Frustrated about yet more stinky feet

Old February 21st 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

Default Frustrated about yet more stinky feet

Rhett has had a history of getting infections on his paws, though
for varying reasons. Several times the vet diagnosed an allergic
reaction (yes, another with allergies!! The last time she said
one of his paws looked burned, but if it was a burn, it could only
be carpet burn. He tears around the house and literally slides
across the carpet trying to grab hold with his claws when he gets
the zoomies. He was cleaned up with an antiseptic and prescribed a
spray antibiotic which he didn't tolerate well, but it healed.

Tonight once again I see him licking a rear paw (last one was a
front one) and while I didn't see anything, I took a queue from the
vet and sniffed it. Woooooeeeee it stinks, so there's another
infection setting in. What is going on here? He doesn't let me
really look it over, and at the vets office it takes a tech and me
to hold him while the vet checks. But I didn't see anything going
on from what little he let me see. I just flushed it with a wash I
bought at the vet office last time and will call them tomorrow to
see if I should bring him in. What in the world could be causing
his paws so much trouble all the time? Any ideas? Allergy? Could
an allergy only affect his paws and nothing else? What else can
cause stinky paws that end up flared up (not looking that way yet
this time, just smelly. The other back paw doesn't stink). The
clue with this cat is how much he licks at them when something is
wrong.

--
Cheryl

Old February 21st 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Annie Wxill

"Cheryl" wrote in message
What in the world could be causing
his paws so much trouble all the time?
Cheryl

Sorry, I don't have an answer about the paw trouble, but I'm hoping that you
will find a cause and a solution and he will be better soon.

Annie

Old February 21st 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 20 Feb 2007 10:37:42p, Annie Wxill wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

Sorry, I don't have an answer about the paw trouble, but I'm
hoping that you will find a cause and a solution and he will be
better soon.

Thanks Annie. This cat is a riot, though it's a little sad, too. When
I have to do something to him like I did tonight cleaning his paw, he
fights to get away, then he never takes his eyes off of me. If I go
out of the room, he sort of stalks me and peers around corners to see
what I'm up to. He'll lay still if I walk past him almost like he
hopes he's invisible, then follows me and lays down to watch me some
more. He's a very skittish cat, almost very distrustful. Wild
almost. His personality matches his spotted markings.

--
Cheryl

Old February 21st 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry

On Feb 20, 10:05 pm, Cheryl wrote:
The other back paw doesn't stink). The
clue with this cat is how much he licks at them when something is
wrong.

--
Cheryl

Rhett has a history of foot infection, Cheryl has a history of
shampooing the carpet... or buying a certain brand of carpet fresh
type product.

I would go with an allergic reaction, maybe try remember what may be
in or on the carpet.

Hope it goes away.

I like the name Rhett

Old February 21st 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 20 Feb 2007 11:06:00p, Barry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com:

Rhett has a history of foot infection, Cheryl has a history of
shampooing the carpet... or buying a certain brand of carpet
fresh type product.

Actually, neither. This past weekend was a dust mite treatment,
but other than that, I have had the carpets professionally cleaned.
And that was last year. I really need to get rid of the damned
carpet but I can't afford the laminate I want just yet. Last year I
thought it was a food allergy because when I stopped the "new"
food, he didn't get a recurrence. Since then it's come back twice
with no environment changes, other than the leaky pipe that was
fixed last weekend. I hope it's just mold, and that will be fixed
as soon as I have time to get someone to tear out the bathroom
ceiling and replace it. But just the paws? That's my question.
Shamrock has allergies to mold spores, dust mites, cat dander and
some pollens, but he breaks out on his tail, legs, and in the past
his torso. Never his paws. Litter used is fragrance-free.

I would go with an allergic reaction, maybe try remember what
may be in or on the carpet.

Hope it goes away.

I like the name Rhett

He has a sister named Scarlett.

--
Cheryl

Old February 21st 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Barry

On Feb 20, 10:05 pm, Cheryl wrote:
The other back paw doesn't stink). The
clue with this cat is how much he licks at them when something is
wrong.

One side is affected... must have something to do with launch and
breaking patterns.
The others are currently not infected cause historically he's done
licked them tough.
Scar tissue is stronger than non scar tissue.

Is it possible there are places he frequents that you don't or can't
habitually clean? An indoor path. Because if I wear my work boots 3
days in a row without rotating to another work boot, they start to
stink.

Out of curiosity, what do you feed him?
I'm curios about patterns, like a change in his food.

No matter what it is, there is a trigger.

Old February 21st 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Tue 20 Feb 2007 11:21:16p, Barry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
roups.com:

Is it possible there are places he frequents that you don't or
can't habitually clean? An indoor path. Because if I wear my
work boots 3 days in a row without rotating to another work
boot, they start to stink.

I don't think so. I'm not the best housecleaner, but the places
I'm thinking of are those that aren't habitually cleaned unless
you're a clean freak. They get done a couple of times a year, or
less, but I'm talking about things like dusting off nick-nacks or
high shelves that the cats don't get up to. With Shamrock I already
beat myself up that I don't clean those things more often. I
already know that he has allergies to them. Did you ever see his
pic after his visit to the dermatologist? He had a serious grid on
his belly.

Out of curiosity, what do you feed him?

He has eaten Science Diet sensitive stomach dry food for most of
his two and a half years because it was the only thing that cured a
kittenhood diarrhea problem. He thrived on it. He sometimes eats
Bonnie's California Natural.

I'm curios about patterns, like a change in his food.

Lately I have been trying to get him to eat canned food more. He
will nibble at some Fancy Feast, but maybe only a tablespoon before
he runs to the kibble.

No matter what it is, there is a trigger.

I'm sure you're right. I can't find it. Don't know how to find
it.

--
Cheryl

Old February 21st 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Cheryl" wrote

But just the paws? That's my question.
Shamrock has allergies to mold spores, dust mites, cat dander and
some pollens, but he breaks out on his tail, legs, and in the past
his torso. Never his paws. Litter used is fragrance-free.

Isn't Rhett a Bengal mix? Does he play in his water? It almost
sounds fungal.

Old February 21st 07, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 03:05:57 +0000, Cheryl wrote:

[...]

Perhaps he stepped in something (in the litter box?). MLB