Cat likes to make noise when I'm trying to fall asleep

Old July 6th 04, 08:00 AM
Mark Healey

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 06:09:15 UTC, (Mark Healey) wrote:

This had been happening for a while then stopped now he is doing it
again. When I'm trying to go to sleep the cat starts to scratch on a
cabinet in my bedroom like when they want you to open a door. There
is nothing in the cabinet, consequently nothing to interest him. He
only does this when I'm trying to sleep. I keep a squirt bottle by
the bed and shoot him whenever he starts. Now he stop's and runs away
when I reach for the bottle but he still starts the scratching again.

It's getting to be a real problem. The cycle of scratch, squirt,
doze, scratch, squirt doze....can go on for hours. If I lock him out
of the room he scratches the door.

I don't want to give him away or have him put down but this has to
stop. I am literally losing sleep over this.

Not to worry. I couldn't put him down. I was writing 5 hours before
I had to get up for work.

The cat is three or four. I don't like the noise idea because his
brother is usually curled up on by back and purring when this happens
and I don't want to discourage that.

He doesn't like mellow petting but he will go ape **** with massive
forhead rubbing when his head is scratched and he never gets tired
of it. He hates to be held and wond sit on anyones lap but will sleep
on a prone persons chest.

I guess I'll try to tucker him out with the laser pointer.

--
Mark Heaely
marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com
Old July 6th 04, 05:05 PM
MaryL

"Dermuid" wrote in message

"Sherry " wrote in message
:
: On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 06:09:15 +0000, Mark Healey wrote:
:
: I don't want to give him away or have him put down but this has to
: stop. I am literally losing sleep over this.
:
: Open the cabinet.
:
: --
: Dennis Carr -
:
: Brilliant. The voice of reason. I love that solution. It's exactly what
I'd do.
:
: Sherry

Better still, put the cabinet in another room and he can scratch all he
wants then.

That assumes that the cabinet is not permanently mounted...but I still like
the suggestion to just leave the cabinet door open (being sure that there is
nothing dangerous inside). Holly can open every cabinet door in the house,
and I frequently find them open. It's not a problem at all, and a little
"help" for this cat might solve the nighttime problem.

MaryL