E-mail to Friskies - Mad Cow

Old December 29th 03, 06:35 PM
Uncle Fred

Cat Protector wrote:
I don't really think there is much to worry about. The government has said

"The Government" has said a lot of things. Have any of them been
true?

that was the only cow affected by the Mad Cow disease. Supposedly it was a
dairy cow which they are now saying was from Canada.

When Canada had a case, some months back, they had evidence that
the cow may have come from the U.S. It wasn't a certainty then,
and the U.S. claim isn't a certainty now. The one constant is
governments' ability to point fingers at others and deny blame.

Yes, I'm Canadian. Any day we expect to hear Colin Powell on the
television saying that Canadian cows are hiding weapons of mass
destruction. (:-|)

Jetadiah & his Hooman, Fred.

Old December 29th 03, 06:42 PM
Uncle Fred

frlpwr wrote:
Alan Sandoval wrote:

(snip)

Do your companions a big favor and check with your vet for
a quality dry food appropriate for them.

That's fine and dandy if all you feed are a couple of housecats. What
about ferals?

I use a 25lb bag of dry and around 800 oz. of canned food everyday to
feed some 80+ feral cats at various locations in San Francisco. There
is no way I can afford to feed premium food at $25.00/bag and $.69/5.5oz
can.

I care about the ferals every bit as much as I care about the cats that
live with me. What would you have me do?

You know, it's probably not a real threat and hopefully the
authorities are dealing with it in a no-nonsense fashion. If a
pet food company is known to be selling food conatining parts of
an infected animal, then just buy another brand. You don't have
to go "premium."
Also, remember that the threat is extremely small, and there are
probably many other problems with a cheap brand of cat food that
far outweigh the threat of BSE from infected cattle. I wouldn't
loose any sleep over it.

Jetadiah and his hooman, Fred

Old December 29th 03, 07:05 PM
Liz

The only things I know about mad cow disease is what I saw on TV and
if I remember correctly, livestock acquires the disease through the
addition of bones (for calcium) to their commercial food. Therefore,
you might also want to ask about foods containing beef bone, bone
meal, or bone powder. If I also remember correctly, mad cow disease is
caused by a protein and processing does not destroy this protein.

The passage of BSE requires the ingestion of affected parts - of which
bones are not part of the issue. Primarily it is brain tissue and
central nervous tissue in the spine. It is not a virus, but rather a
prion, a much smaller particle than a virus which causes the disease.
Globally there have been 153 deaths - 148 of which were in Britain
where the human consumption of brain tissue was common.

Thanks for the info but according to the site I posted, the disease is
transmitted via meat and bones, and that´s what I remember seeing on
TV too. I didn´t know the British eat brains. That´s interesting! BTW,
a prion is a protein that is capable of reproducing itself somehow.

"The Cause of BSE in Great Britain
Epidemiological data suggest that BSE in Great Britain is a
common-source epidemic involving animal feed containing contaminated
meat and bone meal as a protein source. The causative agent is
suspected to be from either scrapie- affected sheep or cattle with a
previously unidentified TSE. Changes in rendering practices in the
late 70's—early 1980's may have potentiated the agent's survival in
meat and bone meal."

Old December 30th 03, 02:28 AM
Steve Crane

(Liz) wrote in message . com...

[...]

I have no clue where, or perhaps more importantly when, the above was
written. It is very clearly in error. There is absolutely NO danger
from eating the normal muscle tissue of even an infected cow. The only
danger exists within the brain and CNS system.

Old December 30th 03, 03:31 AM
Cat Protector

Given that this is the first case of Mad Cow Disease, I'd say our government
has told the truth. It has been said on the news that the Holstein cow was
indeed from a herd in Canada. It was slaughtered but it was stated that the
beef went to 8 states but that some of the parts of the infected cow that
were said to be where the disease appears like the brain and spinal column
were not ground up so I would imagine that the cat food companies are not
going to have it show up in canned or dry food. I do think that those
reporting the news of the Mad Cow scare need to also state that animals
other than humans such as cats are at risk. I have seen "human" this and
"human" that in regards to this scare but nothing warning that our feline
friends can be affected.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com