New Cat Meowing /Crying

Old December 11th 03, 09:04 AM
whooosh

Default New Cat Meowing /Crying

Dear All,

About three days ago I got a cat from a local animal charity. She is about
14 months old and has been spayed.

She is a really friendly cat and will follow you around and sit on your lap,
but she continually disappears into another room starts meowing loudly. I
suspect this is because she still needs time to settle in. I guess she may
be missing the other cats from the shelter.

Is there anything I should be doing to help her settle more quickly? will it
take a long time for this behaviour to stop?

other than this she is a great cat, she's eating and using the litterbox
normally. I've been spending lots of time with her, but I can't pet her all
the time.

what do you guys think?

Old December 11th 03, 09:20 AM
Meghan

Yes, I had a cat who did this same thing! Is your new cat a Siamese? That
breed can often be very vocal. My cat was a Persian, and she would
occasionally go to another room, or to another floor, and just meow. I
would usually go get her and bring her into the room I was in. I never
could figure it out - it seemed like she just wanted someone where *she*
wanted to be.

I have read that sometimes elderly cats can meow because they are confused,
or don't know where they are in the home. It might be possible your new cat
is confused or lost in the house, not because of age but because of the new
location. It's a good sign that she's eating and using the litterbox. She
might just need a little extra reassurance while she is getting used to her
new home.

Meghan

Old December 11th 03, 10:00 AM
whooosh

Thanks for the reply,

no she isn't Siamese or Persian, just a plain old moggie, which is why I was
surprised that she is being so vocal.

hopefully she will just settle down.

link.net...

Old December 11th 03, 10:20 AM
Simon Fitzpatrick

"whooosh" wrote in message
Dear All,

About three days ago I got a cat from a local animal charity. She is about
14 months old and has been spayed.

She is a really friendly cat and will follow you around and sit on your

lap,
but she continually disappears into another room starts meowing loudly. I
suspect this is because she still needs time to settle in. I guess she may
be missing the other cats from the shelter.

Is there anything I should be doing to help her settle more quickly? will

it
take a long time for this behaviour to stop?

other than this she is a great cat, she's eating and using the litterbox
normally. I've been spending lots of time with her, but I can't pet her

all
the time.

what do you guys think?

It is natural. It sounds like a wonderful cat. Give it time to explore.
It may be just saying "look at this".

Old December 11th 03, 02:32 PM
Mary

"whooosh" wrote in message
[...]

Have you got room for another cat? Maybe one she used to pal around
with at the shelter? If not, give her time and toys and maybe a cat
tree. Is there a window seat where she can look outside and watch the
birds, squirrels, and trees? Give her enough to occupy her and she
will adjust.

Bless you for adopting an adult cat from a shelter.

I wish there were more people just like you.