Urgent purrs needed please

Old May 8th 12, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Default Urgent purrs needed please - Update

Christina Websell wrote:

Start eating purrs coming from here.
You need to ask your vet why this happened, it's not from a little piece of
cucumber.
Tweed

Thanks Tweed.

I have been racking my brains about why this happened. I can think of a
couple of possibilities.

Kotyo had surgery to remove a skin tumor last Wednesday (so 4 days
before this happened). I read online that sometimes the tube they use
for the anesthesia might cause a break in the trachea. But, if that was
the case, why did it take 4 days to manifest? From what I read, the
break would have become evident right away. Also I don't think the
anesthesia tube goes all the way down into the chest, and that is where
the hole is - that's why it is so dangerous, because it is inside his
chest and impossible to get to and repair from the outside.

Another possibility might be, maybe, that I got some liquid antibiotic
to go into his airway when I was syringing it into him, after the
surgery. I was trying to put it on his tongue, but he's a slippery
little monster. I don't know if an antibiotic liquid might have some
corrosive properties and it weakened his trachea maybe...

Yesterday the vet just said that he had never seen anything like this
before, but that having a hole in the trachea is consistent with
inhaling a foreign body. And I can understand if it was something solid,
like a button maybe. But a tiny bit of cucumber... And it was definitely
not a button or anything like that. It happened right in front of my
mom's eyes. She gave him the cucumber bits on a clean, freshly rinsed
plate. He ate them up, and immediately started choking. And the x-rays
didn't show any foreign bodies at all. It's just the strangest thing...

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
--
Little Monster pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Kotyo
Sweety pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/nnakova/Sweety
Old May 8th 12, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Adrian wrote:

Continuing purrs. It sounds hopeful.

Thank you Adrian. I definitely feel more hopeful today. Yesterday when I
got home from the vet hospital I was a complete basket case...

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old May 8th 12, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Nadia N. wrote:

[...]

Maybe it was a small hole at first, too small to cause him any noticeable
problem with breathing, and then the cucumber got stuck in there and, I
don't know, caused the hole to get bigger? What an odd, mysterious injury.

Continued purrs!!

--
Joyce

Anyone who has accustomed himself to regard the life of any living
creature as worthless is in danger of arriving also at the idea of
worthless human lives. -- Albert Schweitzer
Old May 8th 12, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Nadia N." wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Start eating purrs coming from here.
You need to ask your vet why this happened, it's not from a little piece
of cucumber.
Tweed

Thanks Tweed.

I have been racking my brains about why this happened. I can think of a
couple of possibilities.

Kotyo had surgery to remove a skin tumor last Wednesday (so 4 days before
this happened). I read online that sometimes the tube they use for the
anesthesia might cause a break in the trachea. But, if that was the case,
why did it take 4 days to manifest?he x-rays didn't show any foreign
bodies at all. It's just the strangest thing...

I think you just have told me what happened, the tube they used for his
previous procedure last week has perforated his trachea.
They need to address this and accept responsiblity for it. If they don't,
sue them within an inch of their life.
Tweed

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety

Old May 9th 12, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Christina Websell wrote:
"Nadia N." wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I suppose it is possible. Kotyo's vet already brought up the
possibility, but he said that he didn't think this was the cause because
it took so long for Kotyo to show symptoms of the problem. He said that
in cases of the anesthesia tube perforating the trachea it becomes
obvious right away, within hours at most. Unless it made a very tiny
tear and when the monster choked on the cucumber and tried to cough it
out, this caused it to widen suddenly, maybe? But even that seems like a
strange thing to happen. Tears caused by the anesthesia tube heal on
their own in a few days, and this happened on the 5th day after Kotyo's
surgery. He didn't show any signs of problems before that, no wheezing
or shortness of breath.

I would almost prefer to have the cause be the anesthesia, actually. My
mom has been going crazy blaming herself for the past 2 days, because
she gave him the cucumber bits.

I will ask the hospital vet if that could be the cause when I go see
Kotyo tomorrow. He is not the one who did the surgery so he should be
able to give me an unbiased opinion.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old May 9th 12, 12:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

Bastette wrote:

Maybe it was a small hole at first, too small to cause him any noticeable
problem with breathing, and then the cucumber got stuck in there and, I
don't know, caused the hole to get bigger? What an odd, mysterious injury.

Continued purrs!!

Yes, it does seem plausible that something like that might have
happened, doesn't it? I will ask the hospital vet tomorrow how likely it is.

Thank you for the purrs.

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old May 9th 12, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Nadia N." wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Nadia N." wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Start eating purrs coming from here.
You need to ask your vet why this happened, it's not from a little
piece of cucumber.
Tweed

Thanks Tweed.

I have been racking my brains about why this happened. I can think of a
couple of possibilities.

Kotyo had surgery to remove a skin tumor last Wednesday (so 4 days
before this happened). I read online that sometimes the tube they use
for the anesthesia might cause a break in the trachea. But, if that was
the case, why did it take 4 days to manifest?he x-rays didn't show any
[...]

mom has been going crazy blaming herself for the past 2 days, because she
gave him the cucumber bits.

I will ask the hospital vet if that could be the cause when I go see Kotyo
tomorrow. He is not the one who did the surgery so he should be able to
give me an unbiased opinion.

I am not an expert but it seems to me cat fine, gets an operation with a
tube down the throat and then has a tear in the trachea? No brainer, your
vet caused it.
Tweed

Old May 9th 12, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 05/08/2012 03:58 PM, Nadia N. wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

You said he likes to eat/play with "uncooked pasta". A bit of hard
pasta could do damage. That might be a clue to the cause.

We continue to send "good recovery" purrs and prayers. MLB and TuTu
Old May 9th 12, 07:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nadia N.

MLB wrote:

You said he likes to eat/play with "uncooked pasta". A bit of hard
pasta could do damage. That might be a clue to the cause.

We continue to send "good recovery" purrs and prayers. MLB and TuTu

Thanks for the purrs and prayers.

He hasn't been near any uncooked pasta in months. I don't think we even
have a package of pasta in the cupboards right now. The more I think
about it, and the more I read about tracheal perforation online, the
more likely I think that it was the anesthesia that did it. It might not
have outright perforated his trachea, but it might have damaged it. And
then on Monday he had a hairball, and the strain of horking it up could
have made the damage worse, and then 40 minutes later he chokes on the
cucumber and that just finishes the job... I will be asking the vet
about it today. The encouraging thing is that all the info I read about
tracheal perforation online says that, as long as you manage to get the
cat through the initial crisis, the damage should heal itself. And even
if surgery is required to repair the trachea, the chances of a full
recovery are pretty good. So right now I am hopeful...

Nadia, Kotyo and Sweety
Old May 9th 12, 10:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_4_]

On 05/09/2012 12:34 AM, Nadia N. wrote:
MLB wrote:

[...]

That sounds reasonable and we certainly will continue concentrating on
a good recovery. MLB and TuTu