Kitten peeing in her bed? How do I stop this?

Old June 15th 04, 08:59 AM
Eden

Default Kitten peeing in her bed? How do I stop this?

My husband and I acquired a 4 week old kitten a few days ago. I am in
the process of trying to litter train her, which is proving difficult.
She seems to have a thing for towels (I think?) I have been making
her a bed with towels, and she keeps peeing on it. I also put a towel
on her litterbox with litter over it, so she'd link the two together,
but why does she keep peeing in her own bed? She SLEEPS there? I'm
surprised she'd soil it.

Any suggestions on training her not to use her bed? I should note
that she's currently living on our ground floor which is tiled, and I
don't want to take the bedding away because I don't want her to sleep
on a hard floor. Additionally, any ideas of what to use instead of
towels for her to sleep on, in case she associates toweling with
urine?

Is she just too young to "get it"?

Many thanks!

Eden
Old June 15th 04, 10:55 AM
Sherry

I also put a towel
on her litterbox with litter over it, so she'd link the two together,
but why does she keep peeing in her own bed? She SLEEPS there? I'm
surprised she'd soil it.

She's a baby. Way too tiny to be without her mother. Laura's given some great
links; I just wanted to add, that when I've raised orphans, I used a small pan
with 1" sides The sides are too tall on commercial litterboxes. Good luck with
your new baby.

Old June 15th 04, 04:38 PM
Eden

Thanks for your advice. I am using a baking tray (not to be cooked
with later!) as her litter box, and have placed a soft towel with
litter on top of it. I put her in there quite often and she does pee
in there too (although poop has ended up on my husband's desk!)

I thought 4 weeks was too early too, but when we went to visit the
woman with the litter (she has 10 cats), this was the last one left
and she said the kitten was eating solid food, and was fine to go.
And because of the food issue, we thought it was okay. We figured she
knew what she was talking about!

So, just so I understand - will our kitten finally get the hang of
this all? Is she just too young? Additionally, what are the links
that Laura has given? I haven't seen them.

Thanks so much!

Eden

Old June 15th 04, 05:21 PM
Mary

"Eden" wrote in message
om...
My husband and I acquired a 4 week old kitten a few days ago.

Laura is right, she is way too young. I had always heard that kittens should
be at least six weeks old, and now I think the recommendation is that they
be older than that before separated from their mothers. If her mother is not
dead or otherwise unavailable, someone has made a bad decision.