This Really Chaps My Hide

Old August 3rd 07, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

Default This Really Chaps My Hide - I forgot to mention......

On Aug 3, 1:07 pm, bonbon wrote:
Legally you can't do that. Those cats aren't strays. You could find
yourself in a world of hurt if you cat-nap them and have an unauthorized
medical procedure performed on them without the consent of the "owners".

Jill- Hide quoted text -

It would be extremely hard to press that, though. If the cats are
freeroaming, and have no ID. Besides,
cats are considered "property"....what are they gonna sue for? Loss of
income from kittens? I don't think so.
I say, if Bonbon can afford to do that, go for it, girlfriend.

Sherry

Thank you Sherry. The neighbors have no problem with their cats being
altered. They just simply don't want to put forth the money to have it
done.

I'm not scared.

-bonbon

If these people can't be bothered to take their kittens to the vet, I
doubt if they'll
be bothered to try and hunt down who performed vet services on them.
Just take
the kitties to a vet that's at least an hour's drive away.
Would that work?

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old August 3rd 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bonbon

I'm not scared.

-bonbon

If these people can't be bothered to take their kittens to the vet, I
doubt if they'll
be bothered to try and hunt down who performed vet services on them.
Just take
the kitties to a vet that's at least an hour's drive away.
Would that work?

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Thanks for the input Jane. The problem here right now is that my
truck refuses to start, so we have one vehicle between us. I have to
be on the ready if I want to drive the car, and do it before 7:15 a.m.
or after 5:30 p.m. I can always resort to my womanly wiles to get my
way though........

-bonbon
Old August 3rd 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Sherry wrote:
On Aug 3, 11:51 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
bonbon wrote:
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:55:13 -0500, Victor Martinez
wrote:

bonbon wrote:
That these neighbors who 'can't afford' to spay and neuter these
two beautiful little cats have a brand new pick-up truck sitting
in their driveway.

Is there a low-cost spay/neuter program near you?

Yes, there is a low-cost program here, but only certain times of the
month, and at certain locations. Naturally, the 'clinic's on
wheels' always seem to happen way over on the other side of Houston
and by the time the neighbor sees fit to go the distance to get
these guys taken care of, I'll already of secretly had them into
our vet down the street and foot the bill myself to get them ship
shape.

Again, you can't do that. They could sue the crap out of you. They
could claim they were planning to breed them. How would they NOT
notice the shaved patch and stitches from having the female spayed?
I don't know about the neutering process but I'm pretty sure there's
some obvious sign of that, too.

Jill- Hide quoted text -

What you're forgetting though, is that an attorney's services cost
about $150 an hour. Even representing
yourself in a small claims without an attorney is expensive, and a lot
of hassle. Nobody's going to to
that over the sterilization of a cat. No judge is going to award any
kind of judgment to the owner of a mixed-breed
cat, either. Just being practical.

Sherry

Hate to say this, but I saw just such a case on one of those daytime judge
shows (small claims court). The plaintiff sued the defendent for having
their dog neutered without express permission. The plaintiff won. So it
can happen.

But if these people have no problem with it, then I'd make sure I got it in
writing just to be safe.

Jill

Old August 3rd 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bonbon

Hate to say this, but I saw just such a case on one of those daytime judge
shows (small claims court). The plaintiff sued the defendent for having
their dog neutered without express permission. The plaintiff won. So it
can happen.

But if these people have no problem with it, then I'd make sure I got it in
writing just to be safe.

Jill

Thank you so much Jill. I know where you're coming from, and I
appreciate your posts to beware on this whole matter. Like I said
before though, I'm more concerned with helping than I am concerned
with having a lawsuit thrown at me.

Prrrrrrrrt.

-bonbon
Old August 3rd 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bonbon

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:35:54 -0700, wrote:

It would be extremely hard to press that, though. If the cats are
freeroaming, and have no ID. Besides,
cats are considered "property"....what are they gonna sue for? Loss of
income from kittens? I don't think so.
I say, if Bonbon can afford to do that, go for it, girlfriend.

Sherry-

We had a case in the UK where someone had got fed up of a
neighbourhood tom cat spraying and basically took him to the vet to
have him neutered. The owner tried to get the police & RSPCA involved
claiming it was animal abuse and *theft* of his manhood. I think the
party line taken by the police (when they stopped laughing) was that
she had to prove it. When she went to the papers she tried to get the
RSPCA to comment, and their line was well, "We can't comment on
individual cases, but all companion animals should be spayed and
neutered so the person who did this was acting in the best interests
of the animal".

It was actually one of the funniest things I've ever read. The owner
tried to claim that the cat was psychologically scared because he no
longer had his manhood. The papers had a field day about the
owner.....oh, and promoted spay and neuter too. ;o)

Helen M

Well, maybe to protect myself, when I take Kiko (the male) in to get
snipped I should have a set of neuticals applied to him? g

-bonbon
Old August 3rd 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 3, 1:54 pm, bonbon wrote:
[...]

-bonbon- Hide quoted text -

LOL! Yes! Be careful. If you *do* become Houston's new Neutress of the
Night, you may be sued
for loss of manhood. (cathood?)....and the judgment may be that you're
responsible for providing
said cat with a brand, shiny, new set of Neuticles.

Sherry

Old August 3rd 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"bonbon" wrote in message
That these neighbors who 'can't afford' to spay and neuter these two
beautiful little cats have a brand new pick-up truck sitting in their
driveway.

GAK.

-(disgusted) bonbon

That's often the way. I turned down some potential owners for a puppy
because the husband balked at the (reasonable) price, saying it would mean
he would not be able to have a new car. I looked outside at their car
parked there, it was only a few years old, 3 or so.
It was the wife that seemed to want the puppy but I was very unhappy with
his response. So they didn't get her because they didn't deserve her. I
just said that "after assessing your situation, I don't think I have a puppy
that would suit you, I'm sorry."
She went on to get a fantastic home. The new slaves sent me a yearly letter
on how wonderful she was and when she passed away sadly early at 12 from
cancer, the letter I got to tell me the news nearly broke my heart at their
distress. I cried. I still have it along with the photo they sent me of
her final resting place. I keep it to remind me not to be cynical about
occasionally breeding a litter. How else would such wonderful people have
been able to get the dog they wanted and cherished all her life?

I have no dogs now and I do miss that. Kitty FC would accept one for sure,
but Boyfriend *definitely* wouldn't. He's nervous of his own shadow and
every visitor. He will disappear immediately into the garden if the door
bell rings and will return around 2 minutes after the visitor has left.
I would love to have a dog or two again, but I know it would freak him out
big time, so it's out of the question for 15 years. I would not even try to
attempt it. I know that I would see him disappearing over the horizon never
to be seen again. I would be devastated if I lost this lovely, beautiful,
kind, gentle, shy cat for a selfish wish to have dogs again. I love him. I
suspect he loves me, too, in his quiet way.

Tweed

Tweed

Old August 4th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-08-03 13:07:26 -0500, bonbon said:

I'm not scared.

-bonbon

If these people can't be bothered to take their kittens to the vet, I
doubt if they'll
be bothered to try and hunt down who performed vet services on them.
Just take
the kitties to a vet that's at least an hour's drive away.
Would that work?

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Thanks for the input Jane. The problem here right now is that my
truck refuses to start, so we have one vehicle between us. I have to
be on the ready if I want to drive the car, and do it before 7:15 a.m.
or after 5:30 p.m. I can always resort to my womanly wiles to get my
way though........

-bonbon

Hmm. If you are willing to foot the expense, can you get vouchers from
a vet (since neighbors claim it is just the money). Or would that be
too much "up to chance"?

Old August 4th 07, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

wrote:

bonbon wrote:
[...]

Ya know, Jill, it's really up to Bonbon. She's stated a lot to the fact
that the family isn't against the neutering. My personal belief is that
support and positive thinking goes a long way toward getting things
solved. Can't, Won't, Don't.....try a positive spin on something for
once. Negativity begats negativity.

Old August 4th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
bonbon

Again, you can't do that. They could sue the crap out of you. They could
claim they were planning to breed them. How would they NOT notice the
shaved patch and stitches from having the female spayed? I don't know about
the neutering process but I'm pretty sure there's some obvious sign of that,
too.

Jill

Ya know, Jill, it's really up to Bonbon. She's stated a lot to the fact
that the family isn't against the neutering. My personal belief is that
support and positive thinking goes a long way toward getting things
solved. Can't, Won't, Don't.....try a positive spin on something for
once. Negativity begats negativity.

Thank you Karen. I will continue to try to educate the neighbors on
how very very important it is to have the kitties altered before I
step in.

-bonbon