Pure Bred Behavior

Old August 1st 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

Default Pure Bred Behavior

QC is the closest to a pure-bred cat we've ever been owned by. She is a
mix, we think, who is very close to the Maine Coon profile except that her
ears are not very tufted. I've read about the average personality for Maine
Coons, and QC is a lot like they are reputed to be. She is a very calm
gentle giantess with a bitty kitty meow and a very laid back attitude. She
is big and can be bad if she decides that is what she wants. Before Berfert
brought her home, she'd decimated the animal population in our back yard.
She is very stubborn and the other cats don't try to push her around as it
is like shoving against a brick wall. Qui Gun Kit tried to dominate her,
only to find out that she packs a mean tongue and knows how to lick a moving
kitten. There isn't a mean bone in her body and she is the best judge of
human personalities in the clowder. She hugs those she really likes,
presents her tummy for rubs, and knows that we need her to purr against any
part of us that is in pain.

So, I know that there are at least two others with Maine Coon mixes out
there. What are your owners like? If you have a pure-bred or nearly so,
what is their personality like and how close does it conform to what is
accepted to be the breed standard? Do your moggies have pure-bred
personalities? Yeah, I know, even moggies are pure bred, or at least a lot
went into their breeding.

Pam S.

Old August 1st 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 31, 8:44*pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:
[...]

Orion is a purebred MC. He truly is a gentle giant. He likes to lie
*right next* to you, but not on your lap. He's not too crazy about
people besides *his* people.
As big as he is, you'd think he'd have a roar of a meow, but he
doesn't. Just a little squeak sometimes, but mostly a "trill" sound.
(brrrrrrruppp??) He isn't
territorial at all with the other cats; he doesn't ever get involved
in a fuss.
Frank is a kitten-mill Balinese. (longhair siamese). He's not too
chatty like Siamese usually are...unless he has something to complain
about. Then he's really loud. He only likes me. No one else. He's also
definitely a follower, not a leader, which is rather un-Siamese I
think. Boots bosses him around something fierce, and he loves her
something crazy. He's also a trash-digger. (I don't think that's a
purebred trait, but I just through I'd throw that in)

Sherry

Old August 1st 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 31, 9:06*pm, Sherry wrote:
[...]

Sherry- Hide quoted text -

I forgot to add, Frank is extremely needy. He will just drive me nuts
when I'm trying to read. He never lets me hold him or pick him up. He
just wants me to pet
him, and sticks his head up in my face so I can kiss him on top of his
head. I think Siamese are a lot like that. They like attention.

Sherry
Old August 1st 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Jul 31, 9:06 pm, Sherry wrote:
On Jul 31, 8:44 pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:

..
[...]

That is one of the stronger Siamese traits. All ours have wanted to
be the center of attention.

Never had one that was a digger, but all ours have been able to go
outside so maybe there. They are (whisper) often dog like in their
behavior. Want to be petted and fussed over. Always sticking their
heads between you and what you are doing. I've never had one that was
a loner where our other cats often have been.

Jo

Old August 1st 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 31, 9:41*pm, "Jofirey" wrote:
snipped
are (whisper) often dog like in their
behavior. *Want to be petted and fussed over. *Always sticking their
heads between you and what you are doing. *I've never had one that was
a loner where our other cats often have been.

Jo

YES! That is *exactly* like Frank. He loves to be petted, brushed,
talked to, anything. I can't even read the paper when he's in the
room. And we sometimes
call him "Monkey-see-monkey-do Frank"....because if one of the other
cats is doing something, Frank has to run over there and do it too.
He's like a whole different kind of cat. He wouldn't be good for
anyone who
wants an aloof pet.

Sherry

Old August 1st 08, 04:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Jul 31, 9:41 pm, "Jofirey" wrote:
snipped
are (whisper) often dog like in their
behavior. Want to be petted and fussed over. Always sticking their
heads between you and what you are doing. I've never had one that
was
a loner where our other cats often have been.

Jo

YES! That is *exactly* like Frank. He loves to be petted, brushed,
talked to, anything. I can't even read the paper when he's in the
room. And we sometimes
call him "Monkey-see-monkey-do Frank"....because if one of the other
cats is doing something, Frank has to run over there and do it too.
He's like a whole different kind of cat. He wouldn't be good for
anyone who
wants an aloof pet.

Sherry

Well, Jake can do aloof. Only it has to be right in front of me where
I couldn't possibly overlook it.

Jo

Old August 1st 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_3_]

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 21:44:38 -0400, tanadashoes wrote:

[...]

Your description of QC is a near perfect match for Fleagor. His breeding
is unknown, but he is a good match for the breed type, including the ear
tufts. He doesn't treat pain - I have other cats for that. He's also
down right dangerous at times: he bit me badly twice in the first couple
of years he was with me, and frequently draws blood when I don't think he
really meant to, just to indicate displeasure. He's not aggressive enough
to be the alpha cat - that falls to Mudpie, but in his early years with me
he was the defacto alpha male. One oddity is that he specializes in
hunting frogs, largely ignoring voles and mice.

--
T.E.D. )

Old August 1st 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"tanadashoes" wrote in message
[...]

Sammy acts *exactly* as described in the CFA's breed description (even
though she is a rescue, I'd say she had to be 99.9999999% Maine Coon)...

"While Maine Coons are highly people-oriented cats, they are not
overly-dependent. They do not constantly pester you for attention, but
prefer to "hang out" with their owners, investigating whatever activity
you're involved in and "helping" when they can. They are not, as a general
rule, known as "lap cats" but as with any personality trait there are a few
Maine Coons that prefer laps. Most Maine Coons will stay close by, probably
occupying the chair next to yours instead. Maines will follow you from room
to room and wait outside a closed door for you to emerge. A Maine Coon will
be your companion, your buddy, your pal, but hardly ever your baby.

Maine Coons are relaxed and easy-going in just about everything they do. The
males tend to be the clowns while the females retain more dignity, but both
remain playful throughout their lives. They generally get along well with
kids and dogs, as well as other cats. They are not as vertically-oriented as
some other breeds, prefering to chase objects on the ground and grasping
them in their large paws -- no doubt instincts developed as professional
mousers. Many Maine Coons will play "fetch" with their owners."

What's funny is that I read this *after* I wrote all the "helping Mommy"
stories about her.

None of my other masters are even close to any pure breed, but Jessie
certainly fits the bill of Torties have "attitude" - she doesn't take any
guff off anyone, and will have Sammy, who is about 3 times her weight,
running scared when she's PO'd.

Fuzzy Belly Rubs,

CatNipped

Old August 1st 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

That sounds like Archer. I can't play with a toy with any of the other cats
without him running over and pushing the other cat out of the way!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 2nd 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"CatNipped" wrote in message

[...]

That closely fits the Cooch. She isn't afraid of anyone, but prefers to be
a lover not a fighter. She snuggles, but doesn't want to be on your lap,
sitting beside you is preferred. She doesn't insist on climbing to the top
of the cat tree like Qui Gun Kit, but likes to be where she is part of
whatever is happening. Amazing.

Pam S.