Compartments and fire.

Old October 16th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Fred Williams[_2_]

Default Compartments and fire.

I definitely agree. It's a good idea and may save a kitty's life some
day.

On Tuesday 16 October 2007 07:27, Cory wrote:

In article ,
says...
If that will work for you. From what kitties and humans are saying I
think it might be good to have the carriers down all the time so they
all think of them as comfortable places.

You have unwittingly posted about a subject that I am VERY passionate
about, with respect to cat care, Fred.

I am an EXTREMELY STRONG ADVOCATE for leaving cat carriers out in the
open in anyone's home, AS WELL AS leaving the doors to the carriers
open, so that the kitties can come and go from/to the carriers as they
please.

Cat carriers MUST be seen by kitties as a safe haven, and not as a
"kitty jail", and it is because of situations like the fire alarm that
you experienced, or even going to TED, especially in an emergent
situation, that I feel as strongly as I do about this issue.

Also, while they may have "safe havens" around the home, I believe
that
kitties need more than just one or two safe havens in their home. I
believe that having the carriers out and open gives them that extra
safe haven to go to when they are stressed out (for whatever reason).

From the minute I first got Onyx, I left his carrier out in the open,
and I left the door ajar. I also put in a little blanket or two for
him to lay on, so that it wasn't just a cold, plastic carrier, but
rather, a
warm, inviting place where he would feel safe. He went into his
carrier on a regular basis, and would even sleep in it on some nights
when he wanted to be by himself and not around me.

No cat should ever, ever feel like a cat carrier is a "bad" place to
go,
as if they're being punished for something. Otherwise, you'll never
get
the cat in the carrier when timing is of the essence. Of course,
treats will and DO help in those most stressful of times (e.g. when a
fire alarm is blaring during the middle of the night), and should
never be omitted, whether on purpose or by accident (also, to clue
kitty in on the fact that the carrier IS, in fact, a safe place to go,
a fun place to go, use treats when first teaching kitty about the
carrier
experience. That way, he'll learn that being in a carrier also means
he gets a treat/reward).

This is just my own opinion and personal experience with Onyx, of
course. I DO realize that every kitty is different, and that your
experiences may differ from mine as a result.

--- (Unca) Cory

Ryan goes into a box or a bag
or a carrier the moment it is put on the floor and he was the first
into the carrier today. Diana had to be put in and objected at
first,
but then trusted my judgement. Cinnamon was freaked and wouldn't let
me near him. He didn't come out of hiding for a good 5 hours after,
and then only at supper time. Ryan needed reassuring and Cinnamon
wanted a good bit of attention at supper as well. It's hard to tell
with Diana, because she's always on top of me anyway.
So I'll be putting their food in the carriers for them and maybe a
bit
of nip in a day or two. I'll try to make those places of safety for
them so they will rush to them any time they are frightened and that
will simplify evecuation,... hopefully we'll never need it.

--
Regards,
Fred
Old October 16th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Granby

Glad to hear all is normanl today. Around here, not sure what normal is so,
wouldn't recogenize it!!
"Fred Williams" wrote in message
Efurry kitty is back to normal. We're resting today.

Diana, Ryan & Cinnamon.

On Tuesday 16 October 2007 06:44, Stormmee wrote:

iz you all kalmed down now? Tiger
Fred Williams wrote in message
Yes indeed. Fangu effuryone.

On Tuesday 16 October 2007 05:24, Stormmee wrote:

soft alzo sayz ifin you can store da kitty jail where its ezezt ta
katch the
kitty dat hepz. Tiger
Fred Williams wrote in message
Hmmm, Good idearment! Fangu.

On Monday 15 October 2007 12:38, Stormmee wrote:

tell da hooman ta chae hisef inna hooman litter box rum anna den
da space iz smallerta katchisef, Tiger
Fred Williams wrote in message
We just had a fire alarm in our building and there was
no trouble
getting Diana and Ryan into their travel cases, but Cinnamon
was
running everywhere. He's always been such a panicy kitty and
the bell
ringing makes him really scared. Just as Fred was leaving him
behind and going out the compartment door, the bells stopped
and we all came
back in. It was nothing threatening, but a gudgud exercise.
We can't think of aenny way to get a panicky kitty into a cage
in short order. Maybe somehow establish it as a place of
refuge. Sum day there might be a real fire and we'd need to get
hisownself out or ... well that could be too hard to imagine,
but we can't risk Ryan and Myownself just because Cinnamon
won't get into his travel carrier.

Old October 16th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

gud, Tiger fur hiz howze
[...]

Where's the fire? Marina Cat anecdotes 18 November 18th 06 08:13 PM
[OT] A fire next door Karen Cat anecdotes 6 June 5th 05 03:30 AM
A fire next door Katz Cat anecdotes 0 June 1st 05 03:17 PM
Fire purrs jen.d Cat anecdotes 12 August 24th 03 11:48 PM
What happens in a FIRE? news.verizon.net Cat health & behaviour 24 July 29th 03 07:00 PM