Giving cat medicine

Old September 13th 03, 05:27 PM
Phil P.

"SexyGirl" wrote in message
m...
Hello,

My cat was just put on heart medication and I attempted to give it to
her this morning. She is not big on treats so putting it in cheese or
bologna wouldn't work and she spit it out when I tried to pill her. I
really stressed her out which is something the vet said shouldn't be
done. Any advice for giving medicine to a cat would be greatly
appreciated. Are there some treats out there that no cat would pass
up? My cat seems to have a problem eating anything that is not hard
food.

Thanks, Shannon

See: http://www.maxshouse.com/Medicating_Your_Cat.htm

Old September 14th 03, 07:17 PM
~*SooZy*~

get a syringe with a little bit of water in it, throw the tablet in and give
a little water from the side of the cats mouth and it should swallow it....
as all humans know most people cant swallow tablets without a drink as they
stick to the roof of the mouth

--
Luv'n'Stuff
*~*SooZy*~*

Old September 15th 03, 04:26 PM
dgk

On 13 Sep 2003 06:52:13 -0700, (SexyGirl) wrote:

Hello,

My cat was just put on heart medication and I attempted to give it to
her this morning. She is not big on treats so putting it in cheese or
bologna wouldn't work and she spit it out when I tried to pill her. I
really stressed her out which is something the vet said shouldn't be
done. Any advice for giving medicine to a cat would be greatly
appreciated. Are there some treats out there that no cat would pass
up? My cat seems to have a problem eating anything that is not hard
food.

Thanks, Shannon

Everyone has been giving good advice. I know that it isn't easy since
I had to pill my cat for quite a few months. On the lighter side, I
just got this in email and it seems sort of appropriate:

HOW TO GIVE A CAT A PILL:

1. Pick the cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if
holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's
mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand.
As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and
swallow.
2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm
and repeat process.
3. Retrieve cat from bedroom and throw soggy pill away.
4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm, holding rear paws
tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with
right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.
5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call
spouse from outside.
6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear
paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with
one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub
cat's throat vigorously.
7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make
note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered
figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.
8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on it with head just
visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth
open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.
9. Check label to make sure pill is not harmful to humans, drink one beer to
take taste away. Apply Band Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from
carpet with cold water and soap.
10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer.
Place cat in cupboard and close door, leave head showing. Force mouth open
with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.
11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges.
Drink beer. Fetch bottle of Scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to
cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Apply whiskey compress
to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch
new one from bedroom.
12.Call the fire department to retrieve the @#&'$ cat from tree across the
road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid
cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.
13. Tie the little @#*&'$'s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and
bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from
shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak.
Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour two pints of water down
throat to wash pill down.
14. Consume remainder of Scotch. Get spouse to drive to the emergency
room,
sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm, and removes pill
remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.
15. Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat and ring local pet shop to see
if they have any hamsters.

How to Give a Dog a Pill

1. Wrap it in bacon.

Old September 15th 03, 07:09 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:26:30 -0400, dgk
wrote:

[...]

Can you either get a liquid form or crush the pill in a small amount
of liquid and give it with en eye dropper (not syringe or pill gun)?
My cat willingly (always has) taken "drops"
from an eyedropper. She just sits on the bathroom counter and lets
me insert it into the right side of her mouth. MLB

Maybe start with a tasty liquid.