Mom [OT]

Old April 4th 04, 05:39 AM
Sherry

I can imagine! I hate it enough here. [cue semi-annual "standard,
daylight, split the difference, I don't care, just pick something AND
STICK WITH IT!!!!!" rant :-)]

Hey, tthat's what we are always saying ..."PICK ONE AND STICK WITH IT!!"
I think you're too young to remember, but Prez Nixon decided once (I think it
was January) to put DST in effect to save "energy" in the middle of the energy
crisis of the early 70's. That was really dumb. We ended up leaving the porch
light on all the time because it was still dark when we left for work. Didn't
save much energy there!
Sherry --- who never can figure out how to change the clock in the car and
ends up in a time warp.
Old April 4th 04, 08:40 AM
Yoj

"Sherry " wrote in message
Another of his hobbies was
repairing and restoring antique clocks. Often it is impossible to

find
a part for an old clock. In that case, he would make the clock

himself.

Your dad sounds exactly like my DH. He has restored antique clocks for

20
years, they are beautiful. We have 27 + 2 grandfather clocks right now

that
were rescues from garage sales, flea markets, auctions. (Speaking of

which,
daylight savings time (tonight) is always a pain in the *ss at my

house)

My mother would sympathize with you. She still had about 14 of my Dad's
clocks when he died. She has since given several of them away, and only
winds one or two now.

A high score on an IQ test and a college education are nice things,

but
neither is a sole indicator of intelligence or worth.

Absolutely. A college education, a high IQ, etc. are worthless without

a good,
old-fashioned work ethic and ambition.

Sherry

Yes, we see eye to eye here.

Joy

Old April 4th 04, 08:45 AM
Yoj

"Sherry " wrote in message
I can imagine! I hate it enough here. [cue semi-annual "standard,
daylight, split the difference, I don't care, just pick something AND
STICK WITH IT!!!!!" rant :-)]

Hey, tthat's what we are always saying ..."PICK ONE AND STICK WITH

IT!!"
I think you're too young to remember, but Prez Nixon decided once (I

think it
was January) to put DST in effect to save "energy" in the middle of

the energy
crisis of the early 70's. That was really dumb. We ended up leaving

the porch
light on all the time because it was still dark when we left for work.

Didn't
save much energy there!
Sherry --- who never can figure out how to change the clock in the

car and
ends up in a time warp.

Groan! I forgot about the clock in the car. I'm not sure if I can
remember how to change it.

Joy

Old April 4th 04, 08:53 AM

Yowie wrote:

Everyone's brain isn't wired up the same way, but the current school system
insists that all kids conform tot he one curriculum and style of teaching.

I suspect that if you took alot of those
'troublemakers' and 'underacheivers' out of the "academic" environment and
instead put them into something where their strengths and talents were
recognised and valued by society at large, there would be alot less problems
in schools - the "book learning" kids would be free to learn the book way,
and the "practical" kids would also be learning in a way that suited them.
And neither type would be "better" than the other.

Yowie
(Who can't put Ikea furniture together but can work out the "Golden Ratio"
from first principles. Which one is more useful?)

I like the way you think. You'll be a great mom!!

Joyce
Old April 6th 04, 12:06 AM
SUQKRT

In article , "Adrian"
wrote:

Jette Goldie wrote:

A few years ago it was "Neighbours" that was causing the concern...... kids

were turning Aussie!

A show which is about to be inflicted on the USA.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy, Milo & Bagheera)

I'm looking forward to it. I enjoy watching BBC programs and am curious Aussi
TV. In the 70's I watched Prisoner of Cell Block H (I suspect this was not a
highpoint on Oz TV).

My parents are Mom and Dad. When I was being annoying they were Ma & Pa.
Sometimes I call my Mom James, but that's another story.

As for the ma'am thing its urban/rural as well as north/south. In Smalltowns in
Michigan Ma'am is used for politeness.
Suz
Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Waiting for inspiration. Please hold while I contemplate my navel.

|\__/|
(=':'=)
(")_(")

Old April 6th 04, 05:29 PM
Adrian

SUQKRT wrote:

I'm looking forward to it. I enjoy watching BBC programs and am
curious Aussi TV. In the 70's I watched Prisoner of Cell Block H (I
suspect this was not a highpoint on Oz TV).

The most moving parts of that show were made by the scenery, it was fun to
watch while drunk, when they slammed the cell door the whole wall moved.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy, Milo & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

My parents are Mom and Dad. When I was being annoying they were Ma &
Pa. Sometimes I call my Mom James, but that's another story.

As for the ma'am thing its urban/rural as well as north/south. In
Smalltowns in Michigan Ma'am is used for politeness.
Suz
Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Waiting for inspiration. Please hold while I contemplate my navel.

\__/|

(=':'=)
(")_(")

Old April 6th 04, 08:02 PM
SUQKRT

In article , Kreisleriana
wrote:

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:37:52 -0600, Steve Touchstone
yodeled:

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 18:20:17 GMT, Tanada wrote:

Sorry Dave, I have to differ with you on this one. I don't know if it's

the school, the area of the country, having so many military parents

(though I don't really notice a difference in behavior) or if I'm just

lucky, but most of the kids I work with are very respectful. Of course

there are the 5% that you find in any group that should be fed to the

loo or their parents given retro-active birth control. But the majority

are polite, and well enough behaved. They just aren't as zombie like

as
we were when I was in school. I enjoy their energy and zeal for what

they believe in. The only problem I have is their choices in music.

Pam S.

Well, and maybe choice in clothes, too. I can't understand the boys
wearing pants halfway down the buttcheeks, and some of the outfits
girls copy from MTV. OTOH, I'm seem to remember my parents felt the
same way about high schoolers in my day.

Yes, but they *still* wear so much less now. Someone, I can't
remember who, said, "What is left for hookers to wear?"

Theresa

I think that manufacturing large baggy jeans has created a severe fabric
shortage for blouse makers. Which is why so many midriffs are left exposed.

Old April 6th 04, 08:09 PM
Kreisleriana

On 06 Apr 2004 19:02:30 GMT, eener (SUQKRT) yodeled:

In article , Kreisleriana
wrote:

[...]

I remember walking around my neighborhood early last spring-- a day
much like today-- and seeing all the pale little bellies suddenly
sticking out. I thought, "Low-rise pants should be a privilege, not a
right."

Theresa
alt.tv.frasier FAQ:
http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)