"Fe Fie Fo Fum, I'll grind his bones to make your bread" hand grinders for chicken bones

Old July 6th 12, 05:50 PM posted to alt.survival,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
pyotr filipivich

Default "Fe Fie Fo Fum, I'll grind his bones to make your bread" hand grinders for chicken bones

Greetings

Making home-made cat food: "cheap" chicken quarters, organs and fish.
Don't yet have a met grinder (the tube which bolts to a board). Been
grinding the quarters, bones and all, in a second (third) hand clamp
to the table, Universal #2 hand grinder. "lots of fun".
Several questions: Sharpening the cutters? Is it possible? How
is it done.

Is there a "better" make & model which will handled a "whole"
chicken? I'm getting good at deboning chicken legs, which does help,
some, but "anyone know of a better way"? That doesn't cost a lot of
cash money?

tschus
pyotr

And yes, I know all about "Don't feed chicken bones to cats". Which
is excellent advice regarding cooked chicken & bones. But raw bones -
with a good knife you can cut them up w/ little or not effort.
Grinding them fine solves the "calcium" problem.
--
pyotr filipivich
What is normal?
Old July 6th 12, 07:28 PM posted to alt.survival,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 09:50:45 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Grinding them fine solves the "calcium" problem.a

You might want to consider just how much calcium is available to the
body consuming bone meal. Calcium availability varies depending on
the source. Calcium carbonate, for example, is a salt and easily
dissolved and absorbed. Calcium in bones is built into the lattice
structure making up the bone material and is not easily released. You
could be eating lots of bone meal and not really getting much usable
calcium.

--
pyotr filipivich
What is normal?

Old July 7th 12, 02:29 AM posted to alt.survival,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
rbowman

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Is there a "better" make & model which will handled a "whole"
chicken? I'm getting good at deboning chicken legs, which does help,
some, but "anyone know of a better way"? That doesn't cost a lot of
cash money?

Wood chipper, but make sure the chickens are dead first or you too will find
15 minutes of fame on the 'net.