Shamrock's poor skin condition

Old December 28th 03, 01:58 AM
Cheryl

Default Shamrock's poor skin condition

Just doing a little homework ahead of time and I had posted in amv about
antihistamine use in cats. I am so hesitant to keep getting him steroid
shots since there is FeLV in the house and steroids lower the immune
system. Not sure if antihistamines do, but the vet said they were worth
trying. A couple of vets said antihistamines may actually be a good thing
to try. Shamrocks vet said it couldn't hurt. His old vet didn't want to
try it because they would make him drowsy. Anyone else use these for skin
problems where you can't find the cause or the allergen?

BRAND NAME: CLOR-TRIMETON

AVAILABLE IN
2 mg, 4 mg, 8 mg & 12 mg
TABLETS AS WELL AS
ORAL SYRUP AND INJECTABLE

BACKGROUND

Histamine is an inflammatory biochemical that causes skin redness,
swelling, pain, increased heart rate, and blood pressure drop when it binds
to one of many "H1" receptors throughout the body. Histamine is a very
important mediator of allergy in humans, hence a spectacular array of
different antihistamines has proliferated. Histamine, perhaps
unfortunately, is not as important a mediator of inflammation in pets which
means results of antihistamine therapy are not as reliable in pets.

HOW THIS MEDICATION IS USED

Chlorpheniramine maleate has several important effects and thus several
uses. Most obviously, this medication is an antihistamine and it is used
for acute inflammatory and allergic conditions such as:

Snake Bites

Vaccination reactions

Blood transfusion reactions

Bee stings and insect bites

The management of itchy skin
Chlorpheniramine maleate is frequently included in antihistamine trials for
allergic skin disease. It is not one of the more effective antihistamines
in dogs but is one of the most reliably effective antihistamines in the cat
(in one study 73% of itchy cats responded). Its availability and
inexpensiveness make it worth trying in many cases.

Click here for more information on the management of itchy skin.

Mast cell tumors are tumors involving cells which contain granules of
histamine. Patients with mast cell tumors experience chronic inflammatory
symptoms due to circulating histamine. Antihistamines such as
chlorpheniramine maleate may be helpful given long term.

Chlorpheniramine maleate has a strong anti-nauseal side effect which makes
it helpful in treating motion sickness.

Chlorpheniramine maleate causes drowsiness in animals just as it does in
people and can be used as a mild tranquilizer. Some argue that it is the
drowsiness side effect that makes this medication appear to be helpful in
itch management (i.e. patients scratch less because they are sleeping
more.)

Convenient dosing makes it a common choice in the cat. It is often used in
the management of feline asthma though its effectiveness in this condition
is controversial.

Click here for more information on feline asthma.

Chlorpheniramine maleate is typically administered 2-3 times daily.

SIDE EFFECTS

With so many possible uses of this medication, it is difficult to separate
out a side effect from a primary effect. Drowsiness is generally regarded
as an undesirable side effect.

At doses higher than the recommended dose, human patients complain of dry
mouth and experience difficulty with urination. Animal patients
experiencing dry mouth may drink more water.

Chlorpheniramine maleate is famous for bitter taste. Often the pet
(especially cats) will tolerate the medication for a period of time but
ultimately refuse to take it or even show salivation in response to
administration. In such cases, it may be best to try a different
medication.

INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER MEDICATIONS

In the treatment of allergic skin disease, antihistamines are felt to
synergize with omega 3 fatty acid supplements and, as a general rule for
this condition, it is best to use these medications together.

Chlorpheniramine maleate should not be used with additional tranquilizing
medications.

This antihistamine is used in an assortment of human products where it is
combined with pain relievers and antihistamines. These “combination”
products should not be used in animals.

CONCERNS AND CAUTIONS

When using an antihistamine to prevent an allergic reaction (such as a
vaccine reaction) the antihistamine works best when given prior to the
allergen.

This medication will interfere with allergic skin testing. Check with your
veterinary dermatologist regarding how far in advance this medication
should be withheld.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_clor-trimeton.html

Note of my own: for bitter meds I put them in a gelcap (Flagyl is one that
has the same bitter tasting side effect)
--
Cheryl

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I
can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do."
- Helen Keller
Old December 28th 03, 02:10 AM
MaryL

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Just doing a little homework ahead of time and I had posted in amv about
antihistamine use in cats. I am so hesitant to keep getting him steroid
shots since there is FeLV in the house and steroids lower the immune
system. Not sure if antihistamines do, but the vet said they were worth
trying. A couple of vets said antihistamines may actually be a good thing
to try. Shamrocks vet said it couldn't hurt. His old vet didn't want to
try it because they would make him drowsy. Anyone else use these for skin
problems where you can't find the cause or the allergen?

BRAND NAME: CLOR-TRIMETON

AVAILABLE IN
2 mg, 4 mg, 8 mg & 12 mg
TABLETS AS WELL AS
ORAL SYRUP AND INJECTABLE

Cheryl,

I have never used chlortrimeton for cats, but at one time I used it for
myself. I discontinued it because it made me very drowsy, and I also
frequently had very dry mouth while I was using it (both side effects that
are described in your note) and extremely dry nasal passages. I didn't have
any other problems. Bitterness was not a problem because it was in pill
form.

MaryL

Old December 28th 03, 02:24 AM
Cheryl

MaryL wrote in on 27 Dec 2003:

I have never used chlortrimeton for cats, but at one time I used it
for myself. I discontinued it because it made me very drowsy, and I
also frequently had very dry mouth while I was using it (both side
effects that are described in your note) and extremely dry nasal
passages. I didn't have any other problems. Bitterness was not a
problem because it was in pill form.

I used to use it myself for allergies and remember the same side effect you
describe. I have "outgrown" my own allergies from my childhood and wonder
if Shamrock can, also. I am watching him right now pulling his fur out.
It is always in the same places so the description of mast cell tumors
certainly seems to fit. I think it is time for something drastic because he
can't live like this.

Old December 28th 03, 02:36 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Just doing a little homework ahead of time and I had posted in amv about
antihistamine use in cats. I am so hesitant to keep getting him steroid
shots since there is FeLV in the house and steroids lower the immune
system. Not sure if antihistamines do, but the vet said they were worth
trying. A couple of vets said antihistamines may actually be a good thing
to try. Shamrocks vet said it couldn't hurt. His old vet didn't want to
try it because they would make him drowsy. Anyone else use these for skin
problems where you can't find the cause or the allergen?

BRAND NAME: CLOR-TRIMETON

snip

Would a human anecdote be OK? My mother uses Chlortripolon (same active
ingredient as Clortrimeton) to help control hives she gets from
formerly-undiagnosed food allergies (she took it for years before being
diagnosed with food allergies, and still takes it now that she knows what
her allergies are). It works to control her itching and help the hives go
away more quickly. However, he can't take it during the day because it
makes her very groggy so she takes them only at night. And even then she
wakes up very heavy-headed in the morning (does that make sense?). Second
generation antihistamines like Allegra don't have that side-effect but they
don't work as well for her. Would you be able to try a second generation
antihistamine first, or are those really bad for cats? I would prefer to
use one of those first, and then if it doesn't work try the Clortrimeton.
But if a second generation one is not possible, and since vets have said it
would be OK, then there's no harm in at least trying the Clortrimeton.

rona

Old December 28th 03, 02:53 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Just doing a little homework ahead of time and I had posted in amv about
antihistamine use in cats. I am so hesitant to keep getting him steroid
shots since there is FeLV in the house and steroids lower the immune
system. Not sure if antihistamines do, but the vet said they were worth
trying. A couple of vets said antihistamines may actually be a good thing
to try. Shamrocks vet said it couldn't hurt. His old vet didn't want to
try it because they would make him drowsy. Anyone else use these for skin
problems where you can't find the cause or the allergen?

snip
I also found this:

"If you are seeing skin disease associated with the allergy and not
digestive signs, it may be possible to relieve the symptoms using a
combination of anti-histamine and essential fatty acid administration. We
use a combination of chlorpheniramine (Chlortrimeton Rx) and DermCaps (Rx),
but there are other antihistamines and other fatty acid supplements. These
medications have significantly less potential for adverse side effects."
from http://www.vetinfo.com/callergy.html...%20the%20Itch:

At http://www.vetinfo.com/cpruritis.htm...%20the%20Itch: there is a
little more information about why fatty acid supplements should be used
along with antihistamines, as well as some other useful information.

rona

Old December 28th 03, 02:56 AM
Cheryl

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote in
on 27 Dec 2003:

But if a second generation one is not possible, and since vets have
said it would be OK, then there's no harm in at least trying the
Clortrimeton.

Thanks Rona. In more reading, I'm seeing that antihistamines used along
with cortiosteroids are the way to go. I just ordered some Chlortrimaton
and will have to call the vet about dosage and recommendation for the two
combined. She mentioned putting him on oral steroids (geez, I have
hundreds of pred tabs since I order in bulk for Shadow). The things
mentioned on this page
(http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_itch_relief.html) have mostly been
tried. He actually doesn't mind baths and the colloidal oatmeal baths help
for a few days but in the winter time I am not going to bathe him. I've
been treating the "hot spots" with a topical hydrocortisone while it isn't
seeping yet and only itchy red bumps. Poor cat is just miserable itchy
most of the time. The shots really do work but I just want to find
something else; besides... I have to take him in every month for a shot.