Angry cat

Old December 2nd 03, 01:26 AM
Jack

Default Angry cat

Hi, I have a male,neutered tabby; almost 3 years old. Over the past few
months he has started exhibiting rather disturbing behaviour. A month or so
ago he got angry when I apparently didn't do what he wanted and he swatted
me in the face giving me a cut above my eye. Since then whenever he doesn't
want something, like he doesn't want to be petted at that moment, he hits.
He is an indoor cat and I take him out when I can on a leash. He gets very,
very angry when it's time to come in. Hissing and scratching.
Today was the worse. I couldn't get the leash or harness off for awhile
after I got him inside. And for hours he has skulked around the house
swatting anytime I try to touch him.
This makes me think of a spoiled child. Is it something that I should be
really concerned about or try to work out?
Any suggestions would be helpfull. I really don't want to lose him even
though he has begun to make me feel rather nervous at times.

BsT

Old December 2nd 03, 07:45 AM
Christine Burel

"Jack" wrote in message
[...]

Just from working with a feral kitty this summer, based on some sound
advice, positive reinforcement works wonders. Try rewarding him with a
treat (something positive)as a signal that it's time to come in rather than
just taking him in -- another thought might be to try and make him a little
outside enclosure with a kitty door into your house so he could come and go
in on his own -- I just took a foster kitty to a home that has just such an
arrangement -- they are using a kit called a "Kitty Walk" and they sent me a
link to it www.drsfostersmith.com and put in Kitty Walk in the Search box.

Another thought: the feral kitty I was working with had a problem with
biting and this is what I did upon advice; I would praise him constantly for
all the good things he did; Id' play with him, give him lots of good
attention but if he tried to bite me though he immediately was left in his
room without any further contact or comments from me. I'd go in after his
"time-out" (about 10 minutes) and start over again. He got the idea that
poor behavior led to no attention after not very long.

Hope this helps give you some ideas to try.
Best wishes,
Christine

Old December 2nd 03, 08:40 AM
Luvskats00

I have a male,neutered tabby; almost 3 years old. Over the past few
months he has started exhibiting rather disturbing behaviour....
He is an indoor cat and I take him out when I can on a leash. He gets very,
very angry when it's time to come in.

Uh....how 'bout getting a litterbox and keeping him inside. Of course if he
starts pummelling at the door, you have another problem. What prompted you to
do the dog thing..you know...put the cat on a leash and walk him like a dog?

Old December 2nd 03, 03:16 PM
kaeli

In article , luvskats00
@aol.com enlightened us with...
I have a male,neutered tabby; almost 3 years old. Over the past few
months he has started exhibiting rather disturbing behaviour....
He is an indoor cat and I take him out when I can on a leash. He gets very,
very angry when it's time to come in.

Uh....how 'bout getting a litterbox and keeping him inside. Of course if he
starts pummelling at the door, you have another problem. What prompted you to
do the dog thing..you know...put the cat on a leash and walk him like a dog?

Because many cats LIKE to go for walks to actually get out of the house
and it isn't safe to let tham wander unattended. Some don't like to be
cooped up all the time. They don't necessarily go potty outside. Mine
doesn't. But she'd get awful ****y if I made her stay in all the time.
The other two don't want anything to do with it. But Rowan would have a
fit if she was never allowed out.

Walking on a leash is not just a dog thing. Cats, ferrets, bunnies, and
pigs are all pets that can enjoy the fresh air. You probably won't get
any of them to heel or sit, though. heh

~kaeli~
Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart