Help! My cat won't let me comb him

Old July 19th 03, 03:29 AM
Cheryl

Default Help! My cat won't let me comb him

"OSTIAANTIC" wrote in message

I've had long haired cats in the past who just loved their daily

combing so I'm
a little perplexed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If it's horribly matted, I'd take him to a groomer and have them shave
them out. After that, wear gloves until he's used to it. Even the
Playtex gloves should help and still allow dexterity. Maybe the
pulling on the fur hurts so after he's shaved, there shouldn't be a
pain factor, only a memory factor so just comb softly while he's
getting used to it. I'm going through this with a short haired feral
who doesn't like to be combed but her underfur (?) is matting
horribly. She's a solid black cat but all the fur coming off (and it
is a LOT) is gray. I comb her with gloves on.

Old July 19th 03, 03:51 AM
L. Kelly

"OSTIAANTIC" wrote in message
| My 3 year old long hair cat attacks me every time I try to gently comb him &
| his fur is horribly matted. He's a mess, yet I get hissed & spat at just for
| taking out the comb & scisssors.
|
| Up until now we've gotten along fine, but he's starting to hate me over this &
| has taken to hiding from me. He's extremely protective of his lower body &
| even as a kitten wouldn't let me comb him. Now after 3 years of not combing his
| fur is a major problem. He also develops hairballs because of this.
|
| I've had long haired cats in the past who just loved their daily combing so I'm
| a little perplexed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
|
| Thanks,
| Kathy in CT

Hi Kathy,

I would suggest getting your kitty professionally groomed this one time. Once the matts
are out and the fur is easier to comb through you should have better luck. It is probably
hurting an awful lot to have those tangles pulled on no matter how gentle you think you
are.

After this is done, don a pair of gloves and use a "slicker" brush. The slicker feels
like a cats tongue on their skin and your kitty may take to that better than a comb. It
is made up of hundreds of soft metal wire bristles and both my boys come running as soon
as I pick it up. They actually will fight over who gets brushed first because they love
it that much.

Good luck.
--
Hugs,
Lynn

*strip CLOTHES to reply*
Homepage:
http://members.shaw.ca/sewfinefashions/
See my boys: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/papavince_29/

Old July 19th 03, 03:51 AM
L. Kelly

Old July 20th 03, 12:55 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"wombn" wrote in message

That sounds like my late Wally Kitty. He'd shred everyone but me.
--

Sasha *loved* my dad and if she were "protecting" one of my dad's shirts,
she would snap at anyone who tried to take it away. She also lunged at the

rona

Old July 20th 03, 03:41 AM
OSTIAANTIC

Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions. My cat will definitely have to be
sedated before any major grooming can take place. Guarding his fur & matts has
become his major issue! Will call in the pros next week.

Kathy in CT