of mice and cats

Old April 9th 04, 06:09 AM
Dennis Carr

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:34:31 -0700, Steve G wrote:

Asking if a carnivore and its prey will be best buds is a bit like
asking if cheese would be a suitable material from which to make an
artifical kneecap.

Oh, so THAT is why my right kneecap bothers me so. Also explains the
intense urge to use my knee for making quesadillas. =^^=

Seriously, though, I kind of figured this - thus the original question.
In any case, thanks again everybody for their answers.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old April 9th 04, 05:20 PM
Alison

Dennis Carr wrote:

As for the matching pair... um.... hooboy. Alison, would you by any
chance know about how much your vet would charge to neuter a mouse,
ballpark figure? Or should we just get another cage?

Several cages. :/ If she's bigger than your thumb I'd say there's an 85%
chance she's preggers. (Fertility in females is possible at 4 weeks of
age, probable by 5 weeks and almost certain by 6 weeks.) And her male
offspring will fight to the death so must be housed separately. And her
current "partner in crime" will happily re-impregnate her within 24
hours of her litter's birth.

Brace for a population explosion.

If you can find a vet who will neuter a mouse this is a great option
because it will limit the incredibly offensive "musk" that the boys
have. Shouldn't be more than $50 from what I've heard. If you can catch
your fella before he causes any irreparable damage, it's a one-off
expense that will make your mouse-owning experience that much nicer.

Best of luck,
Alison in OH

PS - Someday that bathroom door won't latch perfectly. I urge you to
find sturdy housing for your little guys.

Old April 11th 04, 01:21 PM

Geez, we're trying to get rid of the little buggers, and you're
bringing them in voluntarily. :-)
Old April 11th 04, 01:21 PM