This Really Chaps My Hide

Old August 3rd 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default This Really Chaps My Hide - I forgot to mention......

On Aug 3, 10:32 am, bonbon wrote:
That these neighbors who 'can't afford' to spay and neuter these two
beautiful little cats have a brand new pick-up truck sitting in their
driveway.

GAK.

-(disgusted) bonbon

Pfft. My all-time pet peeve. People who get "I can't afford" confused
with "I don't want to afford" when it comes to
pet care. Ugh.

Sherry

Old August 3rd 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

bonbon wrote:
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:55:13 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

bonbon wrote:
That these neighbors who 'can't afford' to spay and neuter these two
beautiful little cats have a brand new pick-up truck sitting in
their driveway.

Is there a low-cost spay/neuter program near you?

Yes, there is a low-cost program here, but only certain times of the
month, and at certain locations. Naturally, the 'clinic's on wheels'
always seem to happen way over on the other side of Houston and by the
time the neighbor sees fit to go the distance to get these guys taken
care of, I'll already of secretly had them into our vet down the
street and foot the bill myself to get them ship shape.

Again, you can't do that. They could sue the crap out of you. They could
claim they were planning to breed them. How would they NOT notice the
shaved patch and stitches from having the female spayed? I don't know about
the neutering process but I'm pretty sure there's some obvious sign of that,
too.

Jill

Old August 3rd 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 3, 11:48 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
bonbon wrote:
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 18:48:05 +0300, "Christine K."
wrote:

bonbon kirjoitti:
That these neighbors who 'can't afford' to spay and neuter these two
beautiful little cats have a brand new pick-up truck sitting in
their driveway.

If I understood you correctly one kitty's a boy and the other a
girl, right?

That's correct. I'm thinking the answer is to just cat nap the
babies, take them down the street to our vet and have them
spayed/neutered ourselves. Of course, I'll have to do it on the
sly.....it wouldn't be the first time I footed the bill to have
neighbor cats altered. Of course there is always the pesky
inconvenience of having to explain to the DH where that extra money
disappeared to. But hey.....we're in love, and I have my ways of
getting around that sort of trouble g

Legally you can't do that. Those cats aren't strays. You could find
yourself in a world of hurt if you cat-nap them and have an unauthorized
medical procedure performed on them without the consent of the "owners".

Jill- Hide quoted text -

It would be extremely hard to press that, though. If the cats are
freeroaming, and have no ID. Besides,
cats are considered "property"....what are they gonna sue for? Loss of
income from kittens? I don't think so.
I say, if Bonbon can afford to do that, go for it, girlfriend.

Sherry

Old August 3rd 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

wrote:

bonbon wrote:
[...]

What you're forgetting though, is that an attorney's services cost
about $150 an hour. Even representing
yourself in a small claims without an attorney is expensive, and a lot
of hassle. Nobody's going to to
that over the sterilization of a cat. No judge is going to award any
kind of judgment to the owner of a mixed-breed
cat, either. Just being practical.

Sherry

Old August 3rd 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bonbon

That's correct. I'm thinking the answer is to just cat nap the
babies, take them down the street to our vet and have them
spayed/neutered ourselves. Of course, I'll have to do it on the
sly.....it wouldn't be the first time I footed the bill to have
neighbor cats altered. Of course there is always the pesky
inconvenience of having to explain to the DH where that extra money
disappeared to. But hey.....we're in love, and I have my ways of
getting around that sort of trouble g

Legally you can't do that. Those cats aren't strays. You could find
yourself in a world of hurt if you cat-nap them and have an unauthorized
medical procedure performed on them without the consent of the "owners".

Jill

This is true Jill, and a very good point. However, these people are
completely oblivious where cat care is concerned. They're always
consulting me on how to care for their pooties. I'm thinking that
next week after the DH gets paid, I'll simply approach the subject
with them and tell them it's a gift from us. The teenage kids are
really nice and well behaved children and they really love those
kittens. They always invite me to go trick-or-treating with them at
halloween. Naturally, I always dress up as a cat. Go figure.

-bonbon
Old August 3rd 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bonbon

Legally you can't do that. Those cats aren't strays. You could find
yourself in a world of hurt if you cat-nap them and have an unauthorized
medical procedure performed on them without the consent of the "owners".

Jill- Hide quoted text -

It would be extremely hard to press that, though. If the cats are
freeroaming, and have no ID. Besides,
cats are considered "property"....what are they gonna sue for? Loss of
income from kittens? I don't think so.
I say, if Bonbon can afford to do that, go for it, girlfriend.

Sherry

Thank you Sherry. The neighbors have no problem with their cats being
altered. They just simply don't want to put forth the money to have it
done.

I'm not scared.

-bonbon
Old August 3rd 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default This Really Chaps My Hide

"bonbon" wrote in message
The neighbors that live across the cul-de-sac from us have two teen
age kids. The parents are going through a divorce, so 'mom' lets each
kid bring home a kitten. Kiko is about 6 months old, and really
starting to show his manhood. Jinx is a gorgeous little black sh who
is about 3 or 4 months old. I went calling this morning to say hi and
pet the cats. I mentioned (again) that they really need to look into
spaying and neutering the pooties a.s.a.p. The reply I got was "Well,
we really can't afford that".

I swear to God......some people really make me pro-nuclear.

Sorry for ranting.

-bonbon

The Houston S.N.A.P. clinic charges some ridiculous fee like $15 for males
and $25 for females (I think, they took down their web site so I can't
check, but below is the info if you want to print it out and put it in their
mailbox):

Snap Surgery Clinic

1603 Shepherd Dr
Houston, TX 77007
(713) 863-0010

Old August 3rd 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

wrote:

bonbon kirjoitti:
[...]

They would have to have proof that they owned the cats, and here in Houston
that's copies of your vet bills showing where and when you vetted your
animals - and it's pretty obvious the neighbors won't have those.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 3rd 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

wrote:

bonbon wrote:
[...]

Again, they would have to have proof that they owned the cats in order to
bring forth a suit, and here in Houston that's copies of your vet bills
showing where and when you vetted your animals - and it's pretty obvious the
neighbors won't have those. I don't think any judge would even hear a case
like this.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 3rd 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

It would be extremely hard to press that, though. If the cats are
freeroaming, and have no ID. Besides,
cats are considered "property"....what are they gonna sue for? Loss of
income from kittens? I don't think so.
I say, if Bonbon can afford to do that, go for it, girlfriend.

Sherry-

We had a case in the UK where someone had got fed up of a
neighbourhood tom cat spraying and basically took him to the vet to
have him neutered. The owner tried to get the police & RSPCA involved
claiming it was animal abuse and *theft* of his manhood. I think the
party line taken by the police (when they stopped laughing) was that
she had to prove it. When she went to the papers she tried to get the
RSPCA to comment, and their line was well, "We can't comment on
individual cases, but all companion animals should be spayed and
neutered so the person who did this was acting in the best interests
of the animal".

It was actually one of the funniest things I've ever read. The owner
tried to claim that the cat was psychologically scared because he no
longer had his manhood. The papers had a field day about the
owner.....oh, and promoted spay and neuter too. ;o)

Helen M