Being a Considerate Cat Owner

Old July 29th 03, 05:55 PM
Sylvia M.

Default Being a Considerate Cat Owner

Some people have used moth-ball flakes around the forbidden area, but if it
were me, I would check first with my vet.

Sylvia

"bewtifulfreak" wrote in message
Anyone have suggestions for keeping your cats out of a garden they're
unwelcome in? I don't want to have to keep them in, as they've been
enjoying going out for more than a year now - since before this person

moved
in, in fact - and they're generally very safe roaming out back, but I do
respect the fact that she's not too happy that they're interfering with

her
garden. She claims to have tried everything and given up; I have no idea
what she actually has tried, as she didn't really seem to want to discuss
the subject, seemed politely but annoyedly resigned, so I feel the onus is
on me. But other than try and fence little areas in the bushes that they
sneak through (and they could still just jump onto and over the fence),

I'm
at a real loss as to what I might do to resolve the situation. I want to
keep both neighbor and cats happy, but have no idea how I might acheive
this! Any ideas would be most gratefully received.

Ann

P.S. She never actually brought it up, but we had to go and ask her when

we
saw her out back once if the cats were bothering her or interfering with

her
garden, and got the answer we'd hoped not to hear! All the more reason I
wish I could do something about it, because even though she's doesn't

really
go out of her way to be neighborly to us, she's always been polite and

never
made the stink that she could have about the cats, so I'd really like to

try
and show her some consideration in return.

Old July 29th 03, 09:28 PM
bewtifulfreak

Great ideas about pepper and the box! To be honest, I'm not sure what
they're doing in particular, just that when my hubby said, "I hope the cats
aren't bothering you," and I said, "They're not messing up your garden or
anything, are they?" she just looked sheepish and nodded. So I don't know
if they're chewing, digging, pooping, or what, but the box sure couldn't
hurt, as I know they use their box a *lot* less when they're going outside a
lot (virtually never, unless I don't let them out for a day), so they must
be going somewhere, and her garden is as likely a place as any. I have seen
one of them use our yard, which is a bit of a wasteland at the moment, so it
stands to reason they very well might be using the nice soft soil in hers as
well. And the pepper thing is great, too (similar to the mothballs, except
no question as to toxicity), I'll definitely have to try that! I was also
thinking some kind of extention for our garden wall; before we bought the
place, the landlord replaced the crumbled half of the wall with a fence
(after years of hassle from the previous neighbors, since before we moved
in!), and that's too thin for them to jump on (I *think*), but part of the
remaining wall is low enough for them to jump on and over, and they do, so I
was also thinking maybe something to extend that a bit higher, but not sure
what....but anyway, those other ideas sound really helpful, and will
definitely try them!

Thanks to everyone who responded, what a great bunch....

Ann

Old July 29th 03, 11:04 PM
Karen Chuplis

"pcb" wrote in message
bewtifulfreak wrote:

... so I
was also thinking maybe something to extend that a bit higher, but not

sure
what....but anyway, those other ideas sound really helpful, and will
definitely try them!

Thanks to everyone who responded, what a great bunch....

Ann

I had something similar to this made in my garden.
http://www.mainecoonguild.org.uk/Gar...en_safety.html

Maybe it will give you some ideas of what you can do in your own garden.

pcb

Nice!

Old July 29th 03, 11:07 PM
bewtifulfreak

"pcb" wrote in message

I had something similar to this made in my garden.
http://www.mainecoonguild.org.uk/Gar...en_safety.html

Maybe it will give you some ideas of what you can do in your own garden.

Another good idea, especially because my spoil sport husband had to go and
mention that, helpful though many of the ideas mentioned have been, the
frequent rains of England could interfere with many of them, while it
doesn't stop the cats going out any (they may hate the idea of baths, but
they sure don't seem to mind the rain)! So, although I'm definitely still
going to try many of the other good ideas suggested - we do get a decent dry
spell in summer - a large enclosure like that might work best in the long
run; not only would it please the neighbor with the garden, but the other
neighbors' dog would probably appreciate not being harassed any more as
well! Only thing is, it looks *terribly* expensive, and we're permanently
broke at the moment, at least until some things get paid off, so that good
idea will have to be filed at the moment for future reference....

Ann

Old July 29th 03, 11:41 PM
Agua Girl

"pcb" wrote in message

[...]

I bet it's not that expensive if done by hubby! What a great fun project
too
and the website was nice enough to provide instructions. I think it looks
wonderful! I don't have a problem with Sasha leaving her yard but I may
do something similar just because I like the looks and it will keep strays
from
harassing Sasha when she plays outside. Print it out, go over it with your
hubby and modify to fit your needs then go down to the local hardware and
price it out. You may be surprised since it doesn't have to be made out of
2x4.

AG

Old July 30th 03, 01:01 AM
Cheryl

"pcb" wrote in message

I had something similar to this made in my garden.
http://www.mainecoonguild.org.uk/Gar...en_safety.html

What a beautiful garden!

Old July 30th 03, 02:05 AM

http://www.feralcat.com/fence.html
http://www.catfence.com/pictures.htm

This diagram shows you the basic idea
http://www.catfence.com/images/drawing.jpg
Adding a layer of "fencing material" atop
your existing fence that tilts in toward your yard.
Can be done inexpensively as a family project.

Another good pic for the idea
http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/backyard.html

Use google, and search.
Cat fencing is common.

Old July 30th 03, 01:05 PM
The Charming Ones

"bewtifulfreak" wrote in message
Anyone have suggestions for keeping your cats out of a garden they're
unwelcome in? I don't want to have to keep them in, as they've been
enjoying going out for more than a year now - since before this person

moved
in, in fact - and they're generally very safe roaming out back, but I do
respect the fact that she's not too happy that they're interfering with

her
garden. She claims to have tried everything and given up; I have no idea
what she actually has tried, as she didn't really seem to want to discuss
the subject, seemed politely but annoyedly resigned, so I feel the onus is
on me.

Some neighbours are like that. But try this: I actually suggested this to
my other neighbour [nice one] who di the right thing and came and told me
that our cat kept ****ing and it's statring to smell on her air conditioner
unit.
So I suggested use a water bottle and every time they go where they are not
suppose to just squirt them with the water bottle. It worked wonders. ;o)
TT

Old July 30th 03, 10:03 PM
Dee

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, bewtifulfreak wrote:

"Cheryl" wrote in message

I need to add a picture from the outside, but here is one of my
kitties enjoying the sun
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...82978103lvhuIP

Your Shadow's a doll, he looks almost exactly like my Greebo (big ol' black
boy with teddy bear face)!

Aww Cheryl *hug* !!

I don't usually get to look at everyone's photos because pine doesn't
support links (and I haven't figured out how to cut and paste with the
windows 2000 telnet box), but I had to see Shadow, I feel like he's out
brother! He's just as handsome as can be. I'm looking at your after
hospital pics now, and I feel so bad for both of you. I know just how you
felt. It makes me sad to see the little shaved spot on Shadow's leg, h0p
had them in his front and back legs each more than once the first time,
and has a new one now. It always bothered me that Sunny died with her
front legs shaved like that ...just didn't seem right. Well, hell. that
all got more maudlin than I'd intended! Shadow's awesome, he reminds me
of my Sam

Dee