domesticated stray vs. feral cat?

Old December 21st 04, 07:00 AM
Ktyhpl

Default domesticated stray vs. feral cat?

Hi. I have been feeding a stray cat for about 2 months. Since he/she comes
around only at night, I haven't had any interaction with him--just glimpses of
him through the window as he runs away. All I know is that he has no collar
and eats all the food I put out every night. Now that the weather has turned
colder, I want to trap him and adopt him if he'd like a new home with me. My
question is how can I tell if it's a feral cat or a domesticated cat who is
lost or abandoned?

I had assumed it was just a stray since my last two cats were rescued strays
who turned out to be wonderful, sociable cats (I didn't do the rescuing, just
the adopting). There aren't a lot of outside cats in my neighborhood and I
certainly haven't heard of a feral cat population in my neighborhood. I would
expect even a stray cat to be fearful at first and I was planning on bringing
him in my home, and letting it get used to being inside by isolating him in a
room by himself with food and water for a day or two and then slowly getting
him used to me before taking him to the vet for a check-up and a scan for a
microchip (in case he is just lost). However, I've been reading online about
ferel cats and how they should not be released from the trap but taken
immediately to a vet for evaluation. Now I'm starting to worry if I do let him
out of the trap and he turns out to be feral, I'll never get him back in the
trap a second time. If he does turn out to be feral, I'm prepared to get him
neutered and then release him back outside and continue to feed him. So as soon
as he is trapped, is there a way for me to tell if he's feral or should I just
assume that?

Any comments or advice on what I should do would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kathy.
Old December 21st 04, 06:21 PM
Priscilla H. Ballou

Ktyhpl wrote:

[snip]

If he does turn out to be feral, I'm prepared to get him
neutered and then release him back outside and continue to feed him. So as soon
as he is trapped, is there a way for me to tell if he's feral or should I just
assume that?

I'd test him out before trapping him -- see if you can entice him closer
to you (nice stinky food is useful for this), see how he reacts to you
while he's still free to make choices. If he shows signs of warming up
to you, he may be a stray or socializable. If not, you may need to just
neuter and release him for this winter at least.

Priscilla
Old December 21st 04, 10:28 PM
Sharon Talbert

It's not always possible to tell, without bringing the animal inside and
getting acquainted. Some of the sweetest cats "feral" we've rescued were
discovered to be tame after they had been caged for a while (the two I
have in mind were both injured and required cage rest). Other guys we
thought were abandoned pets let us know that they were born to be wild.

In your place, I would trap him, take him straight to the vet for checkup,
shots and surgery and then isolate him from your cats for at least 2 weeks
(to rule out impending illness/contagion) and wait and see. With just a
little time a patience, he may own up to being tame or just may decide to
at least give domestication a chance. Even if he is feral, he may be a
sweetie with your indoor cats and will make a nice under-the-bed house
feral.

Be sure to combo-test him for FIV/FeLV; toms are likely carriers. If he
tests positive, have a talk with your vet about how to proceed.

There are lots of articles out there on socializing a cat. Mine is
"Taming the Tiger," posted to the Campus Cats website.

Good luck with this guy. Good for you, giving him a chance.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org
Old January 4th 05, 07:49 AM
Margaret

On 21 Dec 2004 06:00:34 GMT, Ktyhpl wrote:
/snip/

I would
expect even a stray cat to be fearful at first and I was planning on

bringing
him in my home, and letting it get used to being inside by isolating him

in a
room by himself with food and water for a day or two and then slowly

getting
him used to me before taking him to the vet for a check-up and a scan for

microchip (in case he is just lost).

I wonder how portable the microchip scanner is. Something that could save
everyone stress might be to borrow a microchip scanner from your vet or from
some rescue operation. You could move the food to somewhere in your garage
where you could be out of his sight but nearby with the scanner. If by
chance he has a chip and you can contact the owner, they can come and get
him themselves.

It might take a week or so to get him used to coming to the new food place;
then you could get the scanner.

Margaret
who also wonders how much a scanner costs, and would be considering buying
one and then donating it to some worthy organization afterwards
Old January 4th 05, 07:51 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-04, Margaret penned:

I wonder how portable the microchip scanner is. Something that could save
everyone stress might be to borrow a microchip scanner from your vet or from
some rescue operation. You could move the food to somewhere in your garage
where you could be out of his sight but nearby with the scanner. If by
chance he has a chip and you can contact the owner, they can come and get
him themselves.

It might take a week or so to get him used to coming to the new food place;
then you could get the scanner.

Margaret who also wonders how much a scanner costs, and would be considering
buying one and then donating it to some worthy organization afterwards

I've seen the scanners used; they're pretty portable. If the wish list of
my local shelter is to be believed, a scanner is about $250.

My understanding is that there are three different types of chips. A scanner
for one type can't read the numbers of the other types, but can tell that
they're present. I don't know if a scanner that checks all types exists.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 5th 05, 03:42 AM
Margaret

On 2005-01-04, Margaret penned:

I wonder how portable the microchip scanner is. Something that could

save everyone stress might be to borrow a microchip scanner from your vet or
from some rescue operation.

/snip/

Margaret
who also wonders how much a scanner costs, and would be considering
buying one and then donating it to some worthy organization afterwards

I've seen the scanners used; they're pretty portable. If the wish list of
my local shelter is to be believed, a scanner is about $250.

My understanding is that there are three different types of chips. A

scanner for one type can't read the numbers of the other types, but can tell
that they're present.

Well, that would be the major piece of information needed here! If there's a
chip in there, then it would be worth trapping him and taking him straight
to the vet to get it read. Or maybe borrowing a different scanner or two,
if that were easier than trapping.

Margaret
Old January 11th 05, 10:58 PM
Sharon Talbert

Most vets have a chip scanner in-house. Our vet always checks for chips
when we find a possible "stray."

Sharon Talbert
Campus Cats