Purrs and prayers, please

Old September 13th 10, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

Default Purrs and prayers, please

I took Lily in today for her yearly check-up and shots.
Everything checked out ok, except that she has a heart
murmur. They suggest performing an ultra-sound to see
exactly what is causing the murmur. On a scale of 1-6,
her heart murmur is about a 2-3. The vet says if she was
up in years (10-12) they wouldn't worry so much, but Lily
is only 5.

We will schedule the procedure, but we have to wait a
couple of months to have the money. It's not an
emergency, but any purrs or prayers for her well-being
would be much appreciated.

Lily's mama

from the stars we come
to the stars we return
now until the end of time.

--
Irulan
from the stars we come
Old September 13th 10, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Sep 13, 12:37*pm, "Irulan" wrote:
I took Lily in today for her yearly check-up and shots.
Everything checked out ok, except that she has a heart
murmur. They suggest performing an ultra-sound to see
exactly what is causing the murmur. On a scale of 1-6,
her heart murmur is about a 2-3. The vet says if she was
up in years (10-12) they wouldn't worry so much, but Lily
is only 5.

We will schedule the procedure, but we have to wait a
couple of months to have the money. It's not an
emergency, but any purrs or prayers for her well-being
would be much appreciated.

Our purrs and thoughts are with you and with Lilly. Her lovely name
and the poem that ends each of your posts are a pleasure in our
household, although we would purr just as hard for a less
aesthetically pleasing purrson.

--
Will in New Haven

Old September 13th 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joani H

[...]

Many purrs comin' from this way.
Old September 13th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
NettieCat

On 13 Sep, 17:37, "Irulan" wrote:
I took Lily in today for her yearly check-up and shots.
Everything checked out ok, except that she has a heart
murmur. They suggest performing an ultra-sound to see
exactly what is causing the murmur. On a scale of 1-6,
her heart murmur is about a 2-3. The vet says if she was
up in years (10-12) they wouldn't worry so much, but Lily
is only 5.

We will schedule the procedure, but we have to wait a
couple of months to have the money. It's not an
emergency, but any purrs or prayers for her well-being
would be much appreciated.

I know you're worried, but please don't panic. A majority of the cats
I've had have had a heart murmur, Izzi, Spook, Cav and Annie were all
diagnosed with them, ranging from mild to 'quite severe'. Cav's is the
worst, according to the vet, and he was diagnosed at 2 years old. He's
8 now, and he regulates himself, staying in cooler parts of the house,
not running around too much etc. It's not got any worse, and he's in
good health. Annie's actually got a lot better between the age of 12
months and two years.

I do wonder what the point of the ultrasound would be. If it's going
to be a struggle to find the cost of the ultrasound, which won't
actually help Lily, then why do it? If the vet finds out that the
murmur is due to something that is fixable but expensive, it doesn't
really leave you or Lily any better off, and as I said, cats seem to
deal fairly well with the problem without outside help. A scale 2-3
murmur may not need any treatment, and I would question whether the
ultrasound procedure is really necessary. My vets have always 'kept an
eye on' the situation. Izzi's death was partly due to kidney problems,
and partly to the heart murmur, but she was 16 going on 17 when she
died, and her murmur was a 2-3 / 3-4 depending on the vet listening to
it.

Anyway, there's lots of advice out there on the net, including this:-

http://www.cats.org.uk/documents/vet...01-heartmurmur

I wish you and Lily all the best.

Jeanette

Old September 14th 10, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

"Irulan" wrote in message
I took Lily in today for her yearly check-up and shots.
Everything checked out ok, except that she has a heart
murmur. They suggest performing an ultra-sound to see
exactly what is causing the murmur. On a scale of 1-6,
her heart murmur is about a 2-3. The vet says if she was
up in years (10-12) they wouldn't worry so much, but Lily
is only 5.

We will schedule the procedure, but we have to wait a
couple of months to have the money. It's not an
emergency, but any purrs or prayers for her well-being
would be much appreciated.

Purrs a-plenty! Try not to worry too much. I remember one of my cats being
diagnosed with a heart murmur but then the next visit it wasn't even brought
up. I think the vet just wants you to be aware but that it isn't serious
unless there are other issues, too. I guess if anemia or dehydration comes
into the picture it could be worse. But for a healthy cat, I don't really
think it's something to concern yourself with. Of course, IANAV.

Old September 14th 10, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

"NettieCat" wrote in message

I do wonder what the point of the ultrasound would be. If it's going
to be a struggle to find the cost of the ultrasound, which won't
actually help Lily, then why do it? If the vet finds out that the
murmur is due to something that is fixable but expensive, it doesn't
really leave you or Lily any better off, and as I said, cats seem to
deal fairly well with the problem without outside help.

I agree. Myself, I was diagnosed with a murmur years and years ago and the
first doctor wanted some sort of collection thingie strapped to me but at
the time I didn't have insurance. Now that I do, no Dr has noticed it even
though I do sometimes feel my pulse not beating regularly. I even had a
pre-op EEG just a couple of months ago, and it wasn't detected. I think
sometimes these things are detected when it isn't a regular thing going on.
I'd watch it and see if the vet detects it every time they check. If the
next time they check and it isn't there, it could be just something else
going on.

Old September 14th 10, 08:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 12:37:56 -0400, "Irulan" wrote:

I took Lily in today for her yearly check-up and shots.
Everything checked out ok, except that she has a heart
murmur. They suggest performing an ultra-sound to see
exactly what is causing the murmur. On a scale of 1-6,
her heart murmur is about a 2-3. The vet says if she was
up in years (10-12) they wouldn't worry so much, but Lily
is only 5.

We will schedule the procedure, but we have to wait a
couple of months to have the money. It's not an
emergency, but any purrs or prayers for her well-being
would be much appreciated.

Lily's mama

from the stars we come
to the stars we return
now until the end of time.

Sending purrs for Lilly's heart, and your nerves.

I'm sure Lilly feels just fine

On another note: a cardiac echogram will tell the vet exactly which
valve is leaking, but it almost certainly won't affect how Lilly is
treated.

My bet is that the treatment for Lily is: come back in 3 - 6 months, to
monitor her heart.

If money is tight, I would skip the ultra-sound.

We all want to do what's best for our kittehs, but in this case, I would
save the money for the more frequent office calls.

I have an elderly cat, Kenzie, with some health problems, and I know ALL
about how vet bills can get very large, very quickly.

Kenzie is going in for blood tests in about 10 days. I had to put that
off from last month, too

If I'm missing something about what the ultrasound might tell the vet,
by all means, let me know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100913-1, 09/13/2010
Tested on: 9/14/2010 2:32:44 AM

Old September 14th 10, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann791

On 9/13/2010 12:37 PM, Irulan wrote:
I took Lily in today for her yearly check-up and shots.
Everything checked out ok, except that she has a heart
murmur. They suggest performing an ultra-sound to see
exactly what is causing the murmur. On a scale of 1-6,
her heart murmur is about a 2-3. The vet says if she was
up in years (10-12) they wouldn't worry so much, but Lily
is only 5.

We will schedule the procedure, but we have to wait a
couple of months to have the money. It's not an
emergency, but any purrs or prayers for her well-being
would be much appreciated.

Lily's mama

from the stars we come
to the stars we return
now until the end of time.

Purrs on the way.

--
Ann

in Connecticut
Old September 14th 10, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen[_2_]

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 23:29:33 -0400, "Cheryl"
wrote:

"NettieCat" wrote in message

[...]

You never know. I was reading about the meteorite scientist Harvey
Nininger a few days ago. When he got married he applied for life
insurance and the insurance company doctor told him he had a heart
murmur and would need to take it easy for the rest of his life. He
didn't take it easy and he lived to be 99,

Bud