Coyote population on the rise in Washington DC area

Old July 2nd 04, 08:19 PM
Caroline S.

Default Coyote population on the rise in Washington DC area

Coyotes are apparently moving into the DC suburbs. There have been several
reported attacks on pets.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2004Jul1.html

Yet another reason to think twice about letting the cats out.

-Caroline S.

Old July 2nd 04, 08:40 PM
Karen

Eek. That's scary. poor cats! I wonder why they are so big? What I find
interesting about coyotes is that yipee spooky noise they make when they
talk to each other. It is most eerie.

Karen

Old July 3rd 04, 02:02 AM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.anecdotes", "Caroline S."
artfully composed this message
within news:5ziFc.621$O14.424@lakeread03 on 02 Jul 2004:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2-2004Jul1.htm

Yet another reason to think twice about letting the cats out.

-Caroline S.

I heard this on the news today. This is my area, and I knew there
were coyotes towards the mountains in MD and VA, but not in the
suburbs. I've read about the eastern coyote and they have some wolf
in them (a hybrid) and they are larger than western coyotes, and
fearless; probably due to being so heavily populated with humans
everywhere. I feel bad when animals come out to urban areas because
it is more signs that their own homes and food sources are being
depleted.

--
Cheryl

Old July 3rd 04, 02:41 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Caroline S. wrote:

Coyotes are apparently moving into the DC suburbs. There have been several
reported attacks on pets.

Gee, I thought all the "coyotes" in the D.C. area were the two-legged kind!

Old July 3rd 04, 04:26 AM
Sherry

Eek. That's scary. poor cats! I wonder why they are so big? What I find
interesting about coyotes is that yipee spooky noise they make when they
talk to each other. It is most eerie.

It's just downright creepy. When it's still here, late at night, they sound
like they are right in the back yard. But you know what, the windows can be
open, and the cats looking out, and they are just totally oblivious to that
sound. I'm surprised it doesn't scare them.
Sherry