Your opinion please. My upcoming holiday

Old September 28th 03, 07:13 AM
Kuisse0002

Default Your opinion please. My upcoming holiday

Every year I return to our house in another state (2hrs flight) and spend a
month there (X'mas and NY hols). Should I bring my cat with me. This will be
the first time she flys. She's 5 yrs. I've had her for a few months already.
She's in good health but very skittish. Vet said she personally would not make
her sleep throughout because its for her own safety and also airlines prefer it
that way. I've read of many horrendous airline experiences and yet I've seen
many pets travel in the airplane too. My will have to be in the cargo section.

Question: Should I bring her or leave her at home with a month's supply of
food. Personally I know she would prefer to be left alone except for food time
becasue she sleeps 20 hours of the day in my private backyard and comes in to
eat only. But That's not being fair to her as a pet owner.

Old September 28th 03, 03:13 PM
MaryL

"Kuisse0002" wrote in message
[...]

Certainly, do not leave her alone for a month!! Any number of emergencies
could arise during your absence. And your cat would undoubtedly be lonely.
It may seem to you that your cat sleeps most of the time (which is normal),
but she has your company when she wants it.

Why did you say she would have to be placed in cargo? I used to travel by
plane with my cats (one cat at a time), and I always took my cat in the
cabin with me. You would need to check in advance to make sure that you can
take the cat in the cabin because some airlines do not permit it. Of those
that do permit it, many permit only one cat per cabin, so you will want to
make a reservation as far in advance as possible for both you and your cat.
Check for the airline's requirements for under-seat carryons, and use a cat
carrier that fits within those dimensions. Your cat will be placed under
the seat in front of you and will take the place of one piece of carryon
luggage (but you will be charged the same as it the cat were placed in
cargo -- which I would NEVER recommend). I always requested an aise seat
because it was easier to slide the carrier in from the aisle. However, be
sure to double-check dimensions if you plan to do this because there is an
extra bar under the seat on the aisle side, and the reduces the available
size somewhat. You will also need a health certificate from your
veterinarian. Airlines usually don't check it, but it is required and is
very important "just in case" they do check (since you don't want to risk
having your cat denied passage or placed in quarantine).

I used a tranqualizer the first time I traveled with my first cat, and I
greatly regretted it. He was extremely ill. I had to keep him on a harness
or several hours after the flight ended for his own safety because he was so
that he was so disoriented that he would stumble into walls if I didn't have
a harness to control it. After that, I always traveled without
tranqualizing, and never had any problems. You might want to take a couple
of pills with you in the event of emergency. However, airline rules
prohibit taking the cat out of the carrier while on board. Once we got on
the plane, each cat was quiet. They would sleep through most of the flight,
although I would occasionally see them looking up at me. I made all
"restroom breaks" as short as possible because the only that one of my cats
would cry was when I left the seat.

I now have two cats, and I left my cats in my house when I traveled for two
weeks this summer. However, I hired a pet-sitter to come in twice a day to
feed them and also spend some time playing with them. That turned out to be
ideal because the pet-sitter I located loves cats and gave them plenty of
time. It eliminated the problem of a frightened cat being taken into a new
environment for a limited period of time. Would that be a possibility for
you? If so, I think this would be the better solution. Be sure to get a
sitter who will spend time with your cat every day and who will make
occasional phone calls to you to report on the situation. And make
arrangements with your vet for your cat's care if an emergency arises and
the sitter has to take the cat in for veterinary care.

Good luck! And have a great vacation.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction -- http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

Old September 28th 03, 05:57 PM
Thomas F. Maguire

MaryL -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote in message
[...]

Out of curiousity (and the fact that I'm going to have a cat-sitter for my
one cat for five days while I'm away), how much did you pay your sitter. I'm
trying to set a fair price.

Thanks,
Tom
--