Persia and Peaches

Old December 20th 03, 10:13 AM
jmcquown

Default Persia and Peaches

Persia is doing much better. But she's still terribly jealous of my new
small parrot, Peaches. I've discovered through reading that Peaches is not
a peachface but rather a Nyasa lovebird. Tonight I had her out of her cage
(long story) cradled in my hand and was stroking her head. She relaxed to
the point of getting sleepy-eyed before I put her back in the cage.

Persia had been hiding because I gave her more Clavamox and then vacuumed
the apartment (she hates the vacuum.) She came out while I was holding
Peaches and started meowing at me and rubbing up against my legs. Peaches,
thankfully, only cast one glance at Persia and realized I wasn't going to
feed her to the cat!

It's a delicate balance between these two, particularly since Persia has
been ill. I suspect she thinks she's being supplanted by the bird, which is
not at all true. Persia is my baby.

Jill

Old December 20th 03, 11:12 PM
KatGrrrrl99

I went thru the same thing with my kitty Bastet & a hamster named
Button.....now i BREED hams & have 2 kids!!! Persia will get over it pretty
quickly....

One word of advice. Even if you don't think Persia will ever hurt the bird put
the bird in a separate room & keep the door shut!!! After all cats are
predators by nature!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vincent 6/27/01
Dorothy 6/4/03

Quitters never win, and winners never quit, but those who never quit AND never
win are idiots.

Old December 20th 03, 11:45 PM
jmcquown

KatGrrrrl99 wrote:
I went thru the same thing with my kitty Bastet & a hamster named
Button.....now i BREED hams & have 2 kids!!! Persia will get over it
pretty quickly....

One word of advice. Even if you don't think Persia will ever hurt the
bird put the bird in a separate room & keep the door shut!!! After
all cats are predators by nature!

Absolutely! And, I read in my book about lovebirds, cats carry a bacteria
which is harmless to them but deadly to lovebirds. It says if the bird ever
gets even batted with a paw from a cat, take the bird to an avian vet
immediately.

Jill

Old December 25th 03, 08:32 PM
jmcquown

rachel polanskis wrote:
In article ,
"jmcquown" wrote:

It's a delicate balance between these two, particularly since Persia
has been ill. I suspect she thinks she's being supplanted by the
bird, which is not at all true. Persia is my baby.

Persia may be your baby, but the parrot will demand 100% of your
attention, or they will go slowly insane, or sulk with jealousy until
it pulls all its feathers out.

I would love to keep a parrot, but they are very highly strung
animals which bond extremely tightly to their keepers and can
become very demanding. One would hope the bird and Persia bond
a bit to each other, such that they keep each other company.

rachel

Actually, Peaches (a small Nyasa lovebird) is doing quite well with all the
toys in her cage and my trying out various veggies and fruits as treats for
her. She does not demand constant attention at all, although I talk to her
every time I walk by the cage and she greets me with chirps when I come home
from work.

And Persia has settled down. She knows she still has my affection. We
snuggle on the sofa and she purrs while I read.

Lovebirds and cats cannot mix and become friends. Perhaps this is unlike
other parrot species. According to what I've read cats harbor a bacteria
which is harmless to them but can be deadly to lovebirds.

When Persia goes to nap in my bedroom I shut the door and take Peaches out
of her cage. Peaches is very young and still getting used to being handled.
But it's all working out just fine. Thanks for the input. Happy Holidays!

Jill