My cat chirps at birds

Old May 8th 05, 07:33 AM
Adam Helberg

Default My cat chirps at birds

My cat Freddy has an unusual behavior I've not seen in other cats and was wondering
if others have seen.

When he hears a bird singing he sits looking up and makes a chirping sound with his
lower jaw vibrating and his tail sweeping from side to side. It's very bizarre. Has
anyone else seen a cat do this?

Adam

Old May 8th 05, 08:14 AM
Squirrel

On Sun, 08 May 2005 06:33:43 GMT, "Adam Helberg"
wrote:

My cat Freddy has an unusual behavior I've not seen in other cats and was wondering
if others have seen.

When he hears a bird singing he sits looking up and makes a chirping sound with his
lower jaw vibrating and his tail sweeping from side to side. It's very bizarre. Has
anyone else seen a cat do this?

Adam

Yep, it is common practice for some cats, they almost seem to talk.

Squirrel

If homosexuality is a sickness, then I am going to start calling in queer to work.
Old May 8th 05, 09:23 AM
Shannon

"Adam Helberg" wrote in message
link.net...
My cat Freddy has an unusual behavior I've not seen in other cats and was

wondering
if others have seen.

When he hears a bird singing he sits looking up and makes a chirping sound

with his
lower jaw vibrating and his tail sweeping from side to side. It's very

bizarre. Has
anyone else seen a cat do this?

Adam

My 2 girls "talk" to the birds when they're sitting in the window. It's
pretty cute!!

Shannon

Old May 8th 05, 11:12 AM
M.C. Mullen

link.net...
:
: When he hears a bird singing he sits looking up and makes a chirping sound
with his
: lower jaw vibrating and his tail sweeping from side to side. It's very
bizarre. Has
: anyone else seen a cat do this?
:
: Adam

According to the cat book this is absolutely normal behaviour, I myself have
never been able to watch it though.

Carola

Old May 8th 05, 01:11 PM
.oO rach Oo.

My Stella does this... kind of a half meow half chirp. Sometimes its longer
an and almost stuttered but it's amusing nonetheless.

--
..oO rach Oo.

Old May 8th 05, 01:43 PM
Niels Peter

Adam Helberg skrev:

My cat Freddy has an unusual behavior I've not seen in other cats and was wondering
if others have seen.

When he hears a bird singing he sits looking up and makes a chirping sound with his
lower jaw vibrating and his tail sweeping from side to side. It's very bizarre. Has
anyone else seen a cat do this?

Adam

Several of the cats I've had over the years have made funny, almost
clicking noises with the same jaws movements you describe, every time
they've seen a bird outside the window.
As far as I can tell, it expresses the frustration of seeing a possible
prey without being able to get at it.

Niels Peter
www.bluewhite.dk
Old May 8th 05, 02:59 PM
Wendy

"Adam Helberg" wrote in message
link.net...
My cat Freddy has an unusual behavior I've not seen in other cats and was

wondering
if others have seen.

When he hears a bird singing he sits looking up and makes a chirping sound

with his
lower jaw vibrating and his tail sweeping from side to side. It's very

bizarre. Has
anyone else seen a cat do this?

Adam

All mine have done that.

Old May 8th 05, 03:04 PM
Wendy

"Niels Peter" wrote in message
. ..
Adam Helberg skrev:

My cat Freddy has an unusual behavior I've not seen in other cats and

was wondering
if others have seen.

When he hears a bird singing he sits looking up and makes a chirping

sound with his
lower jaw vibrating and his tail sweeping from side to side. It's very

bizarre. Has
anyone else seen a cat do this?

Adam

Several of the cats I've had over the years have made funny, almost
clicking noises with the same jaws movements you describe, every time
they've seen a bird outside the window.
As far as I can tell, it expresses the frustration of seeing a possible
prey without being able to get at it.

Niels Peter
www.bluewhite.dk

My Tigger made the same sound when she used to go outside. At the time I
figured she was telling off the mocking birds and blue birds who would dive
bomb her and try to peck her head. Since my other guys make similar sounds
and don't go outside I figure it's just a cat thing and I'll never
understand only being a lowly human.

Old May 8th 05, 03:11 PM
Spider

Adam Helberg wrote in message
link.net...
My cat Freddy has an unusual behavior I've not seen in other cats and was

wondering
if others have seen.

When he hears a bird singing he sits looking up and makes a chirping sound

with his
lower jaw vibrating and his tail sweeping from side to side. It's very

bizarre. Has
anyone else seen a cat do this?

Adam

Many cats do this. My currents cats just cry in frustration. However, my
previous cat - Tiggypuss - used to chirp and 'chatter' with his teeth while
his tail swished. The tail-swishing is awareness mixed with pure annoyment;
the chattering chirp is actually a 'practice run' for the killing bite which
kitty would use if only he/she could get at the bird. (The killing bite is
usually in the neck, so that the bird is swiftly subdued, thus avoiding
injury from the beak).

Spider

Old May 8th 05, 05:46 PM
mlbriggs

On Sun, 08 May 2005 06:33:43 +0000, Adam Helberg wrote:

My cat Freddy has an unusual behavior I've not seen in other cats and was
wondering if others have seen.

When he hears a bird singing he sits looking up and makes a chirping sound
with his lower jaw vibrating and his tail sweeping from side to side. It's
very bizarre. Has anyone else seen a cat do this?

Adam

Yes -- TuTu does it all the time. MLB

Cats and birds avalanche Cat anecdotes 10 November 24th 04 10:50 PM
Wild Birds and kibble [email protected] Cat rescue 2 October 4th 04 04:08 PM
BIRDS, BIRDS, BIRDS! Renee Darvin Cat anecdotes 16 April 20th 04 04:34 AM
Cats and Birds Brad Snow Cat anecdotes 7 November 23rd 03 09:41 PM
Cats and birds? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 16 October 15th 03 04:49 AM