Frustrated about yet more stinky feet

Old February 23rd 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

Default Frustrated about yet more stinky feet

On Thu 22 Feb 2007 04:38:36a, -L. wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

I hate to say it but we had a cat that came in to the vet like
this, and it ended up being cancer. We did everything to cure
infection, cultured it - everything. Finally did a biopsy and
it was some funky sort of cancer. The cat's paws eventually
progressed into lesions, crumbling away in pieces. She
eventiually had to be euthanized. One of the weirdest things I
have ever seen.

Sounds horrible! Well, I hope that is rare and isn't likely in
my Rhett's case. I can't imagine having to make that decision when
paws are crumbling.

Other than that, I can't think what it would be unless it is
recurrent fungal infection, which is also a possibility. Did
they culture it?

No, not yet. It's been discussed for the next time he has to come
in. Question, and this might eliminate the possibility of a fungal
infection. Would it respond to a steroid shot like an allergy does?
Because his does. Or maybe it's just the itch that responds.

WB by the way! I'm thinking about what you wrote before you left
before, about how hard it is to read here sometimes. Idiots doing
idiotic things to animals that are helpless. Heartbreaking.

--
Cheryl
Old February 23rd 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Wed 21 Feb 2007 09:00:47p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav :

I will be interested in seeing how vets treat fungal things for
cats, so please let us know.

Well, back before Shamrock was diagnosed with allergies, our former
vets office actually prescribed an antifungal, miconazole. And it
wasn't even diagnosed as a fungal infection! It really dried up the
skin, but since fungus wasn't the cause, it did nothing for him other
than make his skin flake. We fired that vet.

--
Cheryl

Old February 23rd 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Thu 22 Feb 2007 02:19:23a, 22brix wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

It sounds like a yeast infection like Candida albicans--yeast
infections can be quite smelly. They also itch and hurt and are
irritating as well (and they are a type of fungus). All the
licking would make it worse, providing a damp environment.

Good luck with Rhett!

Thanks, Bonnie. I've thought about candida too after all the thought
of fungus. I have a lot more to ask the vet about when I take him in.

--
Cheryl

Old February 23rd 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Wed 21 Feb 2007 09:00:47p, cybercat wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav :

I will be interested in seeing how vets treat fungal things for
cats, so please let us know.

Well, back before Shamrock was diagnosed with allergies, our former
vets office actually prescribed an antifungal, miconazole. And it
wasn't even diagnosed as a fungal infection! It really dried up the
skin, but since fungus wasn't the cause, it did nothing for him other
than make his skin flake. We fired that vet.

Hmm. Was it a topical medicine?

Old February 23rd 07, 07:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-L.

Cheryl wrote:

Sounds horrible! Well, I hope that is rare

It is, apparently.

and isn't likely in
my Rhett's case. I can't imagine having to make that decision when
paws are crumbling.

Other than that, I can't think what it would be unless it is
recurrent fungal infection, which is also a possibility. Did
they culture it?

No, not yet. It's been discussed for the next time he has to come
in. Question, and this might eliminate the possibility of a fungal
infection. Would it respond to a steroid shot like an allergy does?

It may, if the itch is one of the main symptoms.

Because his does. Or maybe it's just the itch that responds.

WB by the way! I'm thinking about what you wrote before you left
before, about how hard it is to read here sometimes. Idiots doing
idiotic things to animals that are helpless. Heartbreaking.

Thanks. I'm not really back. Just saw your post and decided to
respond. I seriously can't stomach Usenet much lately. Guess I'm
just tired of the idiots.

-L.

Old February 23rd 07, 11:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry

Default The Bitch Is Back, were.. Frustrated about yet more stinky feet

On Feb 23, 2:15 am, "-L." wrote:

Thanks. I'm not really back. Just saw your post and decided to
respond. I seriously can't stomach Usenet much lately. Guess I'm
just tired of the idiots.

-L.

Hows that "cat head in a jar" project coming along for you?
Do you still feed it 3 times a day with a blow straw?

Let us know

Hugs and prayers

Barry