Opinion / helpful suggestions about what to do with a neighborhood cat needed. (LONG)

Old December 2nd 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Opinion / helpful suggestions about what to do with a neighborhood cat needed. (LONG)

"kraut" wrote
The old guy was getting sick and looked like he had trouble getting
around when the night time temps just got to the 30s as I said in the
ready post so I can imagine what he is going to be like when the temps
drop into the teens and there is several inches of snow on the ground.
I think I would rather have him put down which is the direction I am
leaning. It is not always best for a creature of anykind to be kept
alive especially if they are going to have to go through what this guy
will judging by the way he has been so far and the worse is yet to
come here in Michigan.

Is there really no place he could go to live out his days in warmth
and safety? A heated barn, maybe? Cats are useful to farmers and
horse people, who often do not mind feeding them if they will keep
rodents out of the grain. Where are you? Can I make some calls
for you? I could call around and see if someone would make him a
barn cat. If I find someone, can you trap him? (Forgive any questions
that have already been answered, I have not followed this thread,
but I want to help in a real way if I can.)

Old December 7th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"cybercat" wrote in message

[...]

Ah the elusive barn homes. Great if you can find one. Actually if there is a
horse farm around that isn't already overrun with cats they might be
interested. The cat controls the mice which can play havoc with the tack.

If that doesn't work then go on petfinder and contact any rescue groups in
your area. If all else fails and he's struggling outside then the shelter
might be the best of the options left. Beats finding the remains in the
spring.

Old December 7th 06, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Julie Porter

"Wendy" wrote in message

"cybercat" wrote in message

[...]

Also, if you could bring him inside your own home, if the number of cats
you already have wasn't an issue, I wonder if local rescue groups would
chip in some food. I have 11 cats, and one of the rescue groups here is
always offering me surplus food, since so much is donated to them.

Julie