Kitty Ears

Old June 23rd 04, 06:37 PM
O J

Default Kitty Ears

Hi All,

Right now, there is in my kitchen, a display of a behavior that
has several names depending on DH's whim. Mostly she just calls it
"giving her ears." It's when a pussycat is who is displeased with you
sits with his back turned but points his ears back at you so as not to
miss anything and to show you his displeasure. At times this is also
known around here as "airplane ears" or "you could slice bread with
those ears."

In this case, it's HFH (His Feline Highness) Smokey giving the
ears to Lynda. I'm not sure, but I think it's that Lynda has returned
from the market without any apparent special treats for the king while
she has brought a special treat for daddy.

Sushi!! Puuurrrr!!!

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old June 23rd 04, 10:30 PM

O J wrote:

Right now, there is in my kitchen, a display of a behavior that
has several names depending on DH's whim. Mostly she just calls it
"giving her ears." It's when a pussycat is who is displeased with you
sits with his back turned but points his ears back at you so as not to
miss anything and to show you his displeasure. At times this is also
known around here as "airplane ears" or "you could slice bread with
those ears."

LOL!!!! What great expressions!! I've heard "airplane ears", but not
the other two. I agree that when a cat is facing away from you and
pointing its ears in your direction, it is definitely "giving you the
ear", not unlike when a human holds up his/her middle finger at you.

I am always fascinated by the communicative aspect of cats' ears, and
how the ear positions add so much to their facial expressions. For
example, if Roxy is sitting near me and I do something unusual, especially
if I make a weird noise, she will turn one ear to the side, while the
rest of her remains completely still. This always looks a bit like a
raised eyebrow to me, as though she's saying, "Oooookaaaay Joyce, so
glad you shared that."

After racing around chasing things (and cats), and generally being
rambunctious, Licorice often sits in the middle of the floor, with big
black eyes and both ears pinned way back (but not downward, just back).
He looks like he's had a few too many to drink, and is just sitting there,
all riled up and slightly befuddled. Actually, he looks a bit stupid, to
be honest. It's clear that, although he has an adult body now, he's
really still a kitten.

I love kitty ears!

Joyce

("You could slice bread with those ears..." chortle!)

Old June 24th 04, 12:49 AM
O J

On Wed, 23 June, Joyce wrote:

I love kitty ears!