cage rest and food question

Old March 31st 04, 01:27 PM
veronicka

Default cage rest and food question

Hope I'm in the right place to be asking this question. Have just been
through a harrowing 24 hours with my cat to the emergency vet in the
middle of the night- hit by a car and 3 "clean" fractures to the
pelvis. The critical thing was bladder function and she proved that
she can "go" after I picked her up this morning- so that was a relief.
She's been on IV fluids overnight at the vet, and today she just won't
drink anything! She's tucked up in her cage for the next 6-8 weeks and
I've "forced" about 20mls (I think that's about 2/3 ounce) into her
with a syringe.I understand her not wanting to eat just yet, but the
no drinking is worrying me. Has anyone else had this experience?
thanks in advance for any help.
Old March 31st 04, 05:29 PM
Sunflower

"veronicka" wrote in message
om...
Hope I'm in the right place to be asking this question. Have just been
through a harrowing 24 hours with my cat to the emergency vet in the
middle of the night- hit by a car and 3 "clean" fractures to the
pelvis. The critical thing was bladder function and she proved that
she can "go" after I picked her up this morning- so that was a relief.
She's been on IV fluids overnight at the vet, and today she just won't
drink anything! She's tucked up in her cage for the next 6-8 weeks and
I've "forced" about 20mls (I think that's about 2/3 ounce) into her
with a syringe.I understand her not wanting to eat just yet, but the
no drinking is worrying me. Has anyone else had this experience?
thanks in advance for any help.

Your vet may suggest subcutaneous fluids administered by you. It's not hard
to learn and it's extremely beneficial to a recuperating cat that just
doesn't feel well enough to drink yet. Do monitor her urination in case she
displays symptoms that weren't at first apparant and that might need a
revisit to your vet. At least she has this recuperation time to get used to
being an indoor kitty where she will be much safer.

Old March 31st 04, 06:50 PM
Joe Canuck

veronicka wrote:

Hope I'm in the right place to be asking this question. Have just been
through a harrowing 24 hours with my cat to the emergency vet in the
middle of the night- hit by a car and 3 "clean" fractures to the
pelvis. The critical thing was bladder function and she proved that
she can "go" after I picked her up this morning- so that was a relief.
She's been on IV fluids overnight at the vet, and today she just won't
drink anything! She's tucked up in her cage for the next 6-8 weeks and
I've "forced" about 20mls (I think that's about 2/3 ounce) into her
with a syringe.I understand her not wanting to eat just yet, but the
no drinking is worrying me. Has anyone else had this experience?
thanks in advance for any help.

If you feed wet food, she will be getting moisture. Don't get too
concerned about it just yet.

As your vet for suggestions.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old March 31st 04, 09:46 PM
Tracy

If you can get close to her (which is always an open question with a
wounded cat) try gently dropping a little water on her nose. She will
more than likely lick it off no matter how weak she is and that will
get some moisture into her. I did that, based on advice I got from a
family member, when I had a cat with a fever, and it worked like a
charm.

(And whatever you decide about outdoor access in the future, it's a
good idea to bring kitties inside at night because the cars don't see
them - (although if she pulls through, I'd doubt she'd be too
interested in the road from hereon). But it's better for avoiding
catfights, exposure to diease-carrying strays, and any natural
predators as well. Just a good idea all around.