Crickets are FUN!

Old September 29th 04, 05:59 AM
Sherry

I once got zapped that way by a movie done as a fictitious newscast
about terrorists with nuclear weapons [can't recall the title, it had
to have been made before the early 1990s, because that's when I caught
this on TV while flipping channels at about 3-something AM].

I know the movie you're talking about, Seanette, and I can't remember the title
either. But it zapped me, too. :-)

Sherry

Old September 29th 04, 06:07 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:53:33 -0700, Seanette Blaylock
wrote:

had some very interesting things to say
about Crickets are FUN!:

War Games was clearly a fictional movie. I'm talking about a TV show or
radio broadcast written and performed to look and/or sound like real news.
Someone tuning in in the midst of the show might not realize it's just a
show, and think it's real news.
We're too jaded now to fall for a fake news story about aliens landing on
earth. But if it were done convincingly enough, I could certainly be taken
in by a made-to-look-real news broadcast about nuclear missiles, terrorist
attacks, etc.

I once got zapped that way by a movie done as a fictitious newscast
about terrorists with nuclear weapons [can't recall the title, it had
to have been made before the early 1990s, because that's when I caught
this on TV while flipping channels at about 3-something AM].

Would it be "Special Bulletin" from 1983?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086350/

According to IMDB: "A TV reporter and cameraman are taken hostage on a
tugboat while covering a workers strike. The demands of the
hostage-takers are to collect all the nuclear detonators in the
Charleston, SC area so they may be detonated at sea. They threaten to
detonate a nuclear device of their own of their demand isnt met."

IMDB Trivia says "When this film was first broadcast, the network
superimposed the word "dramatization" on the bottom of the screen
every few minutes and ran disclaimers after every commercial break, to
remind people it was only a movie. That didn't stop some people in
Charleston, S.C. from panicking anyway."

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com

Old September 29th 04, 06:18 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Jeanne Hedge had some very interesting things to say
about Crickets are FUN!:

[...]

And those precautions did not apply to the middle-of-the-night
re-showing I caught about 20 minutes of. :-)

This does sound like the movie I remember. I remember waking my
grandfather [I was living with him at the time] to ask him if we had
any family or friends in that area. :-)

[He was sympathetically amused when we figured out what had happened,
since his sister had been taken in by War of the Worlds. :-)]

Old September 29th 04, 03:14 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:18:26 -0700, Seanette Blaylock
yodeled:

[...]

Yikes!
The worst that ever happened to me, was that I awoke around 3 AM to a
Ben Casey rerun. Dick Clark (DICK CLARK) was the guest star, playing
a humanitarian jungle doctor, a la Albert Schweitzer, who was dying of
some mysterious jungle disease. I am NOT making this up. Now THAT
was disorienting.

Theresa

2 ferals StocksRusĀ® Cat anecdotes 47 March 2nd 04 09:07 AM
Again with the Great Grey Hunter Jill McQuown Cat anecdotes 13 September 23rd 03 05:19 AM