Any original posters still here?

Old September 10th 05, 12:15 PM
meee

Default Any original posters still here?

Hi, I'm fairly new to usenet, I am accessing through my mail/news server. I
just have a few question about this group, as I have been 'reprimanded' for
posting a dog question here. can someone clarify the rules as my news server
hasn't included any. What is top posting, why is it so evil, I have figured
out off topic but what are kill files, and why are people calling themselves
'moderators' running around saying they will 'whip the group into shape,'
'report' people (who to?) and posting bad cat jokes, while insulting anyone
who will listen? I already figured out how to 'block' the amazing pussy
whatsit, but are these people important, or are they 'trolls' too. This was
such a nice helpful group last week, any disagreements were arising from
personal opinion differences, and settled gracefully, but now it seems to be
a bit different. Thanks- Confused

Old September 10th 05, 12:34 PM
Katy

"meee" wrote in message
news
Hi, I'm fairly new to usenet ...

Welcome to Usenet!

My suggestion to you is to ignore the posts and posters you do not enjoy
reading. Anyone can post to these groups, which are unmoderated, so many
different types do. It's all part of the fun. You can also go to Google
and search for "killfile" and learn how to use one if you cannot ignore the
posts you do not like. Understand that people are here for many different
reasons, some conflicting.

Some are here just to exhange information about cats, dogs, etc. Some are
here to form emotional ties and make friends. Some are here to get a rise
out of others here. Some are here to stop the ones they think should not be
here from posting. Some are here for other reasons. Good luck figuring out
who is who and try not to take anything personally. Cheers!

Katy

Old September 10th 05, 01:18 PM
Sandra

Some of us are still here! Have no idea what top posting is, most of the cat
lovers don't seem to mind the occasional dog question, as some have both.
Just use your common sense and ignore any nasty stuff.
Have fun,

--
Sandra

Old September 10th 05, 02:33 PM
meee

Katy wrote in message
news:1126352209.32dbb9f3a47ad4f568690d0baa64800e@t eranews...

"meee" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the advice You're right, it is very entertaining reading all
the silly posts, and sometimes joining in...not in a bad way though. I guess
the best way to deal with troublemakers is try to not take them seriously
and make a joke out of it, have a bit of fun! If we take them seriously,
they'll just get satisfaction and be encouraged to do it again. I was just
concerned about being kicked out for not following the rules or something. I
think i'm starting to figure out who the 'regulars' are. You've got a very
interesting group...people from all over. What kind of cats do you have,
katy and sandra? after all, this group is all about the cats!!

Old September 10th 05, 02:38 PM
meee

Barb wrote in message
o.verio.net...
I don't mind an occasional dog post but surely their are dog news groups
that could be most informative?

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Yes, I have found one... alt.pets.pitbulls. Didn't think it would be useful
at first, but it is full of normal, sane people (except for a few of the
same weirdos that annoy people here....) who really like their breed, and
know a lot about dogs. So I will take my doggy Questions to them now, except
if I want a bit of a fresh out look on dog/cat relations, ours being a mixed
family!!! Dogs, cat, parrot, fish and guinea-pig last count....and lots of
geckos. I only posted the Q. here, as I noticed most people had animal
leanings overall, and we were a bit concerned about sascha and honey
adjusting from country to city life.

Old September 10th 05, 05:43 PM
Rhonda

This is top posting -- putting your reply at the top. It ticks some
people off, but I was never good at herd mentality.

It does get confusing if there is a lot of back and forth conversation
and some people reply at top and some at bottom, I tend to bottom-post
on those.

In general, I'd rather read the reply immediately at the top than scroll
down and play find-the-reply.

Just personal preference.

Rhonda

Old September 10th 05, 05:48 PM
Katy

"meee" wrote in message

Thanks for the advice You're right, it is very entertaining reading all
the silly posts, and sometimes joining in...not in a bad way though. I

guess
the best way to deal with troublemakers is try to not take them seriously
and make a joke out of it, have a bit of fun!

You're right! Your first mistake in the newsgroups is taking anything
too seriously. That said, there are some whackos out there, so if
someone actually does bother you, just ignore them. Some of the more
"excitable" types will complain to the Internet Service Providers of those
they do not like, etc., a clear sign one is going 'round the bend. Better
just to take it all with a grain of salt and have fun.

You've got a very
interesting group...people from all over. What kind of cats do you have,
katy and sandra?

I have a little calico ex-stray named Casey, about four years old, and a
solid
black beauty named Moonshine (Moon or moony for short!) who is about nine.
(Hard to know when they are stray.) They both adopted me. How about you?

Old September 11th 05, 09:25 AM
Ajanta

meee wrote:

[...]

Welcome to Usenet. I would suggest you read for a few days before
posting (this is called "lurking").

It is a good idea not to stray too far off topic, eg, posting about
dogs in a cat group.

A group is called moderated if all posts have to be approved by certain
moderator(s). This reducies noise, abusive language etc., but for some
also cuts down spontaneity. There is no general rule. I participate in
the groups I like, moderated or not.

Groups, especially unmoderated ones, do go through changes. After all,
it takes only two persons to argue forever, and only one to keep
posting noise 24 hours a day. It is always best to ignore them, always
a mistake to try to set them straight. They do get bored and move on.

A kill-file allows you to block all posts by some criteria: author's
name, keywords in the subject line, etc. How to create one depends on
your newsreader. I use it, but rarely, finding it much easier to just
read the posts I like and delete the rest. Any further involvement is
seldom worth it. If you pick up a newspaper, do you fume over and argue
with the advertizers or reporters that don't interest you?
Old September 11th 05, 09:28 AM
Ajanta

This is top posting. My answer appears above your question. Some people
find it unnatural to see the answer first and the question later. But
as far as I am concerned, do what you like and ignore compaliners.