Cat Cruelty - sorry, using rpchb as a support group again...

Old October 13th 05, 06:13 AM
Brian Link

Default Cat Cruelty - sorry, using rpchb as a support group again...

Well, now I know why my son's always been indifferent towards cats.

A couple days ago, he told my wife about a time he was visiting her
folks in rural Indiana as a toddler. A cousin showed him a kitten and
got him really interested in it. Then he tossed it to a pair of dogs
that killed it.

That was about 14 years ago, and he bawled telling her about it.

Now, I saw our cat Tom get killed by dogs around the same time. It's
horrible, but I've learned to live with it. This is just terrible
though. I can't stop thinking about it.

This also explains why he was so adament about adopting a kitten from
there the next year.

Gah. How can people be so inhumane? Can't friggin stand it.

BLink
Old October 13th 05, 06:21 AM
-L.

Brian Link wrote:
Well, now I know why my son's always been indifferent towards cats.

A couple days ago, he told my wife about a time he was visiting her
folks in rural Indiana as a toddler. A cousin showed him a kitten and
got him really interested in it. Then he tossed it to a pair of dogs
that killed it.

That was about 14 years ago, and he bawled telling her about it.

Now, I saw our cat Tom get killed by dogs around the same time. It's
horrible, but I've learned to live with it. This is just terrible
though. I can't stop thinking about it.

This also explains why he was so adament about adopting a kitten from
there the next year.

Gah. How can people be so inhumane? Can't friggin stand it.

BLink

It's just ****ing sick. Not only did the asshole torture a kitten, he
tortured your son. If some SOB did that to my son, I'd kill them, and
I'm not kidding.

-L.

Old October 13th 05, 06:24 AM

Brian Link wrote:
Well, now I know why my son's always been indifferent towards cats.

A couple days ago, he told my wife about a time he was visiting her
folks in rural Indiana as a toddler. A cousin showed him a kitten and
got him really interested in it. Then he tossed it to a pair of dogs
that killed it.

That was about 14 years ago, and he bawled telling her about it.

Now, I saw our cat Tom get killed by dogs around the same time. It's
horrible, but I've learned to live with it. This is just terrible
though. I can't stop thinking about it.

This also explains why he was so adament about adopting a kitten from
there the next year.

Gah. How can people be so inhumane? Can't friggin stand it.

BLink

So what kind of man did the cousin grow up to be?

Old October 13th 05, 07:50 AM
Brian Link

On 12 Oct 2005 22:21:54 -0700, "-L." wrote:

Brian Link wrote:
[...]

Believe me, I've had long fantasies about exposing this ******* in
front of my wife's otherwise kind family. But what does it solve? That
kitten's dead - along with untold other anonymous farm cats he decided
to torture and kill. There is a definite mindset among some folks that
I've seen first hand - cats are vermin. Killing them is sport. As I've
learned from my friendship with a little squirrel in my front yard,
people draw a line at some level of evolutionary development - thought
they're devoted to their dog, or pet bird, or cat, the squirrel must
be killed. Move the register up a few notches.. then the dog is good,
the cat is vermin.. move it up some more, and you're in southeast asia
where dogs and cats are food.

I think it's my problem - I'm a friggin liberal who loves mammals -
and wishes they could all live happily with us.

How do we deal with folks with different viewpoints? Cats as food -
cats as vermin - bah.

Unfortunately, to answer sriddle's post, the cousin is now a farmer
and could kick my ass without breaking a sweat. I SO want to confront
him about this though.

My son is completely open with us. He's shared secrets that most teens
hide because he trusts us. That he waited so long for this confession
is a testament to how deeply this affected him.

The only thing I console myself with is that he talked us into
adopting one of those farm kittens - he saved one.

So damn sad. And of course I'm the insomniac and can't talk to anyone
about it now that it's friggin killing me at 2 am CST. ****.

BLink
Old October 13th 05, 08:41 AM
-L.

Brian Link wrote:

[...]

No doubt. It will stay with him forever.

The only thing I console myself with is that he talked us into
adopting one of those farm kittens - he saved one.

So damn sad. And of course I'm the insomniac and can't talk to anyone
about it now that it's friggin killing me at 2 am CST. ****.

I'd be really tempted to talk to the cousin and tell him how his
actions really affected your son. I would approach it as "I know you
don't think this is a big deal, but it really affected our son, and
this is why." He may never "get it" but he will know you don't think
it's cool, and he will know he hurt your son. THAT, I think, is
important. Maybe the asshole will think twice before pulling that kind
of crap in front of little kids again.

I hate this kind of **** too. It kills me.

-L.

Old October 13th 05, 02:17 PM

Brian Link wrote:
[...]

I know no-one will agree with me, but I have to say it anyway. I am a
vegetarian (gasp), and I love cats, but can see no difference towards
eating cats and dogs and other animals. I just don't get it. I first
started to question things when I went to feed the ducks in our local
park, then guess what mum had made for dinner that night? I see all
animals the same, whether they're pets or domesticated or not. It's so
easy these days to buy a piece of meat, fish etc, frozen and packaged,
and forget where it actually comes from.

Rant over

Marcia

Old October 13th 05, 02:17 PM
Lorraine

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 01:50:09 -0500, Brian Link wrote:

Unfortunately, to answer sriddle's post, the cousin is now a farmer
and could kick my ass without breaking a sweat. I SO want to confront
him about this though.

More deadlifts and squats, and bag work on the off days?

HTH
Lorraine
Old October 13th 05, 04:51 PM

Lorraine wrote:

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 01:50:09 -0500, Brian Link wrote:

Unfortunately, to answer sriddle's post, the cousin is now a farmer
and could kick my ass without breaking a sweat. I SO want to confront
him about this though.

More deadlifts and squats, and bag work on the off days?

HTH
Lorraine

More important to get your speed up and improve your balance. Then
take out his kneecap if he steps too close.

-mhd