within arms length of her so twice this past week I reached down and
picked her up. I can't explain the joy to be able to hold her and even
hear her purr this last time.

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl
Old October 8th 15, 07:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy[_3_]

On 10/7/2015 7:03 PM, Cheryl wrote:
Hi guys. Rarely get here lately.

First, Scarlett had a dental today with 2 teeth extracted. She's STILL
out of it from the anesthesia. Not sure how tonight is going to go, and
I'll have to feed everyone separately to keep her away from dry food for
2 weeks. She came to me as a kitten with some health issues,
calisivirus being one of them so she's always had problems with her gums
and teeth.

Now on to the good news! I've been able to pick up Bonnie a few times
lately! I started noticing that she wasn't running immediately when I
was within arms length of her so twice this past week I reached down and
picked her up. I can't explain the joy to be able to hold her and even
hear her purr this last time.

I'm sorry to hear about Scarlett's problems. Good luck with keeping her
away from dry food for two weeks.

Congratulations about being able to pick Bonnie up and hear her purr. I
haven't quite give up hope of being able to do that with Koala, but I've
had him for over a year, so I'm not holding my breath. He does get up
and lie on my legs sometimes when I'm sitting in my recliner, so that is
a real improvement. I think we appreciate these things a lot more when
they take time.
Old October 8th 15, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Cheryl wrote:

Hi guys. Rarely get here lately.

First, Scarlett had a dental today with 2 teeth extracted. She's STILL
out of it from the anesthesia. Not sure how tonight is going to go, and
I'll have to feed everyone separately to keep her away from dry food for
2 weeks. She came to me as a kitten with some health issues,
calisivirus being one of them so she's always had problems with her gums
and teeth.

Now on to the good news! I've been able to pick up Bonnie a few times
lately! I started noticing that she wasn't running immediately when I
was within arms length of her so twice this past week I reached down and
picked her up. I can't explain the joy to be able to hold her and even
hear her purr this last time.

Hi Cheryl! Nice to hear from you!

I've never been able to pick up any of my cats, although they are all very affectionate, each in their own way. So I don't think of it as them not wanting to cuddle with me. Roxy curls up near or on top of me all the time. Smudge used to do that, too. Licky doesn't get on me, but he does love to lie against me with his back to me, while I pet his belly. So although it would be nice to pick them up, I don't miss it that much. Some cats don't like to lose any control over their ability to run off if necessary. It doesn't mean they're feral or afraid of you.

--
Joyce

The problem with cats is that they get the exact same look on their
face whether they see a moth or an axe-murderer.
-- Paula Poundstone
Old October 8th 15, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Cheryl" wrote in message
eb.com...
Hi guys. Rarely get here lately.

First, Scarlett had a dental today with 2 teeth extracted. She's STILL out
of it from the anesthesia. Not sure how tonight is going to go, and I'll
have to feed everyone separately to keep her away from dry food for 2
weeks. She came to me as a kitten with some health issues, calisivirus
being one of them so she's always had problems with her gums and teeth.

Hope she soon recovers from her dental.

Now on to the good news! I've been able to pick up Bonnie a few times
lately! I started noticing that she wasn't running immediately when I was
within arms length of her so twice this past week I reached down and
picked her up. I can't explain the joy to be able to hold her and even
hear her purr this last time.

I know this feeling, when they finally trust you it's so great. However
even though Boyfie trusts me now, picking him up is still a step too far as
a regular thing. He doesn't like it -- but I hope Bonnie will get used to
it. It's great news.

It's difficult with a shy cat, how much to gradually push and hope they
realise you are safe or whether you will freak them out.

Tweed

Old October 9th 15, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The New Other Guy

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 18:38:23 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

I've never been able to pick up any of my cats, although they are all very affectionate,
each in their own way. So I don't think of it as them not wanting to cuddle with me.
Roxy curls up near or on top of me all the time. Smudge used to do that, too.
Licky doesn't get on me, but he does love to lie against me with his back to me,
while I pet his belly. So although it would be nice to pick them up, I don't miss it
that much. Some cats don't like to lose any control over their ability to run off if
necessary. It doesn't mean they're feral or afraid of you.

THAT is simply amazing to me.

I've NEVER had a cat I couldn't pick up, though a few haven't been the
kind that liked to be held for more than 20-30 seconds.

Most have been totally comfortable being held.

Old October 9th 15, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/7/2015 10:03 PM, Cheryl wrote:
Hi guys. Rarely get here lately.

First, Scarlett had a dental today with 2 teeth extracted. She's STILL
out of it from the anesthesia. Not sure how tonight is going to go, and
I'll have to feed everyone separately to keep her away from dry food for
2 weeks. She came to me as a kitten with some health issues,
calisivirus being one of them so she's always had problems with her gums
and teeth.

I'm glad the dental went off without a hitch. Worrisome, no doubt.

Now on to the good news! I've been able to pick up Bonnie a few times
lately! I started noticing that she wasn't running immediately when I
was within arms length of her so twice this past week I reached down and
picked her up. I can't explain the joy to be able to hold her and even
hear her purr this last time.

That's wonderful!

Jill
Old October 10th 15, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 10/8/2015 2:21 AM, Joy wrote:

I'm sorry to hear about Scarlett's problems. Good luck with keeping her
away from dry food for two weeks.

It has been so hard to keep her from dry food. I'm trying to be creative
in making her eat soft food but she's determined to get food i'm not
allowing her to have. I've even been making dry food mushy with water
and surprise, everyone is eating it. She is so upset though, and even if
she gets to stay with me all night in my room with no one else just so
they can eat what they're used to. This is terrible and I can't believe
how long I have to keep this up.

Congratulations about being able to pick Bonnie up and hear her purr. I
haven't quite give up hope of being able to do that with Koala, but I've
had him for over a year, so I'm not holding my breath. He does get up
and lie on my legs sometimes when I'm sitting in my recliner, so that is
a real improvement. I think we appreciate these things a lot more when
they take time.

Don't give up either. I've had Bonnie for 12 years, almost 13.

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl
Old October 10th 15, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 10/8/2015 2:38 PM, Bastette wrote:

Hi Cheryl! Nice to hear from you!

I've never been able to pick up any of my cats, although they are all
very affectionate, each in their own way. So I don't think of it as
them not wanting to cuddle with me. Roxy curls up near or on top of
me all the time. Smudge used to do that, too. Licky doesn't get on
me, but he does love to lie against me with his back to me, while I
pet his belly. So although it would be nice to pick them up, I don't
miss it that much. Some cats don't like to lose any control over
their ability to run off if necessary. It doesn't mean they're feral
or afraid of you.

Oh, I know. Many cats just can't be picked up, feral or not. But it
makes it easier when it's time to go to the vet.

Nice to see you too Joyce! I know, I've been gone too long.

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl
Old October 10th 15, 03:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

wrote:

I've never been able to pick up any of my cats, although they are all very affectionate,
each in their own way. So I don't think of it as them not wanting to cuddle with me.
Roxy curls up near or on top of me all the time. Smudge used to do that, too.
Licky doesn't get on me, but he does love to lie against me with his back to me,
while I pet his belly. So although it would be nice to pick them up, I don't miss it
that much. Some cats don't like to lose any control over their ability to run off if
necessary. It doesn't mean they're feral or afraid of you.

THAT is simply amazing to me.

I've NEVER had a cat I couldn't pick up, though a few haven't been the
kind that liked to be held for more than 20-30 seconds.

Most have been totally comfortable being held.

Bonnie was totally feral when I trapped her 12 years ago. She was like a
wild animal and while I tried all of the suggestions to tame her, it
just never happened. I decided to just let her be however she was going
to be and I'd deal with how to get her to the vet when needed, but
otherwise, she was free to flee me if she was afraid. I never gave her
a reason to be afraid, but something was ingrained into her mind that
humans couldn't be trusted.

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl
Old October 10th 15, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Wed, 7 Oct 2015 22:03:16 -0400, Cheryl wrote:
Now on to the good news! I've been able to pick up Bonnie a few times
lately! I started noticing that she wasn't running immediately when I
was within arms length of her so twice this past week I reached down and
picked her up. I can't explain the joy to be able to hold her and even
hear her purr this last time.

You figure the first time might have been inattention, but if she let you
pick her up twice, that must mean she likes it.

Scarlett's new favorite toy Cheryl Cat anecdotes 5 March 14th 06 05:55 PM
Scarlett Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 3 December 24th 04 11:06 AM
Scarlett update Cheryl Cat anecdotes 15 December 22nd 04 12:20 PM
Scarlett could use some purrs Cheryl Cat anecdotes 27 December 20th 04 04:20 PM
Rhett and Scarlett pic Cheryl Cat anecdotes 18 December 2nd 04 05:53 PM