Help Introducing New Cats

Old March 23rd 11, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Talker

Default Help Introducing New Cats

We have a foundling we have had for about four years. She was always an
inside / outside cat. She came in at night, but spent most days out. We
lived in a low traffic area on woods, so she had plenty of playground.
Four months ago, we had to transfer to another city where unfortunatly, we
had to make her an inside cat as this neighborhood isn't as safe for her to
be outside. She has free reign of the house and we have tried to provide
plenty for her to do, to make it easier for her. Now we have to make
another major change.

My sister has lost her job and will be moving in with us and bringing her
two cats. My cat has a proven history of disliking other cats and not
trusting people. She hides when people come into the house, even those she
knows. And whenever she's confronted any other cats it has not been a
pretty picture. Unfortunatly, I know nothing about her two cats.

I'm trying to figure out how to reduce the trama for everyone - as far as
the cats are concerned. Any suggestions?

--
Constitution; Bill of Rights; -- Void where prohibited by law
Old March 23rd 11, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

Hi Talker,

I've done introductions (and re-introductions) several times. The
thing to remember with cats is to take things slowly. It may take
weeks or even months to integrate cats, depending on their
personalities.

To start, here's an article on cat introductions:
http://catsinternational.org/article...roduction.html

I would suggest getting a couple of Feliway diffusers. Put one in your
sister's future room, and one in an area where your cat frequents.
Initially, her cats will stay in "her" room, so prepare an area for
them.

If your cat is nervous about other people, you may wish to add some
Rescue Remedy to her water or to the inside of her ears. This is an
herbal agent that has long been used to calm all sorts of animals.
www.rescueremedy.com

Rene
Old March 24th 11, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Talker[_2_]

Rene wrote in
:

http://catsinternational.org/article...introduction.h
tml

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the Feliway Diffuser. Anything
to help in a desparate situation.

--
Constitution; Bill of Rights; -- Void where prohibited by law
Old March 31st 11, 07:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"Rene" wrote in message
[...]

I tried Rescue Remedy on one of my cats who hates riding in our van. It was
a waste of money.