Updates - Garvin, etc.

Old April 3rd 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Updates - Garvin, etc.

First, the A/C disaster. DH took a day off work today (like we need that
dock in pay), and climbed up into the attic to look at the A/C. He puttered
around all morning and could see anything obviously wrong (the A/C was still
working all this while, but the drain pan was overflowing). He had to leave
the A/C on continuously and wait until the hottest part of the day (oh my
poor baby up there in that heat!!!) to duplicate the problem. He finally
took a "snake"(?) and "snaked" out the drain pipe that leads outside and
found that it was clogged and the "snake" unclogged it. So, thank Bast, we
don't have to call out an expensive A/C repairman (and boy do they gouge in
hot weather in Houston). However we still have a caved in ceiling and a wet
carpet - this we'll just live with a while until we can buy the materials to
repair it (it's not like anything else in the house is in good repair, so at
least we match!! ;).

Now to Garvin. He lets us pick him up so we're going to wait until Saturday
and try to put him in a carrier to bring him to the S.N.A.P. clinic for
testing, shots and worming (they're open 7 days a week so we can try again
on Sunday if we don't succeed on Saturday). I couldn't get a Saturday
appointment at the surgical clinic for neutering - the were booked until May
(they're open Tuesdays through Saturday). The soonest at all opening they
had is for next Thursday, the 10th. I'll have to take some time off next
Thursday to drop him off at 7:30, go to work, then take some time off to
pick him up between 3 and 4. One hitch... They will not take him unless he
is in a "Have-a-heart" trap. They said strays can turn vicious and they
can't afford to have a tech stick his hand in the carrier with a sedative
injection - with a trap they can jab him through the bars no matter where he
goes inside. Now I have to find someone I can borrow a trap from because we
sure can't afford to buy one for a one-off use! I once borrowed one from
Sunmart Rescue (where I adopted Archer and Ozzy) so I'm hoping I can do so
again - but they're only at PetsMart on weekends, so I'll have to wait and
see. In the meantime I'm going to call the Spring animal shelter to see if
they might have one I can borrow.

As usual, nothing ever goes easy for us - I guess I should be philosophical
and say that that only makes us stronger, but I think I'll just gripe about
our bad luck instead! ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old April 3rd 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Don't buy into that about what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. It all
wears. See, you just don't have any choice but keep putting one foot in
front of the other so, you do it.

Old April 3rd 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
22brix

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

One of the drawbacks to home ownership--not having a landlord to call for
repairs! We have a well and sometimes the pump quits working--we are then
out of water til my hubby can figure out what's wrong. It's good at least
you don't have to pay to have some repair your A/C!

[...]

Gads, sometimes it never ends! I wish you were closer--we have a trap but
we're in California so that doesn't help much. Purrs that things get sorted
out, Garvin, ceiling and all.

Bonnie

Old April 3rd 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Good news about not needing the A/C guy. But be sure to yank up that
section of the carpet + padding, a good foot around the obviously wet area.
I don't have to tell *you* about mold. If it got wet along the
baseboards/drywall put some fans on the area, ASAP.

[...]

The animal control people back home let you rent those traps for a small
(can't recall how much, it was just a few $) refundable deposit, if that
helps.

As usual, nothing ever goes easy for us - I guess I should be
philosophical and say that that only makes us stronger, but I think
I'll just gripe about our bad luck instead! ;

Griping is much more fun Really, we all need to vent from time to time
even when we've already made up our minds what to do.

Jill

Old April 3rd 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Do you have any feed stores in your area? When I needed to trap Samuel
Redcat I borrowed a trap from the local feed store.

Dan

Old April 3rd 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default OT: Rent vs. Own (WAS: Updates - Garvin, etc.)

22brix wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

You know, people have criticized me for years about renting vs. owning. Not
that it's any of their business, but it works out perfectly for me. I don't
pay for repairs, I just call the office and they send the people out.
Night, day, weekends, holidays, doesn't matter.

I have a large 2 br/2 bath flat (literally flat, one level, no stairs, no
upstairs neighbors to deal with and only one adjoining neighbor). I have a
lovely spacious private patio; I don't have to worry about yard-work. The
pine needles are a pain but for a $5 tip I can get their yard guys to blow
them away if I'm lazy... I do have a push broom, which isn't a pleasant
chore in 98F temps in the early morning in the summer

In the 10 years I've been living there they've had to replace the A/C, the
water-heater (and the carpet and padding where it leaked into the dining
room since the water heater is under a kitchen counter). They've replaced
one toilet (and the carpet where the water ran out into the master bedroom).
They've replaced the dishwasher & garbage disposal. When my refrigerator
died (I brought my own, with a reduction in rent) they put one of theirs in.
Every three months they replace the filter for the heat/A/C and check (and
replace as needed) the batteries to the two smoke alarms. They provide a
kitchen fire extinguisher and check it at the same time.

My rent increases have never been outrageous (I think $30 for one year was
the most ever). There wasn't a rent increase at all for 2008. My rent is
less than what the mortgage on a comparably sized house is, yet I don't have
to maintain a yard and I don't have to do a darn thing when something goes
wrong other than pick up the phone. It's great!

These people who don't understand renting vs. homeowning scream, "But you're
not building equity!" So what? I'm also not taking out home equity loans to
repair a bunch of stuff. G

Jill

Old April 3rd 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Apr 3, 1:22 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
[...]

I don't blame you one bit for griing. Griping is NOT whining..at least
you
are DOING SOMETHING (as in, "Do something, Muttley!" a la Dick
Dastardly) about all the problems and have plans to remedy situation.
But.....*you have HEAT!!?? Hopitus is sorely tempted to go up to
I-70, stick out my thumb, wave "hi" to Sherry as we zoom through
OK, and land on Your doorstep with Garvin...not for food but for
heat....control, control, control......

The last few days it's been in the high 80Fs here. You can imagine how hot
it had to be in the attic at mid-day! You'd might want to stay here until
around June or July when it's in the high 90Fs, but by August you'd be
running for your life as it climbs well over 100F - all in 100% humidity (we
don' need no stinkin' saunas here!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 4th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default Rent vs. Own (WAS: Updates - Garvin, etc.)

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
22brix wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Everyone should shut up and leave you alone about not building equity for
about the next five years. That's how long it will take most of us to
recoup the equity losses from the mortgage market meltdown.

As long as we stay put, it really doesn't matter much what the resale on our
house is now, vs a year ago vs next year. But it is brutal for anyone who
has to sell right now.

Jo

Old April 4th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"hopitus" wrote in message
[...]

Don't even knock the occasional whine. Once in a while you just have to
bring out the cheese and crackers and go with it.

I could go for a nice Chardonnay with maybe some smoked gouda and some
bagel crisps.

However I like ice in my wine so nobody watch. Even in really good wine.
Guess I'm a heathen.

Jo

Old April 4th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 3, 3:43*pm, hopitus wrote:
On Apr 3, 2:36 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:

22brix wrote:
"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

The hell with equity....equity goes quickly down the drain when
economics force
home sales near your mortgaged home go for half what you paid for
yours due
to the "iffy mortgage/foreclosure" crisis....putting YOUR remaining
mortgage
in the "upside-down" category (you owe more than your home is
assessed:
very bad very bad). The only great thing I ever found about owning was
the
tax credits for mortgage interest....a humongous break *as long as you
are
still working*. I don't need it anymore; income lower.- Hide quoted text -

Forget equity. The #1 advantage, IMO, to owning your home is that
there's
no one to tell you what you *can* and can't do. OTOH, there probably
*should* have been someone there to tell me that I sucked at sponge-
painting
and it was a very bad idea.
By the time the mortgage-burning ceremony comes around, the house is
20
years old or so, and payments are replaced with repair costs, and the
remodeling
costs to get rid of all the harvest gold that you thought was such a
marvelous
color 25 years ago.

Sherry

Sherry

Garvin Part Deux CatNipped[_2_] Cat anecdotes 17 April 8th 08 08:50 PM
Garvin CatNipped[_2_] Cat anecdotes 8 April 4th 08 01:55 PM
Updates on Max and Butterball mc Cat anecdotes 4 March 8th 08 10:50 PM
More Lilly updates sheelagh Cat health & behaviour 28 February 10th 07 11:17 PM
RPCA Map Updates jmcquown Cat anecdotes 7 July 24th 06 06:25 PM