What To Do With My Cat?

Old December 30th 03, 05:59 AM
Luvskats00

Default What To Do With My Cat?

My 4 year old (neutered) male dsh baby has been with me since he was 2 months
old. He had a companion - until August...my other cat (18 year old spayed dsh
female) passed away. I adopted a 5 year old (spayed) dsh female 6-7 weeks ago.
Resident cat has never allowed new cat to remain in one place..he chases her.
So, I kept new cat in bedroom and resident cat in the rest of the house. I
allowed them to mingle - supervised - for small periods of time throughout the
day/night. When resident cat became too much of a bully, new cat hid behind the
bookcase.

A pipe broke in my kitchen, forcing removal of parts of the wall, kitchen
cabinets,etc. Now that everything has been removed from the kitchen and
plaster is to dry (and eventually wall is to be painted, etc.) my resident cat
is not able to have access to the remaineder of apartment. Both cats need to be
in the bedroom.

There's the problem. Even if I cage new cat, resident cat goes around the cage
for hours bothering new cat. I put a sheet over the cage, but it's not serving
as protection.

I exhausted all options for foster situations and was looking to board new
cat....I hate to do it. There's one cat facility where they board cats in
"mini-rooms", not cages and let cats out to play.

Any other ideas will be welcome. I was looking to rent a second apartment (in
my building) for a month - if possible - and let new kitty stay there. No luck
so far. I'm in Queens, NY.

Any ideas will be welcome! Thanks.
Old December 30th 03, 07:47 AM

You should find a new home for the second cat. Forcing her to live the
way she has, being antagonized by your cat or completely separated for
the rest of her life is cruel. You are going to have to swallow your
pride and admit that you made very poor decisions regarding this
adoption. Don't make the cat suffer for your ignorance. Find her a good
home in a one cat household where she won't be attacked and isolated.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old December 30th 03, 03:00 PM
Ted Davis

On 30 Dec 2003 04:59:55 GMT, (Luvskats00) wrote:

My 4 year old (neutered) male dsh baby has been with me since he was 2 months
old. He had a companion - until August...my other cat (18 year old spayed dsh
female) passed away. I adopted a 5 year old (spayed) dsh female 6-7 weeks ago.
Resident cat has never allowed new cat to remain in one place..he chases her.
So, I kept new cat in bedroom and resident cat in the rest of the house. I
allowed them to mingle - supervised - for small periods of time throughout the
day/night. When resident cat became too much of a bully, new cat hid behind the
bookcase.

snip

Any ideas will be welcome! Thanks.

Sometimes a cat simply will not get along with one or more others. In
the last year or so, I've has one that would attack every other cat -
he had to be not the dominant cat, but the only cat (I think he is
responsible for the dissappearance of one). I found him a single cat
home ... twice. I also have several that don't get along with certain
others, but since they have 24/7 access to outdoors, they make do.

A city apartment is a very different place from a rural home, so you
really do need a different approach. Many people recommend Feliway
for all sorts of behavior problems involving stress - you might try
that, after all, a construction project is certainly a stressful
situation.

T.E.D. )
Old December 30th 03, 05:54 PM
Mary

Any ideas will be welcome! Thanks

There is medication for the bully cat to help him relax, plus Feliway. I'd also
try to play with the bully a lot to tire him out. Then I'd let the bully smell
the blankie of the new cat to get used to his smell. I'd brush them both with
the same brush. Also try to reward bully cat whenever he is near the new cat
and being nice. In your limited space, try to make an area just for the bully
cat, and one for the other cat. Give them each their own scratchy tree, pillow
and litter box, so maybe they will feel like they have their own territories.
Worse comes to worse, it might be an idea to start looking around for a good
home for the new cat. I have to place one of my nice cats because my bully cat
was not to nice to him. I waited til I found a great new place for him.
Old December 30th 03, 09:06 PM
Luvskats00

Did you take your medication today?

Old January 1st 04, 07:40 PM
Patrick

Luvskats00 wrote:
[...]

(My 2cents-worth and apologys if I offend)
I'd give the 'resident' a good 'clip' and a good-telliing-off (have the cat
see the hurt in *your* eyes).
By 'a good clip', I mean a physical contact that will demand the creatures
attention and wont be taken as 'praise'.