What Kitty Litter Works Best?

Old January 20th 04, 11:21 AM
Christina

Thanks for this advice...I would have never thought about using this as cat
litter. I might try it out and see how it works, a bit worried that they may
play with it though or chew on it, do you have this problem with your
younger cats? I'm not worried if they spread it around the litter box since
I'm always sweeping around the area at least twice a day as it is (they
sometimes like to play IN the litter box together, just worried they may
drag the shavings all over the house and use it as a toy.

Christina

--
http://www.geocities.com/christinamarie29/ourpage.html
"Knack" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Christina" wrote in message
Hi I'm new here, although I've been "lurking" and reading the posts for

few days. I have two male cats (brothers) Scooby and Sylvester who will
make a year on May 1st. I have tried all types of different litter, the
scoopable, non-scoop, scented, unscented. I guess I'm just curious as

what works best for everyone else who is a cat owner. The past two

weeks
have switched to the non-scoopable Tidy Cat and find myself having to

dump
it and hose it out, dry, refill daily. Is this the best method? When I

use
the scoopable litter it leaves little clumps and just never seems very

clean
to me, which is why I'm emptying it on a daily basis. Thanks for your
suggestions! Also, if I can ask one more question, I bathe them once a

week,
is that too often?

As you can tell, I am a fairly new "mommy" of these kittens so I need

all
the advice I can get.

I used clumping clay litter for 8 years until this summer, when I switched
to wood products. This year I tested pine shavings, cedar shavings and

wood
pellets. My 2 adult cats had no problem with the switchover, and neither

did
my 2 kittens who were previously cared for at the shelters with clay

litter.
I wish I had discovered wood shavings years ago.

The are so many advantages that the choice of pine/cedar shavings over any
type of clay litter is quite overwhelming: far more moisture absorbent

(less
maintenance), far lower cost of use, far lighter weight (easier to

handle),
superior odor abatement, zero ammonia formation, easier disposal, and even
recycleable as a landscape mulch. You can easily scoop out the fecal

matter
from pine/cedar/shavings too; quicker than with clay litter because the
shavings can quickly be pushed aside to find the feces. Although the
tracking of wood shavings is more visible than clay, it's much easier to
clean up. This tracking is especially easier to clean up than clumping

clay
litter if it should become scattered over a damp basement floor.

Both pine and cedar shavings are sold not only at pet stores but at places
like K-Mart and Wal-Mart for US$6-$9 per 2 cu. ft. bag. At pet stores

expect
those prices to be up to 30% higher. Don't look for wood shavings in the
area of the stores where cat products are kept though; find them where the
stuff for rabbits, ferrets and hamsters is kept.

Spent (urine containing) cedar shavings will last far longer than pine as

landscape mulch.

Although both types of wood shavings are amazingly cheap, pine's cost of
usage is at least half the cost of cedar mostly because it expands to

twice
its volume; the minute you transfer it from its packaging to the litter

box
(higher compression in its packaging).

With regards to wood *pellets*, I would steer people away from them;
especially the expensive pine ones marketed as cat litter. If you choose
wood pellets though, buy the cheap ones that are marketed as fuel for
stoves; sold at places like Home Depot during the heating season. My main
complaint with wood pellets is that they break down to a dust that gets
tracked further away from the litterbox than does shavings. That dust also
becomes an airborn contaminant of the indoor environment that you share

with
your cat(s). My other complaint of wood pellets (not shavings) is that a
litter bed of it weighs almost as much as that of clay. The positives of
wood pellets are its equalities with wood shavings: moisture absorption,
odor abatement, zero ammonia formation, very low usage cost, and disposal

in
the landscape.

All types of wood products can be used in an enclosed litter box for

further
odor abatement. That's how I use the wood shavings.

Old January 23rd 04, 02:13 AM
Knack

"Christina" wrote in message
Thanks for this advice...I would have never thought about using this as

cat
litter. I might try it out and see how it works, a bit worried that they

may
play with it though or chew on it, do you have this problem with your
younger cats? I'm not worried if they spread it around the litter box

since
I'm always sweeping around the area at least twice a day as it is (they
sometimes like to play IN the litter box together, just worried they may
drag the shavings all over the house and use it as a toy.

Have 2 adult cats and two 9 month-old kittens sharing a 19" (48cm) x 13"
(33cm) litterbox and I've never seen any of them playing with or eating the
wood shavings inside or outside the litterbox. I scoop out the feces once a
day and completely replace the wood shavings (only a couple pounds) every
3rd day. I'd estimate that the cost of use is probably no more than US 35
cents per week.

If you have a thick carpet, then the tracked shavings are easier to vacuum
clean than clay because the shavings don't get worked into the carpet (they
rest on top). The shavings are also dust free which eliminates the problem
of a dust cloud settling all around the litterbox (as with pouring fresh
clay litter from its packaging).

However, the wood shavings' light weight combined with its static charge
causes a tiny amount of it to occasionally cling to a cat's leg fur. That
stuff usually falls off on a nearby chair or wherever the closest place is
that kitty sprawls out to rest. Also I've noticed that on a very smooth
floor surface the tracked wood shavings can be swooshed (air turbulence)
along the floor by traffic, transporting it further way from the litterbox.
It's very quick and easy to sweep off a smooth floor though; much faster
than vacuuming.

It takes no more than 3 minutes for me to both scoop the feces and sweep the
floor as a daily chore.

Old January 23rd 04, 02:13 AM
Knack

"Christina" wrote in message
[...]

Kitty litter cake Hans Schrøder Cat anecdotes 0 November 4th 04 05:43 PM
Kitty litter cake Yoj Cat anecdotes 2 October 3rd 04 03:50 AM
New litter box or new toy?(long) jemifur Cat anecdotes 9 June 23rd 04 04:37 AM
Yu noze, I furgotz tu tellz yurownselfz abowt da TROODUR KITTY... Amelia T Cat Cat community 6 February 28th 04 12:13 PM