Two cats is better?

Old April 7th 04, 03:51 PM
trents32

Default Two cats is better?

We are considering getting a cat.
Will a cat be happier with companionship of 2nd cat.
Is there an issue getting two cats?
Does it matter if they both male or female or a mix when both are nuetered
and spayed?
We lost our cat and to have enough cats for everyone in family to share I
thought 2 cats would be good.

Thank you for any thoughts

Old April 7th 04, 06:40 PM
Mary

"trents32" wrote in message
We are considering getting a cat.
Will a cat be happier with companionship of 2nd cat.

Having lived for years with an only cat, and then later
with two, I think so. It is particularly nice when you a
are at work, because they have one another for
company. I would recommend having things
arranged so that each cat has his or her own
territory--in my case this is a three-level
house, and one has her box and food in the
utility room, the other in a third-floor bedroom.
This gave them safe space and a middle floor
to meet on and get to know one another. Now
they are the best of friends. Good luck, it sounds
like whatever kitties you get will be very happy.

Old April 7th 04, 06:54 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article , "trents32"
wrote:

We are considering getting a cat.
Will a cat be happier with companionship of 2nd cat.
Is there an issue getting two cats?
Does it matter if they both male or female or a mix when both are nuetered
and spayed?
We lost our cat and to have enough cats for everyone in family to share I
thought 2 cats would be good.

I had serial only-cats until a few years ago. Then I had two for a
while and now three. It makes *such* a lot of difference to the cats to
have a companion. They play, snuggle, groom, chase etc., which is great
fun to observe, while still having plenty of affection left over for me.
And it's almost no additional work to have greater than one cat rather
than just one.

Gender mix depends largely on personality, although my limited
experience with famales (one, currently my all-time favorite, but a
royal bitch to the boys) says go with altered males. ;-) OR if you can
adopt two cats who have lived with each other for a while or are litter
mates, either of those options is the absolute best. Premium best is
two older cats whose human has died or gone into a nursing home. That
wins you big stars in your crown in heaven and also guarantees two
grateful bonded cats.

Priscilla

Old April 7th 04, 09:23 PM
GovtLawyer

We are considering getting a cat.
Will a cat be happier with companionship of 2nd cat.
Is there an issue getting two cats?
Does it matter if they both male or female or a mix when both are nuetered
and spayed?
We lost our cat and to have enough cats for everyone in family to share I
thought 2 cats would be good.

Thank you for any thoughts

I understand the repeated effort to get people to adopt cats already together;
I'm all for that. I think the absolute best thing in the whole world is to
adopt two kittens at the same time. Doesn't matter much male or female as I'm
sure you'll neuter them when they are at the right age. They will love each
other, play, etc. You'll have the absolute joy of watching them grow up when
they are the most fun and most amusing. They will be companions for life and
keep each other company when you are away. Yes, two is awesome for you and
them.

Old April 7th 04, 11:40 PM
CajunPrincess

Karen Chuplis wrote in message ...
in article , trents32 at wrote on
4/7/04 9:51 AM:

We are considering getting a cat.
Will a cat be happier with companionship of 2nd cat.
Is there an issue getting two cats?
Does it matter if they both male or female or a mix when both are nuetered
and spayed?
We lost our cat and to have enough cats for everyone in family to share I
thought 2 cats would be good.

Thank you for any thoughts

Two is ALWAYS better. I've never heard anyone say different.

From the perspective of what the cat likes, while I believe this is
often true, I don't think it is universally the case. It depends upon
the particular cat involved, especially if you're thinking of adopting
adult cats who are not already buddies. When I was looking to adopt
last year, I decided I wanted two adult cats. There were cats at the
Cat Clinic which the people handling adoptions told me definitely had
to be "only cats"; there were also a pairs that were buddies and would
only be adopted out together. The two guys I adopted were'nt buddies
at the shelter. They tolerate each other and occasionally play, but to
be honest even though they are generally very happy, I think if they
could have the best of all possible worlds each would probably would
like it even better if they were "only cats".

IMO, if you want to adopt two or more cats and be *really sure* that
they enjoy being with each other, you should adopt adults who are
already bonded or adopt them while they are still kittens so that they
grow up together. Probably the surest bet is to adopt kittens from
the same litter. But in the end, even if you adopt more than one cat
and they don't turn out to be best friends, as long as they at least
tolerate each other they can have a great life because they have a
home where they're loved and cared for.

If you get them
at the same time, you have an even easier time of it. If you can find it in
your heart to adopt two who have always been together and were turned into
the shelter it is even a bigger blessing.

Karen