My cat chirps at birds

Old May 8th 05, 05:46 PM

Yes, Otis does it, and unfortunately once managed to "capture" a half
brained London yukky pigeon and lay it beside my bed for me to step on
in the morning, I had to disinfect the carpet as they carry fleas, it
was gross!

Old May 8th 05, 06:57 PM
Fritti Fritti is offline
Member

Location: The Netherlands
Send a message via Yahoo to Fritti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Helberg
My cat Freddy has an unusual behavior I've not seen in other cats and was wondering
if others have seen.

When he hears a bird singing he sits looking up and makes a chirping sound with his
lower jaw vibrating and his tail sweeping from side to side. It's very bizarre. Has
anyone else seen a cat do this?

Adam
Yes, my cats do it too. There's a large tree in my back garden which has pigeons nesting in it, and on sunny days my cats sit on top of the pivot window and look out at the birds, and they make that twittering sound. That, and the sweeping tail, are signs of excitement and a form of agitation, sort of to let off steam for not to be able to get to those birds.
Old May 9th 05, 01:48 AM
DL Farnworth

"Shannon" wrote in message
:
: "Adam Helberg" wrote in
message
:
link.net...
: My cat Freddy has an unusual behavior I've not seen
in other cats and was
: wondering
: if others have seen.
:
: When he hears a bird singing he sits looking up and
makes a chirping sound
: with his
: lower jaw vibrating and his tail sweeping from side
to side. It's very
: bizarre. Has
: anyone else seen a cat do this?
:
: Adam
:
:
:
: My 2 girls "talk" to the birds when they're sitting
in the window. It's
: pretty cute!!
:
:
: Shannon
:
:

Yes, when Sally and Junior get in the window and
chitter at the starlings, it's cute. And I thought it
always was until Baby got in the window. She was just
purely carnivorous. Not cute at all!

Old May 9th 05, 05:50 AM
Shannon

"DL Farnworth" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Shannon" wrote in message
:
: "Adam Helberg" wrote in
message
:
link.net...
[...]

When I first saw Molly and Stinky talk to the birds, I had no idea what was
going on because I'd never seen my 2 boys do it. Then, I realized.

Shannon

Old May 13th 05, 12:12 PM
Frodos Prophet

Both of ours do this. The exception is that the older and much bigger,
(18lbs worth of cat muscle), does it only when he wants to play. The younger
and smaller female, chirps at the yard rats, (Squirrels), any bird, and
roaming male cats, from her favorite window perch. She also does this to the
bulldog we have in an outside kennel. Drives him into a frenzy of barking
and snarling. Recently, she's taken to chirping at the wife's gerbils and at
the imitation mouse toys we found at Petsmart. Did I mention that shes all
light gray, but apparently touched with a bit of blonde somewhere in
her..;-)

Syrano...

Old May 14th 05, 01:33 AM
Michael

"Adam Helberg" wrote in message
link.net...
My cat Freddy has an unusual behavior I've not seen in other cats and was
wondering if others have seen.

When he hears a bird singing he sits looking up and makes a chirping sound
with his lower jaw vibrating and his tail sweeping from side to side. It's
very bizarre. Has anyone else seen a cat do this?

Adam

Cute, indeed as perceived by a human :-) Not so cute for the birds... Your
kitty is getting warmed up to pounce on the bird and deliver the death blow.
The twitching tail is a sign that kitty is building up to an explosive
pounce. The movement of the jaw is your kitty warming up the mouth muscles
in preparation for snapping the birds neck. It is typical kitty behavior.
Though, some kitties will do this, and not attack the bird even if they
could. It is just a strong instinct. If you have ever seen you kitty eat
dry food, sometimes they will shake their head real fast when eating. This
is another feeding instinct. The shake their head real fast to strip meat
off the bone. Even if there is no bone, like when eating dry food, they
still shake their head while eating. Kitty has been honed by nature to be
an ideal land predator. They exhibit instinctual behavior constantly.
Including, the ritual you have noticed that your kitty goes through when
he/she sees birds.

Michael

Old May 15th 05, 06:16 AM
Adam Helberg

"Michael" wrote in message

[...]

I'm ashamed Freddy has killed three birds in the past but none recently.

Adam

Old May 16th 05, 11:50 AM
Mognusticat

Sitting at the window all day chattering the birds is an important release
for a cat

Cat Mog.

http://mogular.blogspot.com/

Old September 17th 05, 08:35 AM
Hayley

Hi,
Yes my cat does exactly the same,she is a female rescue cat and when we
first saw her do this at the birds we were not sure if this was normal or
not,but i guess it is.
Hayley
om...

Old September 17th 05, 09:00 AM
jmc

Had a cat do this as well. I called it her "kill. kill! KILLL!" noise:
she'd make that weird noise while rapidly knashing her teeth together.

So, instead of blonde, perhaps your cat's a wannabe homicidal maniac?

jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Hayley exclaimed (17-Sep-05 8:35 AM):
[...]

thlink.net...

My cat Freddy has an unusual behavior I've not seen in other cats and was
wondering if others have seen.

When he hears a bird singing he sits looking up and makes a chirping
sound with his lower jaw vibrating and his tail sweeping from side to
side. It's very bizarre. Has anyone else seen a cat do this?

Adam

Cats and birds avalanche Cat anecdotes 10 November 24th 04 10:50 PM
Wild Birds and kibble [email protected] Cat rescue 2 October 4th 04 04:08 PM
BIRDS, BIRDS, BIRDS! Renee Darvin Cat anecdotes 16 April 20th 04 04:34 AM
Cats and Birds Brad Snow Cat anecdotes 7 November 23rd 03 09:41 PM
Cats and birds? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 16 October 15th 03 04:49 AM