More of Kenzie's supplies....

Old October 26th 10, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

Default More of Kenzie's supplies....

I have 22 tins of sardines, and 13, 25 pound bags of cheap clay litter.

And 4 opened bags of cat food.

And four cans of Fancy Feast.

I also have a full, unopened bag of cat food; I'm hoping I can return
it. I have to look for the receipt.

I don't like sardines, but I'm going to start eating them, because they
are a good source of protein.

Obviously, my next cat, whenever I get one, will HAVE to use clay
litter.

When I got Kenzie, she used clumping litter.

I bought several boxes of it, but I had no place to dispose of the
clumps, easily. I used a covered 2 gallon container, but it got really
nasty when I opened it.

So I switched to the cheap clay litter, and Kenzie took to it
immediately. I scooped the solids daily into empty milk cartons, and
changed it every week.

I don't like to buy it during the winter, because of carrying it on my
icy driveway.

So I had been slowly stocking up, even as I bought less and less
groceries for myself.

I hope I get to like sardines....

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

"Life without cats IS only marginally worth living."
-TC, in loving memory of the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico
kitty, Kenzie.

Every day was a treasure with Kenzie; I tried to treat them that way.
There would only be so many, and now, there will never, ever, be any
more

- Robert Heinlein

Old October 26th 10, 06:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf)" wrote in message
[...]

Gandalf, I know you are in too much pain right now to consider adopting
another cat. However, the time will come, and you might like to have those
supplies (except for the already opened bags) for the new cat. They have a
long shelf life. I know when I lost my first cat, I was in such pain that I
thought I would never want to adopt another. Well, of course, I did and I
now know that I will never want to be without a cat. One cat cannot
possibly replace another, but it is a new life to love and to be loved by.
Each cat has his or her unique personality and needs.

Have you considered fostering, at least as a temporary measure? You would
be giving a home to a needy kitty until a permanent home can be found, and
there also would be no financial cost to you because shelters and humane
organizations that arrange for fosters almost always cover all of the costs
(including veterinary) of taking care of them.

MaryL

Old October 26th 10, 07:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 00:46:20 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

[...]

I'm not going to get RID of anything I can use.

I'm going to give the open cat food to a neighbor, save the litter for
the next cat, and eat the sardines, or most of them, because I'm
hungry

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

Old October 26th 10, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf)" wrote in message
I have 22 tins of sardines, and 13, 25 pound bags of cheap clay litter.

And 4 opened bags of cat food.

Birds and squirrels will eat dry cat food.

And four cans of Fancy Feast.

I wouldn't recommend feeding that to birds and squirrels.

I also have a full, unopened bag of cat food; I'm hoping I can return
it. I have to look for the receipt.

I'm pretty sure if you explain the circumstances the store will take it
back.

I don't like sardines, but I'm going to start eating them, because they
are a good source of protein.

I don't like sardines, either. But tinned sardines don't go bad, so just
hang onto them for a while. JMHO.

So I switched to the cheap clay litter, and Kenzie took to it
immediately. I scooped the solids daily into empty milk cartons, and
changed it every week.

I don't like to buy it during the winter, because of carrying it on my
icy driveway.

You can spread clay litter on the driveway when it ices to give you traction
so you don't slip and fall!

Jill

Old October 26th 10, 02:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kraut / Larry S.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 06:30:11 GMT, ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com
(Gandalf) wrote:

[...]

I know this may be hard to believe right now but things will get
easier as time passes. I have been through the pain of loosing a
loved furbabies several times and you never forget them but the pain
deminishes but the good memories remain.

Old October 26th 10, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 09:29:13 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

[...]

One thing I get plenty of here is ice.

I've never thought of using kitty litter!

I've always used sand, which is heavier, and costs more

Thank you for the great idea!

I've used it to soak up oil spills in my garage: car parts places sell
the exact same thing, marked as 'oil absorbent', but is costs twice as
much!

I just never thought of using it on ice!

Falling down is no fun

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

Old October 26th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

[...]

You are experiencing what I did when KFC passed away. It took me a while to
decide to feed Boyfie all the posh food I had (because of her lack of
appetite) and I still have bags of litter even now.
One day I might have a use for them again and perhaps you will, too.
((hugs))
Tweed

Old October 26th 10, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

[...]

FYI: According to my ophthalmologist, sardines are good for your eyes
especially in helping to prevent macular degeneration, and also to help
it from getting worse.
Back when I used to drive, I always carried a couple of bags of kitty
litter in the trunk of my car in the winter. It is helpful if you ever
get stuck in snow and ice.
Save the kitty supplies -- kitty lovers cannot do without a furry
companion for long. Kenzie will guide a little friend to you. Best
wishes. MLB
Old October 27th 10, 07:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf)" wrote in message
I have 22 tins of sardines, and 13, 25 pound bags of cheap clay litter.

Sardines are good for you. I like to make sandwiches with them.

As for disposing of litter pan solids, I use those plastic bags from WalMart
and tie the tops so the smell doesn't escape. They go right into the
trashcan.

Old October 27th 10, 07:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kelly Greene[_4_]

"ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf)" wrote in message

Falling down is no fun

The last time I tripped and fell I broke my ankle. It was off to the ER.
It was the most painful thing I ever had to endure. It took weeks to heal.